Purefiler - An alternative profiler

Applications, Games, Tools, User libs and useful stuff coded in PureBasic
Didelphodon
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Purefiler - An alternative profiler

Post by Didelphodon »

Hi folks,

here's a little present for the Purebasic community. In the last months I worked on a profiler which serves the performance-hunter with lots of features to locate time- and instruction-consuming spots in your programs. As I needed this stuff for my own projects and it did very well I thought that it might be of use for others as well.

Purefiler's concept
The main concept I followed is that you're dealing with one program which acts in two ways:

1) as a PB-IDE-plugin that works as a pre-processor for building and
2) as a standalone program to analyze the profiling results.

However, for the second mode it's also possible to configure it as a plugin to have it available "in" the IDE.
So, if you want to profile one of your programs, and that might even be a DLL, you just have to enable the Purefiler-plugin and build the executable. Everytime your program (or DLL) gets executed it will generate profiling-information in your home-folder, ready to be analyzed in analysis-mode of Purefiler.

What is being profiled?
Purefiler in general stores an invocation-counter as well as the time (in µs) each executed instruction needed. Further both of these - the counter and the time - are correctly corelated to the according thread and - in the case of recursions - to the recursion-level (which is done by focusing the stack).

The GUI, an overview
Once you started the GUI-mode all ever stored profiles are being made available through a combination of a combobox and a listview. The combobox is used to select the source-code whose runs you like to analyze. With the listbox you select the specific run identifyable by the according timestamp.
Then the profile is being loaded. After that you'll be presented with all the runtime- and build-informations stored/monitored. The latter are an overview of the according includefiles, all the threads that have been created including there scope, the sourcecode and of course the actual profiling-data.

Analyzing-basics
Purefiler's main-focus lies in hunting the causes for bad performance. According to this I decided to follow an approach that reduces the number of (monitoring-)runs to a minimum. In other words, I've tried to get the most out of each single run. So, the idea behind the GUI is that you narrow down the area where the performance-loss happens until you locate it. How is this done?
Any instruction in the source-code that has been executed at least once can become a (what I call) "peek". A peek has a red background, otherwise it's black. Both profile-information-types, counter and time, can become peeks but they aren't necessarily linked. Further for the time you can freely choose one of 4 timing-modes: all, avg, min, max.

The checkmarks magic
With the checkboxes in the source-code-listview you decide which lines should be included in the peek-calculation. Nothing more, nothing less. By unchecking lines you can remove them from the peek-calculation letting other lines become peeks. That's for example necessary if you're dealing with instructions that are messing up a profile like requesters, delays, inputs, etc. You see, with the checkmarks you can "hunt". To optimize this kinda hunting there's a little button on the upper left of the source-code-listview with "..." as caption. This opens up a submenu which let you automatically add/remove checkmarks in various ways.
  • Check all: Check every line.
  • Remove all checks: Uncheck every line.
  • Complete checks for scopes: The scope of any checked line is taken and all missing lines according to this scopes are being checked. (I.e.: Check all lines of one/multiple procedures).
  • Add checks for a sourcefile: Lets you choose an include or the master-sourcefile to add checkmarks for the according lines.
  • Add checks for a thread: Lets you choose a thread to add checkmarks for its executed lines.
  • Add checks for implicitly invocations: If you have a call to a procedure which seems to be time-consuming just checkmark the call and then by using this tool all implicitly invoked instructions "behind" it are checkmarked automatically.
  • Remove checks for a sourcefile: Lets you choose an include or the master-sourcefile to remove the checkmarks for the according lines.
  • Remove checks for a thread: Lets you choose a thread to remove the checkmarks for it's executed lines.
  • Remove checks for implicitly invocations: If you have a call to a procedure which seems to be time-consuming just un-checkmark the call and then by using this tool all implicitly invoked instructions "behind" it are un-checkmarked automatically.
The threads-listview
This let you choose all threads that shall be included in the peek-calculation.

Manually peeking
If you need to customize the peek-visualization you can set the values which are responsible for full-bright-red. To return to automatic just choose 0 (zero).

The birds view
The birds view is the vertical rectangluar area on the right side. It shows you an overview of your whole source-code regarding to calculated peeks. A left-click with the mouse on a specific point in it brings you to the correlating location.

Configuration for PB-IDE
As already mentioned you need one plugin working as preprocessor. While I understand "commandline" as selfexplanatory the proper configuation-string for "Arguments" is "%FILE" "%COMPILEFILE". Choose "Before Create Executable" as event and check the "Wait until tool quits" and "Hide tool from the main-menu" -boxes.
The second plugin is just for calling Purefiler in analysis-mode. No special configuration is needed, you can actually run it from anywhere as long as it receives no arguments.
And don't forget, by enabling/disabling the first plugin you can choose if profiling should be included or not!

Ok, that's all about the usability 'bout Purefiler, though I know that I forgot a lot tell and explain, for sure.
Try it if you're interested but I understand that I have to refuse any kind of warranty and stuff ;-)

After all, here's the download-location: http://www.wojner.at/static/downloads/Purefiler.exe

EDIT: ----------------------------------------------

Build 142 - Changelog
* Call hierarchie is available now

Build 147 - Changelog
* Bugfix
* Manual overriding is available now
(";Purefiler ON", ";Purefiler OFF")
* Not used scopes are grayed out in the call-hierarchie
* Better recursion-detection for call-hierarchie
* In the call-hierarchie recursions are tagged with " (recursion)" now

Cheers, Didel.
Last edited by Didelphodon on Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:19 am, edited 15 times in total.
Go, tell it on the mountains.
Michael Vogel
Addict
Addict

Re: Purefiler - An alternative profiler

Post by Michael Vogel »

If I understood everything, there should be two plugins, isn't it?

