PureBasic and the Future

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
axisdj
User
User

PureBasic and the Future

Post by axisdj »

I am getting ready to re-write / convert my apps from vb6 to Purebasic.

One thing I am concerned about is longevity? Is there a backup plan for pureBasic. If the product is discontinued or developer stops working on it for what ever reason will this be open sourced or transferred?

Does purebasic produce raw 'C' that can be compiled externally? If so is there a way to see what pureBasic produces from the BASIC syntax?

Thanks
WP
Desynchronised
New User
New User

Re: PureBasic and the Future

Post by Desynchronised »

axisdj wrote:I am getting ready to re-write / convert my apps from vb6 to Purebasic.

One thing I am concerned about is longevity? Is there a backup plan for pureBasic. If the product is discontinued or developer stops working on it for what ever reason will this be open sourced or transferred?

Does purebasic produce raw 'C' that can be compiled externally? If so is there a way to see what pureBasic produces from the BASIC syntax?

Thanks
WP
You can find more information about compiler here: http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtop ... 13&t=69818
netmaestro
PureBasic Bullfrog
PureBasic Bullfrog

Post by netmaestro »

Purebasic produces assembly code, not C. And there is a succession plan in place should anything happen to Fred, so I wouldn't worry about future development.
BERESHEIT
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

axisdj wrote:Is there a backup plan for pureBasic.
PureBasic has two main coders: Fred and Timo. Each has full access to the product source, and Fred has previously stated there is a plan if (God forbid) both of them died. Don't forget the product would still work regardless, in such a situation. Sometimes I've gone months without updating it, because of its stability. The only times I update now are for new features, rather than bug fixes.
axisdj wrote:Does purebasic produce raw 'C' that can be compiled externally?
No, it produces assembly code (as Netmaestro said).
axisdj wrote:One thing I am concerned about is longevity?
Don't stress. People have been asking about PureBasic's longevity since 2003:

http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtop ... =7&t=45773

And PureBasic has already been around for 20 years:

http://www.purebasic.fr/blog/?p=470

It's a stable product with a future. :)
Shardik
Addict
Addict

Post by Shardik »

axisdj wrote:One thing I am concerned about is longevity? Is there a backup plan for pureBasic. If the product is discontinued or developer stops working on it for what ever reason will this be open sourced or transferred?
[color=#0040FF][u]Fred[/u][/color] wrote:What I have said before is still true: if I have to quit PB for any reasons, I will release the sources, either in Open Source form, or to a closed community which will be able to drive the project. We are not the kind of men which don't keep our words, so please, don't panic if you don't have news from us for a few time.

The Fantaisie Software Team
axisdj
User
User

Post by axisdj »

Thank you everyone, this concern is checked off the list.

WP
Thorium
Addict
Addict

Post by Thorium »

Actually the Amiga version of PureBasic was discontinued and open sourced as promised.
luis
Addict
Addict

Post by luis »

Thorium wrote:... the Amiga version of PureBasic was discontinued and open sourced ...
Partially, not the compiler but just the command set and some tools, better specify it I think or some Amiga user could get the wrong idea.
"Have you tried turning it off and on again ?"
A little PureBasic review
heartbone
Addict
Addict

Post by heartbone »

Multiple versions of the PureBasic compiler will last at least as long as my many digital personal computers will.

Perhaps even longer?
I'm thinking if the world changes to tcap based systems, there will likely be a tcap to digital transformer of some sort.
Keep it BASIC.
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

We couldn't opensource the compiler for Amiga because it's the same code source used for other OS. But if we had to opensource PB one day, everything will be included, obviously.
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

[color=#0040FF][u]Fred[/u][/color] wrote:What I have said before is still true: if I have to quit PB for any reasons, I will release the sources, either in Open Source form, or to a closed community which will be able to drive the project. We are not the kind of men which don't keep our words, so please, don't panic if you don't have news from us for a few time.

The Fantaisie Software Team
For benefit of the newcomer, I have been programming since 1979. In all that time, Fred is the ONLY developer of an indie language who has CONSISTENTLY kept his word. His integrity is above reproach!
davido
Addict
Addict

Post by davido »

Kuron wrote:
For benefit of the newcomer, I have been programming since 1979. In all that time, Fred is the ONLY developer of an indie language who has CONSISTENTLY kept his word. His integrity is above reproach!
+1
DE AA EB
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

+1
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
Ajm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Ajm »

+1

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Regards

Andy

Registered PB & PureVision User
Kwai chang caine
Always Here
Always Here

Post by Kwai chang caine »

+1
And all of us know how much it's difficult to maintain the same application, without fail and without losing fighting spirit, since now more than twenty years :shock: 8)
Last edited by Kwai chang caine on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageThe happiness is a road...
Not a destination