CodeArchiv-Rebirth

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
GPI
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

CodeArchiv-Rebirth

Post by GPI »

The "offical" PureBasic CodeArchiv of PureArea ( http://www.purearea.net/pb/CodeArchiv/CodeArchiv.html ) is a very interesting collection of different codes. Unfortunately the archive is outdated (7 years).

I started to recreate a new archive with support of unicode and 64bit and this is the first result:
https://github.com/GPIforGit/PureBasic- ... iv-Rebirth
Download the complete archiv here: https://github.com/GPIforGit/PureBasic- ... master.zip

Of course there are not many codes at the moment (round about 80). It is just the first start of the archiv. At the moment I collect the codes from the german forum. But also here are many codes, but it is too many for one person! So I search for contributors, which collect the codes in the english and french forum.

At the moment in the CodeArchiv is a template.pb with the default header for all files, a CodeCleaner.pb - (checks if all codes are stored in UTF8, compileable, if unicode is set and remove unnecessary CompilerOptions/infos like cursor position and folding information) and a short german manual for GitHub/SourceTree.

When you want to help, you need of course a GitHub-Account. You should search in the forum for codes (for example in the Tricks 'n' Tips-Section; i recommand that you "reserve" a block for example post something like
last edit - Tricks 'n' Tips from 11 12 2015, 10:48 to 13 11 2015, 15:15
this should be the first page at the moment), nested the example with "Compilerif #PB_Compiler_IsMainFail - CompilerEndif", store it with .pbi when it is an IncludeFile and with .pb for an example. If possible test it. When it is only for specific OS, include the CompilerIF-CompilerError-CompilerEndif - Part of the template. And of course you should tell me your account name from Github, so i could add you to the contributors.

It would also be nice, when somebody could write a short manual for GitHub/SourceTree.

Thank you for reading :)
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Re: CodeArchiv-Rebirth

Post by IdeasVacuum »

Looks very good GPI 8)
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
djes
Addict
Addict

Post by djes »

A bit late but thank you for that ! :)
netmaestro
PureBasic Bullfrog
PureBasic Bullfrog

Post by netmaestro »

Thanks for your efforts GPI, it's something that's been needing done for some time now.
BERESHEIT
Joris
Addict
Addict

Post by Joris »

Wow, nice GPI.

Thanks
Yeah I know, but keep in mind ... Leonardo da Vinci was also an autodidact.
Sicro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Sicro »

On the 08/26/2017 I wrote to all authors of the codes in the CodeArchive via PN and asked them if they agree with the licensing of their codes. Some people have agreed with it - thank you very much for that - but unfortunately not all of them have given their feedback.

I will wait until the 10/27/2017, after that I will remove from the CodeArchive the codes that do not have a license for free use in other codes.

I would like to emphasize again that the MIT license was only a suggestion in the PN. Each code can be licensed differently (e. g. no commercial use).
Why OpenSource should have a license :: PB-CodeArchiv-Rebirth :: Pleasant-Dark (syntax color scheme) :: RegEx-Engine (compiles RegExes to NFA/DFA)
Manjaro Xfce x64 (Main system) :: Windows 10 Home (VirtualBox) :: Newest PureBasic version
walbus
Addict
Addict

Post by walbus »

Unfortunately, I consider the licensing issue to be an unsolvable problem
Sicro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Sicro »

Hello walbus,

The problem is not insoluble, but we have to make a compromise.

In the meanwhile, 30 authors of the codes in the CodeArchive have responded to my request for licensing of the codes and agreed to the licensing.
Unfortunately some authors didn't answer, so 41 codes have to be removed from the CodeArchive during the next update of the main branch.

However, licensing the codes is an important step on the CodeArchive, which I think it is essential to do.
Why OpenSource should have a license :: PB-CodeArchiv-Rebirth :: Pleasant-Dark (syntax color scheme) :: RegEx-Engine (compiles RegExes to NFA/DFA)
Manjaro Xfce x64 (Main system) :: Windows 10 Home (VirtualBox) :: Newest PureBasic version
walbus
Addict
Addict

Post by walbus »

Hi Sicro
But you cannot change the licenses yourself
Only the author can do that, everything else is not a good idea
Sicro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Sicro »

walbus wrote:But you cannot change the licenses yourself
I'm not doing that. Every author has done this himself/herself with his/her own codes by his/her consent.
I only update the codes in the CodeArchive accordingly.

The only thing that could be bad later on is that the codes here in the forum are not also updated and remain without license text.
This is then inconsistent with the codes in the CodeArchive and causes confusion.
walbus
Addict
Addict

Post by walbus »

You can later make a license more permissive, but you can't restrict it afterwards.
Sicro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Sicro »

walbus wrote:You can later make a license more permissive, but you can't restrict it afterwards.
The MIT license gives you more freedom and does not restricts you even further.
Sicro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Sicro »

The CodeArchive has now been updated.

After I have studied the themes "licenses" and "working with git" more intensively, I decided to rebuild the git repository from the
CodeArchive completely new. Another reason for this step is that I don't want it to have any traceable information in the git
history about which authors have disagreed with the licensing of their codes. I respect their decision and would like to not that
these authors are discriminated against in the git history.

I know it's a bad idea to change the git history after they've been published, but because I don't have any collaborators, I find
the step isn't problematic now. But in the future, I will no longer rebuild it, so that it can now be seen as a stable git history.

Further codes and innovations are in preparation.

At this point I would like to say a big thank you to all PB forum members for sharing so much of fantastic codes and for the
licensing of their.
Sicro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Sicro »

Now also this CodeArchiv gets new codes :D
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

@Sicro:
Many thanks for all your work on the CodeArchive, and for the codes that you contributed yourself!