Post bugs related to the IDE here
Wolfgang2
User
User

IDE crashes and removes itself from programfiles\purebasic

Post by Wolfgang2 »

OS: Win7 prof. SP1 64 bit on a Core I7 with 32gByte of RAM
PB Ver. 5.62 64 bit

I have a *VERY* strange behaviour here and write it down here just to see if anyone else has seen something like this before:
I have a program that uses 99% PB functions and some windows API calls to do HTTPS get requests.

Sometimes ( but not always ) if the part with the InternetOpenUrl_ and InternetReadFile_ API calls is run, the IDE crashes without any error message.
So far so "good".
What makes it really special is the fact that after that crash, the "PureBasic.exe" from c:\Programfiles\Purebasic is vanished. It simply does no longer exist.
But if I try to overwrite it, i cannot because windows tells me that something is locking it.
Also, my code uses OpenPreference() and WritePriferenceString() to store results of the HTTPS GET requests. If the IDE crashes as written above, the created preference file is also vanished after the crash. Even if the preferences file did already exist before the code was run, it is removed by this crash.

So it seems the crash runs some cleanup code that removes all objects that have a handle within the ide/debugger or such. Including the IDE executable itself. But luckily none of the .pb source code files. ( I have backups and GIT, so no big deal.. )

After rebooting the PC i then can re-install PB. I can't without reboot as the installer complains that it is not able to write the PB files.

Any idea ?

I will:
- Narrow down if it is related to using the debugger or not and/or compile options...
- Try to make an as-short-as-possible sample code showing the behaviour
- Check if the virus scanner is somehow involved...
- Check with an older PB version.
But all the checking is very time consuming as whenever it happens, I need to reboot and then re-install PB.

Thank you,
Wolfgang
Dude
Addict
Addict

Re: IDE crashes and removes itself from programfiles\purebas

Post by Dude »

I don't know what the problem is, by try just logging off and then back on, instead of rebooting. May save you a bit of time.
Bisonte
Addict
Addict

Post by Bisonte »

That sounds like a very agressive AV !

In your case I think the AV deletes the exe quiet... without notification.
PureBasic 6.04 LTS (Windows x86/x64) | Windows10 Pro x64 | Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus | R9 5900X | 64GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3080 TI iChill X4 | HAF XF Evo | build by vannicom​​
English is not my native language... (I often use DeepL to translate my texts.)
kenmo
Addict
Addict

Post by kenmo »

Yeah, absolutely sounds like an AntiVirus to me... kill the program, and move the exe (probably to some "quarantine" somewhere).
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

I agree with the above: turn off your AV and see if it still happens, or try inside a clean virtual machine with no AV installed. Or even boot in Safe Mode and see. Lots of tests. :)
Wolfgang2
User
User

Post by Wolfgang2 »

Dear Forum, sorry for the long delay.

Indeed, it was the stupid AV software doing this.
I start to lean towards the opinion of several professionals, that the best usage of AV software is to not use it at all.

So, thanks again for the replies and sorry for not responding quickly.