Any native english speaker here to check a phrase?

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
Kurzer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any native english speaker here to check a phrase?

Post by Kurzer »

Hello,

the following is a bit off-topic, sorry for that.

I need an assessment from a native english-speaking user.
The following text ist mostly translated by google translate, so please consider this circumstance.

So what it is about?
One knows the phrase, "form follows design". This means that the outer shape of an object thereby to derive from its function or possibly its purpose.

I want to set up my own phrase, which should state that a program code has been derived from a high expectation for a particular function. And from the fact that the program code depict the required function and expectations as closely as possible and that the code was created with great conscientiousness.

For this purpose, I would use the following phrase: "Code follows expectation"

Is this is a phrase that is understood right by an english speaking person? And does this phrase conveys the above attributes and statements or is it utter rubbish for an english native?

Thank you very much in advance for your assessment.

Kind regards,
Kurzer
PB 6.02 x64, OS: Win 7 Pro x64 & Win 11 x64, Desktopscaling: 125%, CPU: I7 6500, RAM: 16 GB, GPU: Intel Graphics HD 520, User age in 2023: 56y
"Happiness is a pet." | "Never run a changing system!"
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Re: Any native english speaker here to check a phrase?

Post by idle »

follows expectation doesn't really work, either meets, matches, exceeds or surpases expectation, perhaps
really need a bit more context concerning the usage. like "with our code, we strive to exceed your expectations"
Windows 11, Manjaro, Raspberry Pi OS
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

I don't know exactly what is being asked, but I'm guessing you mean something like this: "code is self-explanatory".
Kurzer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Kurzer »

hello guys,

thank you for your feedback.
I will try to explain more detailed what the phrase should state:

We talk about a one-man company, a developer and his very specific software products.

The phrase should state that he and his programs differs from other software e.g. software from large software houses, because ...

- they were not been programmed by an anonymous team of developers who themselves do not identify with the product.
- they were instead programmed by an enthusiastic, conscientious working developer which uses this software itself every day.
- they were developed because the developer itself needs this function/program - he need it as perfect as possible - without inflating additional functions, which have nothing to do with the required function of the program (no animated menus, no unnecessary functions, no huge frameworks like .NET or dlls were used, but pure function and clear structured gui)
- this developer lends his name and reputation behind the product and he sees it as a moral obligation to program the software as perfectly as possible to the given requirements from the customer.
- the developer is simply one of the good guys and he the does not want to cheat his customers or want to sell halfheartedly developed software.

The software is located in a sensitive area (finance), where a high degree of trust from a software company is required.
The phrase should rely on a sense of convey a sense of responsibility and an extraordinarily accurate way of working.

I hope I could describe the idea more detailed now.

sorry for my horrible english :oops: and thank you in advance.

Kurzer
PB 6.02 x64, OS: Win 7 Pro x64 & Win 11 x64, Desktopscaling: 125%, CPU: I7 6500, RAM: 16 GB, GPU: Intel Graphics HD 520, User age in 2023: 56y
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

might be easier to post what you want to say in German and let us translate it to English
Google translate usually gets the meaning but it often misses the nuances.
Windows 11, Manjaro, Raspberry Pi OS
jwrjrjwrjr
User
User

Post by jwrjrjwrjr »

Well I'm no wordsmith, but I would characterize your description as "lean and tightly targeted code."

Best Regards,
john
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

idle wrote:might be easier to post what you want to say in German and let us translate it to English
I think that's a good idea.
According to the description in kurzer's last post, the German word "maßgeschneidert" comes to my mind.
So maybe something like "custom-tailored code that precisely meets your needs" (to be tweaked by native speakers).
helpy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by helpy »

kurzer wrote:One knows the phrase, "form follows design".
==> Actually the phrase is: form follows function
Last edited by helpy on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10 / Windows 7
PB Last Final / Last Beta Testing
helpy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by helpy »

kurzer wrote:So what it is about?
One knows the phrase, "form follows design". This means that the outer shape of an object thereby to derive from its function or possibly its purpose.
I would suggest: Do not use the word "code" at all.

The user usually does not care about the code and its quality.
He cares about the quality, functionality, usability and stability of the program he uses.
If the user cares about the code quality he only can draw one's own conclusions about the code of the program from the quality, functionality, usability and stability of the used program.

cu,
guido
Windows 10 / Windows 7
PB Last Final / Last Beta Testing
Kurzer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Kurzer »

helpy wrote:Actually the phrase is: form follows function
You are right, helpy, thanks to point me to this mistake.
It was actually meant "function" and I know the correct phrase. It was a kind of blackout during writing the english text, sorry for the confusion. :oops:
idle wrote:might be easier to post what you want to say in German and let us translate it to English
This is a good idea, thanks Idle. So german text will follow:

[german]
Hallo,

es geht um den Webauftritt eines Softwareentwicklers, der spezielle Software für den Börsenhandel anbieten wird.
Dieser Typ ist ein grundehrlicher Kerl und seine Arbeitsweise ist akribisch, genau und präzise. Er hat einen hohen
Anspruch an sich selbst und an seine Programme, die er für sich (und in Zukunft auch für andere) schreibt.
Lieber programmiert er einige Wochen länger, um aus seiner Sicht alles 110%ig umgesetzt und geprüft zu haben,
als einfach ein Programm zu releasen, das auf einem Stand ist, den er nicht mit "seinem Gewissen" vereinbaren kann.