The download file is just one exe, when including it into the IDE, nothing happens. When starting it by double click, the main window opens (with some table headers in courier font :P) and a message appears that no logs are available.

Is there a plugin missing or did I something wrong?
Didelphodon
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by Didelphodon »

There's only one executable but it supports two modes depending on whether it receives arguments or not. That's what I've tried to explain in the configuration paragraph, but that explanation might not have been perfect - sorry for that.

Cheers, Didel.
Didelphodon
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by Didelphodon »

Oh, just because I forgot to say. I absolutely not understand Purefiler as "perfect". It's far more realistic that it has some minor and major bugs in it. As I initially just planned for me and *my* typical way of coding there might and will be scenarios that I just didn't think about. So, if you encounter any issues feel free to post them here and I will try to solve them as quick as possible. :wink:

Cheers, Didel.
cxAlex
User
User

Post by cxAlex »

Hello. Please excuse my bad English.

I'm very interested in your, but there is a Problem with Import/ImportC blocks. After analyzing the PBEditorOutput.pb i found this:

Code: Select all

ImportC #Pref$ + "libs\alibcof64.lib"
purefiler_AddStopEntry(3, 20, 1)
purefiler_AddStartEntry(3, 21, 1)
        A_memcpy(*dest, *source, count.i)
purefiler_AddStopEntry(3, 21, 1)
purefiler_AddStartEntry(3, 22, 1)
You can't place your Routines here, PB would try to import them from the library.

Greets, Alex
Didelphodon
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by Didelphodon »

Ok, I'm gonna check this ...
Didelphodon
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by Didelphodon »

Updated version is online - Import ... EndImport should be ignored now.
Please check it out if it works.

EDIT: Forgot the ImportC-variant. Now that should work, too. Please fetch it again.

Cheers, Didel.
Michael Vogel
Addict
Addict

Post by Michael Vogel »

Didelphodon wrote:There's only one executable but it supports two modes depending on whether it receives arguments or not. That's what I've tried to explain in the configuration paragraph, but that explanation might not have been perfect - sorry for that.

Cheers, Didel.
Your explanation seems to be perfect, but I am not able to get it :x

My Tools options look like this:
Command line: .\Catalogs\Tool PureFiler.exe
Arguments: "%FILE" "%COMPILEFILE"
Working Directory: .\Catalogs\
Name: Pure Filer
Event to trigger the tool: Before Create Executable

[×] Wait until tool quits
[_] Run hidden
[_] Hide Editor
[_] Reload Source...
[×] Hide Tool from the Main menu
[_] Enable Tool on a per-source basis
Didelphodon
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by Didelphodon »

Solved an issue where the build of DLLs lead to an infinite loop so building never finishes.
New version is online!
Didelphodon
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by Didelphodon »

Michael Vogel wrote:
Didelphodon wrote:There's only one executable but it supports two modes depending on whether it receives arguments or not. That's what I've tried to explain in the configuration paragraph, but that explanation might not have been perfect - sorry for that.

Cheers, Didel.
Your explanation seems to be perfect, but I am not able to get it :x

My Tools options look like this:
Command line: .\Catalogs\Tool PureFiler.exe
Arguments: "%FILE" "%COMPILEFILE"
Working Directory: .\Catalogs\
Name: Pure Filer
Event to trigger the tool: Before Create Executable

[×] Wait until tool quits
[_] Run hidden
[_] Hide Editor
[_] Reload Source...
[×] Hide Tool from the Main menu
[_] Enable Tool on a per-source basis
In my tool-configuration I have no working-directory set - so try to leave it blank as it's the only difference to mine. :?
Rings

Post by Rings »

did not work here too.
Checked it already with 4.51 ?
SPAMINATOR NR.1
Didelphodon
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by Didelphodon »

Rings wrote:did not work here too.
Checked it already with 4.51 ?
Could you please be more specific - what does not work?
Didelphodon
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by Didelphodon »

One minor issue with literals holding a ":" fixed.
New version is online.
Didelphodon
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by Didelphodon »

Thinking about not very meaningful reports that "it doesn't work" I thought of some confusion, maybe. When you configure it right as a plugin (as explained), enable it (the tool) and build (create executable) a source you actually won't notice anything - besides a little performance loss during building. The next time you run the built executable from explorer (for example) profile-information is being generated - again, without any notice. If you then start Purefiler in GUI-mode you should find the source in the upper left combobox - ready to go.

Cheers, Didel.
Rings

Post by Rings »

Didelphodon wrote:Thinking about not very meaningful reports that "it doesn't work" I thought of some confusion, maybe. When you configure it right as a plugin (as explained), enable it (the tool) and build (create executable) a source you actually won't notice anything - besides a little performance loss during building. The next time you run the built executable from explorer (for example) profile-information is being generated - again, without any notice. If you then start Purefiler in GUI-mode you should find the source in the upper left combobox - ready to go.

Cheers, Didel.
no, Purefiler(GUI) did not find anything, no logs available.
and i don't know if any logs (and where) are generated.
maybe, put a Messagerequester at the start of ther Source,
("Code is n Purefiler Mode...")
SPAMINATOR NR.1