Going back to preset gtk2 on PB for Linux

Got an idea for enhancing PureBasic? New command(s) you'd like to see?
walbus
Addict
Addict

Going back to preset gtk2 on PB for Linux

Post by walbus »

I don't think it makes sense to set gtk3 as preset for PB, because it is mostly incompatible with PB for Mac and Windows.
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Re: Going back to preset gtk2 on PB for Linux

Post by mk-soft »

Use SubSystem 'gtk2'
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
Justin
Addict
Addict

Post by Justin »

Oma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Oma »

I would agree in principle, but then gtk3 could end up as a neglected child and its usability could become even worse.
Someday the support of gtk2 will drop from the distributions, and then we'll be empty-handed!
PureBasic 5.4-5.7, Linux: (X/L/K)Ubuntus+Mint - Windows XP (32Bit)
PureBasic Linux-API-Library & Viewer: http://www.chabba.de
walbus
Addict
Addict

Post by walbus »

@Oma
Yep, you are right
I've seen we got a lot fixes for Linux bugs that are almost two years old, on two days !
I guess that didn't come from screaming hooray !
Actually, I should be happy about that, but it makes me very sad.
useful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by useful »

@Oma Yep, you are right, but

To solve problems with gtk3, you must either limited to a particular distribution, desktop environment, a version of the gtk libraries, and even design theme, or look towards a serious rebuild for every platform under the analogy https://github.com/Etersoft/korinf

p.s. At least in the first phase beta test, all test in a single environment and to achieve satisfactory performance. And then to test in environments of personal preference
And thereby to separate the fundamental errors of compatibility issues with different versions of libraries, themes, desktop environments.

p.p.s But it is necessary before the test to officially announce the environment in which they work and which guarantee compatibility
Dawn will come inevitably.
walbus
Addict
Addict

Post by walbus »

Now, Oma has clear seen the reason for this thread

gtk3 is never compatible to the versions for Mac and Linux

Also, i understand, it is very complicated for try making mostly compatibility
But, for beginners, it is important we have compatibility

Looking in the compiler options, the gtk handling is all other as easy

We want also continuous fixes !

When it starts to get more and more restless in the forum, more and more people complain, then suddenly there are fixes coming up
But one day you just don't want to be ignored anymore
freak
PureBasic Team
PureBasic Team

Post by freak »

Oma is right. gtk2 is no longer being developed, so sooner or later there will be problems with it. I am not a big fan of the gtk3 philosophy either, but we have to go with the times.

walbus wrote:I've seen we got a lot fixes for Linux bugs that are almost two years old, on two days !
I guess that didn't come from screaming hooray !
Screaming bloody murder doesn't help either. We are aware of the issues. Its not like we are deaf to what you are saying.

Speaking for myself, it is simply a matter of time and motivation. I have less and less of both to spend on PB these days. So the reason for the surge in bugfixes these days is because I am investing my vacation time to improve PB. That's just not something I can do every week.

It's ok to voice your concerns. But your best shot of getting things improved is still to post constructive bug reports, even if it might take a while for them to be fixed. Complaining won't improve anything.

useful wrote:To solve problems with gtk3, you must either limited to a particular distribution, desktop environment, a version of the gtk libraries, and even design theme, or look towards a serious rebuild for every platform under the analogy https://github.com/Etersoft/korinf

p.s. At least in the first phase beta test, all test in a single environment and to achieve satisfactory performance. And then to test in environments of personal preference
And thereby to separate the fundamental errors of compatibility issues with different versions of libraries, themes, desktop environments.
What would be the point of that? If we reduce testing to a single environment, then your programs won't work on your end-user's systems because you can't force them to use a specific distribution. It is the other way around: The more different varieties that people are testing with, the more issues we can actually see and fix.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
useful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by useful »

The point is that to cover all possible distros and versions of gtk3 is not really in a proprietary project your forces.
And to have one guaranteed to distribution and the rest to the extent possible, for comparative analysis real.

p.s. I have already given an example of honesty: tested with Gtk3.18.9, should be up to date with version 3.22.
https://sites.google.com/site/euphoriagtk/Home
Dawn will come inevitably.
walbus
Addict
Addict

Post by walbus »

@Freak
Thanks for the answer, i understand
But, how will this continue ?
Oma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Oma »

"And all this time
Ohohoho all this time
You have had it in you
Just sometimes need a push" (Maria Mena)
@freak: Please don't be mad, i'm just kidding.

Your bad luck that I was on vacation too, and my artisan didn't show up with the new windows for the house. So I had some time to pass on my mood and be a little annoying :wink: .
Nevertheless, many thanks for the current bugfixes.
Maybe it is still possible to handle some more urgent cases before the next update (e.g. TextGadget alignment on PB 5.61, no ImageGadget events, ImageGadget Width/Height)

Best regards, Charly
PureBasic 5.4-5.7, Linux: (X/L/K)Ubuntus+Mint - Windows XP (32Bit)
PureBasic Linux-API-Library & Viewer: http://www.chabba.de
freak
PureBasic Team
PureBasic Team

Post by freak »

Oma wrote:Your bad luck that I was on vacation too, and my artisan didn't show up with the new windows for the house. So I had some time to pass on my mood and be a little annoying :wink: .
Don't worry, it did not come across that way.
Oma wrote:Maybe it is still possible to handle some more urgent cases before the next update (e.g. TextGadget alignment on PB 5.61, no ImageGadget events, ImageGadget Width/Height)
Those are still on my list, but what looks like a simple problem is actually not that easy to solve.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur