Windows specific forum
blueb
Addict
Addict

Re: Large Capacity Hard Drive, Still not recognized after GP

Post by blueb »

I remember that happening to me once.

I didn't show up because I had not "assigned" it a drive letter. e.g. "Z:\"

Look for Disk Management in the 'Computer Management' program.

HTH
- It was too lonely at the top.

System : PB 6.10 LTS (x64) and Win Pro 11 (x64)
Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X w/64 gigs Ram, AMD RX 6950 XT Graphics w/16gigs Mem
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

You haven't mentioned your exact OS. WindowsXP x86 and below (possibly Win7 x86 Basic/Home too?) only support drives (internal or external) up to 2TB in size. The OS has to be 'informed' and that is done with the drive manufacturer's own util app.
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

IdeasVacuum wrote:WindowsXP x86 and below only support drives (internal or external) up to 2TB in size.
That's right for MBR as I remember. The server version of XP has disk drivers with GPT support, simple trick is just to copy those drivers to your XP professional replacing limited originals. I've connected this way my newer drives with GPT to old systems (x86), however I can't tell about >2TB drives exactly as I don't have such.
But GPT uses 64-bit addressing anyway so it should work.
"W̷i̷s̷h̷i̷n̷g o̷n a s̷t̷a̷r"
smacker
User
User

Post by smacker »

For GPT to work you need to have an UEFI compliant BIOS and motherboard, and the drive must support UEFI. You can only boot from GPT on UEFI based computers running 64 bit versions of Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, or Windows 10 (and the corresponding server versions). All versions of Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and Windows 10 can read GPT drives and use them for data but can’t boot from them without UEFI (Windows XP 64-bit can format and read GPT but can not boot from it). GPT disks will support up to 256 TB per single partition in Windows and will support up to 128 primary partitions. If you have a UEFI compliant BIOS and motherboard and drive, the supported Windows versions can do this natively and no manufacturer app is needed The directions I use that always works for me are located here (see option two on this page) > http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26 ... -disk.html
The world and human nature was screwed up before I was born. It's not my fault and I'm just stuck with trying to deal with the mess left behind, so don't blame me.