Users "reputation" on forum

Everything else that doesn't fall into one of the other PB categories.
bbanelli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Users "reputation" on forum

Post by bbanelli »

Greetings to all,

I am relatively new PureBasic member but one you go PureBasic, you never go back. :)

Speaking of, there are plenty of people that produce loads of very useful and didactic code for other PureBasic users. Since I do know how phpBB forum works, there is a reputation/karma system that is relatively easily implemented that would allow to provide praises for certain members according to their posts.

Although I am aware that this is basically not something essential for forum or community in general, I believe it would provide nice token of appreciation for users posting code. Many times I want to "thank" someone for a great piece of code provided, however, it seems displaced to issue new post to just say "Thank you" (and it does not provide to the quality of discussion in general). Thus, implementing such way of expressing "thanks" would be the least what can be done for user to user community here.

I do apologize in advance if this was proposed prior.

With my best,

Bruno
"If you lie to the compiler, it will get its revenge."
Henry Spencer
https://www.pci-z.com/
PB
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Re: Users "reputation" on forum

Post by PB »

> I do apologize in advance if this was proposed prior

Something similar was proposed way back in 2005 but it
never eventuated, even though Fred was initially all for it:

http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtop ... =3&t=15339

I sometimes wonder why it fell between the cracks.
I compile using 5.31 (x86) on Win 7 Ultimate (64-bit).
"PureBasic won't be object oriented, period" - Fred.
bbanelli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by bbanelli »

PB wrote:> I do apologize in advance if this was proposed prior

Something similar was proposed way back in 2005 but it
never eventuated, even though Fred was initially all for it:

http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtop ... =3&t=15339

I sometimes wonder why it fell between the cracks.
Without loss of generality (meaning - I do not wish to forget or disrespect someone), but as an example, JHPJHP from "PureBasic Interface to OpenCV" is doing a great job and I really like his posts. But he is producing loads of examples on weekly basis and giving a "thank you" from everyone interested in this topic would really make it unreadable.

This way, for all those guys (and girls, perhaps? :)) who are doing a great job, a token of appreciation could be given from the users without disturbing the flow of the thread!

I guess that technical part of this proposal is certainly not an issue, regardless of all the work PB team is doing.

With my best,

Bruno
Henry Spencer
Samuel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Samuel »

I think it would be great if this was implemented into the forums. :D

I mean as you guys said it's not the end of the world if it doesn't get put in, but I still think it would be nice to have something like this.
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

It is a good idea.
It seems to have been partially implemented
Mr Mat:
Maybe something plain like "New user", "Enthusiast", "Addict" for most users with PB staff having their own titles
Except that these are linked to the User's quantity of posts - that makes someone like me, who asks more questions than replies with solutions, appear to have more expertise in PB than the reality (i.e. struggle to spell my own name).
With the current system, spammers might hit a dizzy height of PB expertise overnight. :mrgreen:
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

@bbanelli: which phpbb plugin do you know for that ?
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

I read of one suggestion to change the language strings in the 'Thanks For Posts MOD'.
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
bbanelli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by bbanelli »

Fred wrote:@bbanelli: which phpbb plugin do you know for that ?
Hi Fred,

I apologize for missing this post, I was on vacation!

For my college phpBB forum, IIRC, we used Karma MOD for positive and negative karma and it worked pretty well. I think that only modification was to add aggregated number of applauds/smites but maybe that has already been corrected in newer versions of mod, since the one we used was... long time ago, to say the least. :)

But, end point is - it worked really well and didn't interfere with standard forum work at all.

With my best,

Bruno
Henry Spencer
DontTalkToMe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by DontTalkToMe »

I'm all for meritocracy.

Would be nice to have a *karma* value per user, or if that is not possible at least the possibility to vote for single posts and to see a list of the top voted posts of all time, the last month, etc. or to sort search results based on votes.
You are not required to look a these lists or include the criteria in your searches, but for the ones finding this useful at least one of the features above or even better both would be really great.
It is not accident something like this is ubiquitously found in so many forums nowadays.
It's really useful and can have positive effects on the community behavior in general at least from what I witnessed.
This forum doesn't need it desperately but it wouldn't hurt. :)