Diese Arbeitsweise und den hohen Anspruch, den er an sich selbst stellt, sieht er als ein Merkmal an, dass ihn von anderen
Softwarehäusern abhebt. Dieser Umstand bzw. diese Eigenschaft soll mit einer "schmissigen" Phrase, einem claim
dem Besucher der Webseite vermittelt werden. Der claim soll kurz, prägnant aber eben auch aussagekräftig sein,
was die oben genannten Eigenschaften betrifft. Im günstigsten Fall soll der Besucher der Webseite beim Lesen des
claims anerkennend raunen und ein Gefühl vermittelt bekommen, welches ihm dem Programmierer bereits einen
Vertrauensvorschuss schenken lässt.

Der gesamte Kontext in dem der Spruch bzw. die Phrase erscheint ist folgender:

"Mein Name ist Max Mustermann und ich habe die "XYZ" Produktserie ins Leben gerufen. Damit habe ich meine Leiden-
schaft für die Softwareentwicklung mit meiner zweiten Leidenschaft, dem Börsenhandel, kombiniert.

[symphatisches Foto von Max Mustermann]

Durch meine langjährige Tätigkeit in den Bereichen Kundensupport und Applikationsentwicklung unter Microsoft Windows,
habe ich ein ausgeprägtes Gespür für anwenderfreundliche, strukturierte Software entwickelt."

"Bei meinen Produkten habe
ich einen hohen Anspruch an
Qualität und Funktionalität"

Dieser persönliche Anspruch fließt in jedes meiner Programme. Angelehnt an den Designleitsatz "Form follows function"
gilt hier:

"Code follows expectation"

Die Produkte die Sie auf [Name der Webseite] vorfinden sind...

- gewissenhaft entwickelt,
- ausgiebig getestet,
- einfach zu verstehen und anzuwenden,
- kompakt und funktionsorientiert,
- im praktischen Einsatz erprobt und
- aus eigener Überzeugung zur dahinter
stehenden Idee programmiert worden"
[/german]

So, I hope this is not to much german text here in the english forum, but I tried to give you all the informations about my concerns.

I am very pleased about your helpfulness and feedback. Thanks a lot for this.

Kurzer (shorty :) )

Edit: Maybe it is not possible to find a suitable phrase, which is short and concise and express the above-mentioned characteristics. In this case I dont need not frantically trying to find one. The "code follows expectation"-thing was just an idea to express the attributes of his software in 3 words. If it does not work for a native english speaker, it doesnt mind. I would simply leave this phrase in this case.
Last edited by Kurzer on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heartbone
Addict
Addict

Post by heartbone »

kurzer wrote:For this purpose, I would use the following phrase: "Code follows expectation"
How about?

"You'll think we've read your mind."
Keep it BASIC.
TI-994A
Addict
Addict

Post by TI-994A »

Some suggestions...

Code perfect.

Coded your way.

Coded to perfection.

Coded the way you work.

Coded to your every need.

Coded to your expectations.

Custom coded just for you.

Perfection in design.

Custom code. Perfect design.

Experience the code.

Experience in code.

Code. Beyond expectations.
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too! Please visit my YouTube Channel :D
Kurzer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Kurzer »

Wow, TI-994A

thanks for your many suggestions! You had a lot of work with it.

@heartbone: Also thanks goes to you for your suggestion, but I am looking for a short and crisp phrase. 3 words max. because its also a matter of sentence melody for me as a german. It should not be a sentence which indeed provides all the information, but sounds too complicated.

I tend to a combination of the suggestions made by idle and TI-994A.

"Code meets expectations"

For a german nativ this sounds good (in respect to the sentence melody) and also for a less talented english-speaking german (thats me ;) ), the key message is understandable.

But would a english-speaking nativ feel the same way on this?
normeus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by normeus »

"Code meets expectations"

sounds like you just created code which is not great code but it works. ( dont use this one it sounds flat )

"Code exceeds expectations"

sounds like you worked extra hard and your code will allow me to work faster. ( and I would expect it not to fail )

"quality code above expectations"

good code and you optimised some of those loops, you worked hard but computers fail sometimes; what you gonna do?
google Translate;Makes my jokes fall flat- Fait mes blagues tombent à plat- Machte meine Witze verpuffen- Eh cumpari ci vo sunari
Kurzer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Kurzer »

Oh oh... I think I've got too many opinions and suggestions and am now extreme uncertain about this phrase-thing.
One says this, another says that.

Maybe I expressed myself not precise enough or / and it is up to the lack of nuance in the translations.

The phrase should not be directly linked to the company and also not to the product. Just not such as MC Donald's "I'm lovin 'it!". This phrase probably everyone knows.

It should however, be simply a short English phrase that is designed to support the description of the work ethic of the developer. It is not a permanent claim, but rather a one phrase (read it once, get the message, but then forget the phrase). it is a sleeve, a "means to an end" to produce a desired feeling upon reading the description of the developers way of work.

I think I just leave this phrase when I'm uncertain about the effect on native speakers. It is not that much important, because the real claim for the product is already drafted.

Thank you for your efforts and the countless suggestions.