my 2 cents

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
axisdj
User
User

my 2 cents

Post by axisdj »

I make a living from my apps written in VB6, it is the most important part of my bussiness. Becuase of that, since MS has threatened to drop support for vb6 I have been looking for a replacement. I have looked at almost every possible vb6 replacement that is cross platform.

In recent weeks a fellow developer made me aware of PureBasic. A cross platform Basic style compiler and IDE. Event though im not an OOP disciple I did miss classes but luckily found a plugin SimpleOOP which integrates classes into PureBasic ( and along the way I now under stand how C++ evolved from c to include classes structs with vTables)

The main thing the PureBasic GUI IDe is lacking is the RAD double clicking on a control to add code. Some of the BASIC syntax is a bit different but pretty close to vb6.

Here is my point to bring this up to you guys.

I encourage all to go have a look. I think (olaf correct me) that vbrichclient may even work in purebasic.

I think if a simple gui plugin is written for easy event editing in GUI like VB6, purebasic could be the cross platform vb6 we have always wanted.

We have a really BIG vb6 community here and I think if many of us moved to pureBasic, our obsolete issue will be solved, not to mention our dependence on MS.

I do think if many of us are going to move to PureBasic it still needs one plugin to make it more like VB6, and that is the reason I am posting it here.

Thanks for your time. :)
oO0XX0Oo
User
User

Re: my 2 cents

Post by oO0XX0Oo »

since MS has threatened to drop support for vb6
Mh? What kind of support should that be (for VB6)? As long as these programs
will run on future Win 10 systems, where exactly is the problem?
axisdj
User
User

Post by axisdj »

oO0XX0Oo wrote:
since MS has threatened to drop support for vb6
Mh? What kind of support should that be (for VB6)? As long as these programs
will run on future Win 10 systems, where exactly is the problem?
1. MS will eventually drop support (they threaten this every year)
2. I need cross platform support (mac, pc , and linux)
3. Multi threading is much easier in PB
4. OpenGL support integrated
5. True Native executables
blueb
Addict
Addict

Post by blueb »

axisdj wrote:The main thing the PureBasic GUI IDe is lacking is the RAD double clicking on a control to add code....

Peerhaps you should take a look at PureVision. http://www.reelmedia.org/purevision/

It has a feature similar to what you need "Code Inject"
When working with a Gadget like a ButtonGadget, Code Inject allows code to be injected on Left Click, Outer Loop and Inner Loop.
:)
- It was too lonely at the top.

System : PB 6.10 Beta 9 (x64) and Win Pro 11 (x64)
Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X w/64 gigs Ram, AMD RX 6950 XT Graphics w/16gigs Mem
axisdj
User
User

Post by axisdj »

Yes, I looked at it, it needs a bit more refinement in the code injection side.

it is close but needs a nudge

WP
blueb
Addict
Addict

Post by blueb »

axisdj wrote: it is close but needs a nudge.
Talk to Paul at PureVision. He is quite responsive to his users.

As far as other IDE's...

There was a free project long ago called: PBDev which does/did exactly what you wanted. I still use it once and a while, but PureBasic has changed greatly over the years and PBDev is not longer perfect.

The only problem with PBDev was that it was geared to producing EXE's and the intermediate code was really ugly (basically it was a port from another basic called Power Basic)

You might do a search for PDDev.

Here's the Help files title page...

PBDev is created to make programming more easy, avoiding a non-modular programming style.
This developer will let you group functions into modules.
Even special modules are implemented to prevent cluthering of some parts of your code.
Like grouping constants or declares.

PBDev also supports event coding, yes, simply place desired code in a button click event for example.
Read more about events here.

Using a single keystroke will compile your application using the PureBasic compiler.
PureBasic must be installed of course.

Forms are created and having by default a single and separate callback window procedure.
PBdev will handle a default windowprocedure for you.
The only thing you have to do is to adapt it's code or clear it it's contents at all.

PBDev will let your application start from a main procedure.
Also a libmain procedure is prepared in case you create a library.

Form creation and controls placement are really easy.
Just create a new form and place some controls.

PBDev will focus on the Windows platform only.
- It was too lonely at the top.

System : PB 6.10 Beta 9 (x64) and Win Pro 11 (x64)
Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X w/64 gigs Ram, AMD RX 6950 XT Graphics w/16gigs Mem
Kukulkan
Addict
Addict

Post by Kukulkan »

Well, I fully understand the pressure behind such discussions every now and then. I was in the same situation a few years ago.

But for PureBasic, I think there is a gap between the wishes of such users and the reality of PureBasic. PB is a programming language of it's own. It is not really that close to VB6 as you may think. GUI Loops, different database access and some completely different approaches are show stoppers for any one to one conversion. I believe that, with PB, you have to re-develop most of your code, forms and even processes in order to work with PB. A lot of hacks and tricks of VB6 are not working any more. Especially third party ActiveX (OCX) are no longer available.

I see three ways for you:

1) Move to PB. Re-develop everything with a powerful and fast tool. But do not expect to re-use something. And do not expect the PB team to change anything on PureBasic just for some VB6 compatibility or because you like the way how VB6 did things. You're gonna be disappointed.

2) Move to MONO. This is VB.NET (C#), which may allow you to re-use some code and concepts. MONO is also cross platform. Have a look at SharpDevelop.

3) Consider the unthinkable and ask yourself if you are willing to re-do your products web-based (PHP with AJAX). This may also open new business models (like hosted offers where people do not install anything at their systems).

Kukulkan
axisdj
User
User

Post by axisdj »

Kukulkan wrote:Well, I fully understand the pressure behind such discussions every now and then. I was in the same situation a few years ago.

But for PureBasic, I think there is a gap between the wishes of such users and the reality of PureBasic. PB is a programming language of it's own. It is not really that close to VB6 as you may think. GUI Loops, different database access and some completely different approaches are show stoppers for any one to one conversion. I believe that, with PB, you have to re-develop most of your code, forms and even processes in order to work with PB. A lot of hacks and tricks of VB6 are not working any more. Especially third party ActiveX (OCX) are no longer available.

I see three ways for you:

1) Move to PB. Re-develop everything with a powerful and fast tool. But do not expect to re-use something. And do not expect the PB team to change anything on PureBasic just for some VB6 compatibility or because you like the way how VB6 did things. You're gonna be disappointed.

2) Move to MONO. This is VB.NET (C#), which may allow you to re-use some code and concepts. MONO is also cross platform. Have a look at SharpDevelop.

3) Consider the unthinkable and ask yourself if you are willing to re-do your products web-based (PHP with AJAX). This may also open new business models (like hosted offers where people do not install anything at their systems).

Kukulkan
I am asking for a plugin. I understands Fred's stance on PB and respect that.

If I wanted to give my code to chinese copycats I would use .net, but no thanks.

My stuff is required to run natively and are close to real time ( controling robotics etc) so web based is not an option

My thought now is to ask the author of purevision to see what he may be able to do.

WP
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

axisdj wrote:If I wanted to give my code to chinese copycats I would use .net, but no thanks.
You can compile .NET to x86/x64 assembly too, no need to compile into IL code. Plus you could use RedGate's NET Obfuscator
webpage - discord chat links -> purebasic GPT4All
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by mk-soft »

I think you're getting it wrong.

Maybe you should start with Purebasic and its features.

I see Purebasic with the syntax of Basic, but with the use of variables, pointers, memory and structures rather with 'C'.
In my opinion, this has great advantages.

The creation of windows and the event handling of the GUI should be looked at how to handle them,
before you start a big project
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive