Advice needed

Windows specific forum
TerryHough
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Advice needed

Post by TerryHough »

Is there a way to have a Windows system visible to the intra network but invisible to the internet?

I know, a little bit of a strange question. but, that is what it appears I need to do.

I need 5 systems to be able to map to a drive on a system that is visible only to the local area network. I imagine it is pretty simple to do, but I'm not finding any answers.

Only idea I have so far is setting up a NAS (network attached storage) unit, but I have no experience with that at all.

Thanks for your suggestions if you can help.

Terry
Shield
Addict
Addict

Re: Advice needed

Post by Shield »

Not sure what your internal network setup is...if you want to prevent a device completely
from accessing the Internet you have to deny routing, i.e. you have to configure your router
properly (and firewalls if you use them).

I would assign your storage device to VLAN A and your other devices to VLAN B,
then ensure that traffic gets properly routed between these VLANs but prevent any routing from
VLAN A to the Internet.
Blog: Why Does It Suck? (http://whydoesitsuck.com/)
"You can disagree with me as much as you want, but during this talk, by definition, anybody who disagrees is stupid and ugly."
- Linus Torvalds
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Re: Advice needed

Post by Lunasole »

TerryHough wrote:Is there a way to have a Windows system visible to the intra network but invisible to the internet?
It all ups to firewall, there is not a problem to block any unnecessary connections with any IP not from your LAN.
"W̷i̷s̷h̷i̷n̷g o̷n a s̷t̷a̷r"