Program Auto Run from USB stick

Windows specific forum
RichardL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Program Auto Run from USB stick

Post by RichardL »

Hi,
I have written a utility program to assist my wife with administration tasks at her gymnastics club. It is used at home on her desk PC and on her laptop whilst at the club. It would also be useful to run it on other laptops without needing to install anything on the laptop; so INI files and temporary files are not sprinkled all over the place. Anyway, it would be very useful to have a program run from a USB stick when it is inserted. Can anyone assist / hint with this or tell me I'm wasting my time?

Thanks
RichardL
normeus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Program Auto Run from USB stick

Post by normeus »

with a text editor create a file with these contents: ( of course replace my sample gym data )

Code: Select all

[Autorun]
Open=manage\RunGym.exe
Action=Start Gym
Label=GYM USB
Icon=manage\RunGym.exe
name it "Autorun.inf" on the root folder of the USB ( main folder ) and make sure the entension is "inf" not "inf.txt"

However, this feature is probably disabled on your system and if it is not please disable it because anyone with an autoboot usb could run stuff on your computer. :(

Norm.
google Translate;Makes my jokes fall flat- Fait mes blagues tombent à plat- Machte meine Witze verpuffen- Eh cumpari ci vo sunari
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Re: Program Auto Run from USB stick

Post by IdeasVacuum »

...Indeed you can simply run the app by navigating to the USB drive and double-clicking the app icon. That way, Windows won't get upset :)
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.