Okay people... what are you working on in PB right NOW?

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
Flaming Amoeba

Post by Flaming Amoeba »

is this forum always like this? people asking stuff and others hijacking the thread with pointless kidding around?
Hey, its not as bad as the time Srod, Rook Zimbabwe, Myself and LuciferSD got drunk at the annual PureBasic convention, threw on wigs and dresses and broke out into an interpretitive dance.

We are still ticked off at NoahPhense for filming it and sticking it on Youtube :cry:
LuCiFeR[SD]

Post by LuCiFeR[SD] »

ROFLMAO! Oi, Keep my cross dressing out of this... you promised :P
DoubleDutch
Addict
Addict

Post by DoubleDutch »

annual PureBasic convention
This may actually be a good idea, but where?
https://deluxepixel.com <- My Business website
https://reportcomplete.com <- School end of term reports system
srod
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by srod »

DoubleDutch wrote:
annual PureBasic convention
This may actually be a good idea, but where?
I vote for down the pub! :wink:

@Flaming Amoeba : shutup you idiot, I'm still negotiating with Fox for the tv rights to that little episode! :)
I may look like a mule, but I'm not a complete ass.
Baldrick
Addict
Addict

Post by Baldrick »

Flaming Amoeba wrote:
is this forum always like this? people asking stuff and others hijacking the thread with pointless kidding around?
Hey, its not as bad as the time Srod, Rook Zimbabwe, Myself and LuciferSD got drunk at the annual PureBasic convention, threw on wigs and dresses and broke out into an interpretitive dance.

We are still ticked off at NoahPhense for filming it and sticking it on Youtube :cry:
So, Flaming Amoeba tell me, was this dance a PB Interpreter or a PB compiler?
Derek
Addict
Addict

Post by Derek »

Flaming Amoeba wrote:Hey, its not as bad as the time Srod, Rook Zimbabwe, Myself and LuciferSD got drunk at the annual PureBasic convention, threw on wigs and dresses and broke out into an interpretitive dance.
Next time you can leave the dress wearing to the 'token coder girl', Irene, if she will come to a nerds convention. :lol:
Flaming Amoeba

Post by Flaming Amoeba »

Oi, Keep my cross dressing out of this... you promised
HEY!! I didn't mention NOTHING about the gerbils!
Rook Zimbabwe
Addict
Addict

Post by Rook Zimbabwe »

Ohhhh you were doing an interpretive dance??? I wasn't... the hemline was too short and breezy and something itched in just the wrong spot! :twisted:

That wasn't a gerbil... that was a friend! :roll: And did y'all forget the incident with the monkey that was wearing lipstick?
Binarily speaking... it takes 10 to Tango!!!

http://www.bluemesapc.com/
citystate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by citystate »

Derek wrote:...Next time you can leave the dress wearing to the 'token coder girl', Irene...
:shock: my sig has been adopted :shock:

I'm currently working on a set of screensavers for friends... too many exams make finding time for PB-coding difficult :(
there is no sig, only zuul (and the following disclaimer)

WARNING: may be talking out of his hat
eastken
New User
New User

Re:

Post by eastken »

Kukulkan wrote:I'm currently extending and supporting my 1D barcode recognition library INBarcodeOCR (http://www.inspirant.de/index.php?ref=p ... eocr&lg=en). It is, exept the PDF functionality, written in 100% PB.
Additionally, a big project for sending secure and certified e-mail utilizes client software written in PB (including a SDK DLL and some utilities like performance-check of our servers and so on).

Kukulkan
Now qr code is also popular, maybe you've added 2d barcode supports to your project already.
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Re: Okay people... what are you working on in PB right NOW?

Post by Fangbeast »

Finally finished the tenth rewrite of a computer address book. Never was happy with the last 9 iterations. (Done my way!).

Also a tiny, simple backup program for a motorcycle shop. Can't get any simpler (like my brain).

One day I hope to rewrite my recipe manager if I can get someone to design a nice layout (mine are all bum ugly).
Amateur Radio, D-STAR/VK3HAF
swhite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by swhite »

Hi

I just finished a tool that lets merchants batch upload transactions to a Credit Card Processor. The program allows you to generate secure tokens for each customer so you do not have to store the credit card data on your computer (a number of Credit Card Processors have this service). Then it takes a csv file of customer numbers and amounts and converts it to the format required using the secure tokens instead of the actual credit card numbers. The new file is then uploaded to the Credit Card Processor for processing.

This enables people to use credit cards with any accounting package even if credit card processing is not built in and get lower rates for recurring billing.

Simon
Simon White
dCipher Computing
RichAlgeni
Addict
Addict

Post by RichAlgeni »

Simon,

That sounds very interesting! It sounds like something we used to call 'draft capture' 20 years ago. While I no longer program for the retail industry, I'd love to see what you have created!

I now write Public Safety Software. A lot of it lately is to automate migration of data from an ancient 'Pick' type database known as Unidata, to Postgres. One of the things I am about to start on is an Open Spreadsheet Markup process in PureBasic to replace the old Excel version 2 code. Also working on extending the interface into Microsoft Internet Information Server to add 'filters.'

Rich
oldefoxx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by oldefoxx »

I'm trying to learn how to use PureBasuc to go on the Internet. There is a very short program among the examples that is named WebBrowser.pb that acesses the PureBasic web site and puts it on the screen. That's a good start. But how and where to go from there?

