Re: The reason I use purebasic

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
percy_b
User
User

Post by percy_b »

I began using PureBasic on a part-time basis about two years ago and I'm still learning from all the great people in this forum.

My journey to PureBasic came by way of VB6, PHP, Perl, C and a number of other languages that I used over the years to pay my bills. However, what I love about PureBasic is how easy it is to develop a fully functional application in a relatively short time.

Recently, I've been working on an application that I hope to release to the public one day (it's currently in the beta stage). However, just out of curiosity, I decided to test my application by installing it on the alpha open-source operating system known as ReactOS. To my surprise, the application I created in PureBasic ran on ReactOS almost flawlessly. The only hiccup was the default font color would sometimes change to white on white while using the editor gadget (embedded in my app).

I've also tested my application on Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 10 without a hitch. But, to discover that it ran so well under an alpha-stage product like ReactOS was a real surprise to me.

So, in a few words, I use PureBasic because it's easy to learn, portable, powerful and its well supported by the members of this forum.

PS: In case you're curious, ReactOS is a project that is attempting to create a free binary-compatible replacement for Windows (https://www.reactos.org/).
deeproot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by deeproot »

Very interesting experience with ReactOS - good to know, thanks for posting. I've been keeping an occasional eye on the ReactOS project for some time now, although I have not yet installed it myself. It's on my list for sometime in the future when I've got time and some spare machine space.
percy_b wrote:So, in a few words, I use PureBasic because it's easy to learn, portable, powerful and its well supported by the members of this forum.
I couldn't agree more :)
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

Yes, it's surprising how far ReactOS team went, it's runs a tons of apps now and it's good to know than PB apps run as well :)
davido
Addict
Addict

Post by davido »

@percy_b,

Thank you.
DE AA EB
marc_256
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by marc_256 »

I tested PB with React_os some time ago,

http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtop ... 17&t=62888

the result was not so good,
but now they have version 0.4.7 ...
will test it soon ...

thanks,
marc
- every professional was once an amateur - greetings from Pajottenland - Belgium -
PS: sorry for my english I speak flemish ...
bbanelli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by bbanelli »

Fred wrote:Yes, it's surprising how far ReactOS team went, it's runs a tons of apps now and it's good to know than PB apps run as well :)
I rely heavily Setup API in PCI-Z, works perfectly on ReactOS. ;)

https://www.pci-z.com/img/PCI-Z1.31-Scr ... eactOS.png
"If you lie to the compiler, it will get its revenge."
Henry Spencer
https://www.pci-z.com/
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

I gave up on waiting for ReactOS to be useful quite some time ago, but maybe I should check it out again.
percy_b
User
User

Post by percy_b »

Thanks for the responses guys.

Hi @marc_256,
Although I've installed a PB compiled app on ReactOS, I have not tried installing the compiler and IDE yet. I would be very curious to find out your results are when you try it out with 0.4.7.

Also, remember that 0.4.8 should be released soon!
percy_b
User
User

Post by percy_b »

Dude wrote:I gave up on waiting for ReactOS to be useful quite some time ago, but maybe I should check it out again.
Dude,
It's gotten much better. They did a crowdfunding a couple of years ago and they're still reaping the benefits of that effort.
marc_256
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by marc_256 »

percy_b wrote:Thanks for the responses guys.

Hi @marc_256,
Although I've installed a PB compiled app on ReactOS, I have not tried installing the compiler and IDE yet. I would be very curious to find out your results are when you try it out with 0.4.7.

Also, remember that 0.4.8 should be released soon!
Well, then I wait for 0.4.8
I'm curious to test it with my robot controller for the speed...

Marc,
- every professional was once an amateur - greetings from Pajottenland - Belgium -
PS: sorry for my english I speak flemish ...
percy_b
User
User

Post by percy_b »

I just tested one of my apps Checksum-Aide 1.0.1.0 (written in PureBasic) under ReactOS 0.4.11 and it installs and works flawlessly!

ReactOS 0.4.11 isn't ready for prime-time yet, but it has come a long way.

Kudos to Fred and the high-quality work done on PureBasic!

Last edited by percy_b on Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

I have very little problems in PB now except when I don't actually know what I am doing but the forum has always helped me out with that so I always give back what I can.

Now I have to start yet another big project (groan)
Amateur Radio, D-STAR/VK3HAF
percy_b
User
User

Post by percy_b »

Yeah Fangbeast, this forum is awesome!
oreopa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by oreopa »

I started using PB in 2006 and frankly there is still nothing that comes even close. I will even admit to using a "warezed" version instead of the demo for a short while (to circumvent the demo limit for API/line count or something like that)... but *very* soon afterwards I realized $79 was an absolute no-brainer and almost a gift at that price ;) It's probably worth at least 3x that ;)

The reasons I develop with PB are these:
1. Seriously quick prototyping and superfast compilation, not to mention the whole IDE loading in a blink of an eye ;)
2. Very small and fast exe with NO DEPENDENCIES (I'm informed the size/speed is so close to C or anything else that any difference is usually negligible)
3. Inline ASM
4. Access to all supported platforms APIs
5. IDE is pretty decent (I couldnt care less about the visual designer)
6. Assembler input file is available if you need it

I also like the fact OGRE is integrated for 3d stuff, and I could go on and on about other stuff, but I'll stop here.

Let me take this opportunity to thank Fred and the rest of the team for developing such a great language/dev environment. It makes programming a joy and not a time wasting configuration hell :) THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Proud supporter of PB! * Musician * C64/6502 Freak
Rinzwind
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Rinzwind »

Just tried recently, PB won't work correctly nowadays. It hangs or errors.

Btw it shows how a bloated mess Windows has become. The ReactOS iso is just 148 MB .