PCI - Z, provides information about (unknown) PCI devices

Applications, Games, Tools, User libs and useful stuff coded in PureBasic
bbanelli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PCI - Z, provides information about (unknown) PCI devices

Post by bbanelli »

Greetings to all,

PCI-Z is a freeware lightweight system utility designed to provide information about (unknown) PCI (PCI-E, PCI-X...) devices and helps you find appropriate device drivers.

PCI-Z is designed for detecting unknown hardware on your Windows based PC. It will help you determine vendor, device and certain details about device even if you don't have drivers installed. Software uses The PCI ID Repository, a public repository of all known ID's used in PCI devices: ID's of vendors, devices, subsystems and device classes. It is used in various programs (e.g. The PCI Utilities) to display full human-readable names instead of cryptic numeric codes. It is almost similar to lspci Linux command but with full Windows support.

http://www.pci-z.com/

I plan and hope to publish new version during summer time and than provide full source code.

With my best,

Bruno
"If you lie to the compiler, it will get its revenge."
Henry Spencer
https://www.pci-z.com/
luis
Addict
Addict

Re: PCI - Z, provides information about (unknown) PCI device

Post by luis »

Hi, I just found about your software, it's a neat idea.
It's also nice you can update the database file from the program.

I have one suggestion, you have a menu item "Search for driver" which uses the vendor name.

I would put two entries instead: "Search for driver by vendor" and "Search for driver by device" (or by using a submenu like you did for "Copy ...").

I did some experiment and the second one returned good results.

The first one, even if it can be useful is often too much generic.

I know you can already copy and paste each field and so you can do the search by yourself, but since there is already an option in the menu ...

I'm adding this to my list of utilities !

EDIT:

uhm... a problem with the single console/gui hybrid concept... did you try to launch it from a shortcut ? (console doesn't close)

In my experience trying to do make a single console/gui program under windows is a battle you can't win, there will always something going to bite you in the ass, sooner or later.

Also ... try to set the shortcut option "Run" to Maximized, well this should be fixable :P

And maybe... the first field in the status bar (the one with the database info) should resize too when you resize the window.. so you can read the full line.
"Have you tried turning it off and on again ?"
A little PureBasic review
bbanelli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by bbanelli »

luis wrote:Hi, I just found about your software, it's a neat idea.
It's also nice you can update the database file from the program.

I have one suggestion, you have a menu item "Search for driver" which uses the vendor name.

I would put two entries instead: "Search for driver by vendor" and "Search for driver by device" (or by using a submenu like you did for "Copy ...").

I did some experiment and the second one returned good results.

The first one, even if it can be useful is often too much generic.

I know you can already copy and paste each field and so you can do the search by yourself, but since there is already an option in the menu ...

I'm adding this to my list of utilities !
Thanks for the support. :)

I have paused development in last few months but apart from better driver search, there will be some additional new stuff inside, primarily Unicode support. I was quite surprised how popular software is in Japan, believe it or not. :D

uhm... a problem with the single console/gui hybrid concept... did you try to launch it from a shortcut ? (console doesn't close)
Yeah, it's same if you try launching it from network share, for example...
In my experience trying to do make a single console/gui program under windows is a battle you can't win, there will always something going to bite you in the ass, sooner or later.
I've spent some time searching this forum and other resources (Stack Overflow and similar) and yes, it is quite pain in the ass. But the point is to have application that can work in any environment and conditions with minimal resources, that's why I've packed pci.ids inside EXE and some other things.
Also ... try to set the shortcut option "Run" to Maximized, well this should be fixable :P
Ain't nobody got time for maximizing. :D In addition, shortcut? Application has few hundred kilobytes, you can copy it indefinitely on your hard drive, it doesn't need shortcuts. :D

Nevertheless, I see the bug. But it resizes normally when you press maximize button when you start regularly. In any case, I will inspect that, thanks! :)
Henry Spencer
Bisonte
Addict
Addict

Post by Bisonte »

This is a nice piece of software, that I use very often to install windows 7 on laptops, they come with windows 8 preinstalled.
On their websites are only win8 drivers so this is the best check what components are inside.

A small sugestion... Is it possible to get the name of the mainboard ?
Sometimes is better to download the drivers from the original mainboard facturer (desktop pc's)
.... So I can delete "Speccy" ;)

I don't know that is programmed in PB by you...

I'm surprised Image

Im looking forward to see the source ...
PureBasic 6.04 LTS (Windows x86/x64) | Windows10 Pro x64 | Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus | R9 5900X | 64GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3080 TI iChill X4 | HAF XF Evo | build by vannicom​​
English is not my native language... (I often use DeepL to translate my texts.)
bbanelli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by bbanelli »

Bisonte wrote:A small sugestion... Is it possible to get the name of the mainboard ?
Sometimes is better to download the drivers from the original mainboard facturer (desktop pc's)
.... So I can delete "Speccy" ;)
I don't think I can do that, at least not without keeping small frame and 100% portability.

Even so, idea is not to create new Aida/Speccy but to have small, portable lspci-like tool for Windows. :)
I don't know that is programmed in PB by you...

I'm surprised Image

Im looking forward to see the source ...
Well, I certainly hope you are positively surprised. :D

When version 1.4 will be out, there will be nothing more to do from my side on the app, I would guess, so than code will be out. :)
Henry Spencer
Bisonte
Addict
Addict

Post by Bisonte »

I don't want a new Aida/Speccy.... I use this only to get the full name of the mainboard...

And Image means : TOP :mrgreen:
PureBasic 6.04 LTS (Windows x86/x64) | Windows10 Pro x64 | Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus | R9 5900X | 64GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3080 TI iChill X4 | HAF XF Evo | build by vannicom​​
bbanelli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by bbanelli »

Greetings to all,

PCI-Z 2.0 finally out! Apart from fixing many bugs and making significant code changes to match demands ever growing pci.ids database, new PCI-Z offers verification where you can upload your PCI configuration online and share it to help others check compliance and compatibility among various combination of motherboards, BIOS versions, operating systems and PCI devices! There is still some work to do on online database interpretation, as well as fixing certain services online (such as automatic update of ZIP files with latest pci.ids database), but hopefully, PCI-Z 2.0 is ready to go!

Naturally, front end of online database is done in... Spider Basic! :)

Bruno
Henry Spencer
Bisonte
Addict
Addict

Post by Bisonte »