You would think that maybe just learning how to call APIs related to other web browsers would be a simple approach. Not in my book. I just spent several hours trying to find out something about the Chromium Open Source project and maybe getting an idea of how to proceed, but it is a hugely complex subject, what with trees, nodes, blocks, inline, parents, children, rendering, CSS, floating, absolute, static, relative, blink (formerly webkit) and other things you don't want to have to learn about. And all this just put a web page up for viewing. What about the specifics of tracking what is happening on a tab (URL link), mouse placement, focus, keyboard entry, and what gets clicked on?

Did you know that Chromium is the backbone for four major browsers? Itself, Google Chrome, Slimjet, and Opera. And there may be others. You are encouraged to get involved, register as a developer, qualify for keys to the APIs (with some mention of purchase prices as well), and turning your PC into a development machine by downloading tons of software and digging in.

And the really scary thing was the comments made by some posters at the end: They understood what I was just getting a hazy idea about, and could view the whole topic objectively. I was in way over my head most of the time.

I don't know if I can go forward with this idea of mine or not. I want to access the network and go to specific URLs on a timely bases and see if anything has changed. You know, like see if there are any new messages in one if my several webmail inboxes, or added posts to one or more forum threads that interest me. Something that would get the PC to act more on its own when I want it to, and just let me know if there is cause for me to go and check it out for myself. I would mean fewer trips that I have had to make, where there was nothing new added.

Great time saving idea which would also cut down on wasted efforts, but I can'r find a common bases for getting it into code form.

I have learned one thing though: PureBasic does not download with a manual. There is a manual, but you have to get to it online. It's a set of html documents, and I had no problem downloading them all, with one command. There is also a PureBasic pdf file, but no browser I tried would let me download it. They just opened it. Opening the document does download it, but where that temporary copy goes is unknown to me.

I searched online, and a solution to not being able to directly download a pdf file had been solved by someone else, who used Acrobat Reader for the job. Once AR opens a pdf file, you have a download button in the upper right corner that you can use. The bad new is, that you no longer have AR being offered for Linux. My way around that was to install AR on my Windows XP client, and I had it do the job there. No problem then copying it to the host desktop via making that a shared folder.

Win32 API reference files are also available in pdf form, though it may be compressed as a rar archive, and even put into an exe (self-extracting) form. Just something I stumbled on today. Thought I would pass it on. It was at a site dealing with PureBasic as a topic, so the reference files may not be C-centric, as the originals in the Microsoft SDK were (and probably still are).

The trouble with Win32 API refernences is that the contained material may be outdated, meaning incomplete. The Windows 2000 Pro kernel.dll file was about 729k in size. The XP version added another 200k to its kernel.dll size, and that is only one of the several DLL files involved. You can't use what is there if you don't even know that it is there, which is the reason for having reference files. I would have to assume that the MS's SDK version is complete up to and including XP SP3. I could be wrong, I mean it could go further, but at some point MS moved to WinRT as a Win32 replacement.

I've found links to places where you can learn about the Linux Core APIs. Now the problem I have with APIs in general is, which ones so you need to do the things you had in mind to do? There are so many of them, and they all have a purpose, but is it a purpose related to what I want to get done? In other words, I probably need lots of example code that uses APIs as a way of doing things, then I can get a feel for it. From what I've seen of PureBasic so far, you may have enough power built into PureBasic itself so that you do not have to fret about learning APIs as well, but I'm not certain of that yet.
has-been wanna-be (You may not agree with what I say, but it will make you think).
heartbone
Addict
Addict

Post by heartbone »

oldefoxx wrote:I have learned one thing though: PureBasic does not download with a manual. There is a manual, but you have to get to it online. It's a set of html documents, and I had no problem downloading them all, with one command. There is also a PureBasic pdf file, but no browser I tried would let me download it. They just opened it. Opening the document does download it, but where that temporary copy goes is unknown to me.

I searched online, and a solution to not being able to directly download a pdf file had been solved by someone else, who used Acrobat Reader for the job. Once AR opens a pdf file, you have a download button in the upper right corner that you can use. The bad new is, that you no longer have AR being offered for Linux. My way around that was to install AR on my Windows XP client, and I had it do the job there. No problem then copying it to the host desktop via making that a shared folder.
Which Linux browser is it that won't allow you to download this document?
Right now I'm using Firefox 39.0 on UBUNTU,
and by right clicking on the link I can select the Save Link As... menu item to save the .pdf anywhere on my computer.
oldefoxx wrote:I've found links to places where you can learn about the Linux Core APIs. Now the problem I have with APIs in general is, which ones so you need to do the things you had in mind to do? There are so many of them, and they all have a purpose, but is it a purpose related to what I want to get done? In other words, I probably need lots of example code that uses APIs as a way of doing things, then I can get a feel for it. From what I've seen of PureBasic so far, you may have enough power built into PureBasic itself so that you do not have to fret about learning APIs as well, but I'm not certain of that yet.
So far for my needs, it is very, very rare that PureBasic does not already have the needed functionality in their command set.
I feel that knowing about the various Linux APIs is unnecessary (in general) for a knowledgeable PureBasic programmer.
Now if only those bugged 2D graphics commands would get fixed (without other crap getting broken), then I'd be extremely satisfied with the Linux compiler.
Keep it BASIC.