Lexers support for Scintilla

Got an idea for enhancing PureBasic? New command(s) you'd like to see?
deseven
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Lexers support for Scintilla

Post by deseven »

Please include the full version of Scintilla with lexers (syntax highlighting) support for Linux and Mac.
If you don't want to make the default library larger it could be an optional param for InitScintilla() or different Library Subsystem in compiler options.

P.S. Yes, i know that you can pass a parameter with an alternative DLL name, that's windows-only and doesn't count.
deseven
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Lexers support for Scintilla

Post by deseven »

Fred? Freak? Anyone?
Is it too hard to just write "yes, we'll do that" or "no, we won't do that"? Please, my current project relies on that, i don't know whether i should wait or just give up and use a different solution.
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

+1
Korolev Michael
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Korolev Michael »

+1
Former user of pirated PB.
Now registered user :].
ssb
User
User

Post by ssb »

+1
Tristano
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Tristano »

Hi @deseven,

I'm also very interested in this.
PB Help documentation on Scintilla doesn't say much, it mostly refers the user to the Scintilla website. It doesn't even say which version of Scintilla is being employed in PB 5.42, and there is no mention on the issue of the Lexers.

So far I've understood that the Scintilla DLL that comes with PB was compiled specially for PB.

From the Scintilla website I've learned that there is no Scintilla DLL binary for download, only the "SciLexer.dll" that comes with SciTE, which comes with Lexers. I've tried downloading the "SciLexer.dll" and passing that to the Scintilla gadget, instead of the PB version of it, but it doesn't seem to accept it.

Searching on the forum I've noticed that in the past there were also static libraries for Scintilla available for Windows, but they don't seem to be maintained any longer.

One of the reasons that prompted me to buy PureBasic was the Scintilla gadget. I have to admit that I have been stuck for quite a long time in learning PureBasic. I search the forum for examples, discussions, ecc., but I find lots of problems regarding different versions of PB: many examples or libarires no longer work, and rarely the source code mentions the version of PB employed. So far, most examples I've found relating to Scintilla component, or the static library for Windows, were of no use due to incompatibility issues.

So, please, if you do make any progress on this issue give me a buzz. I'd like to find out more on how to use Scintilla with Lexers.
Possibly, compiling a customized Scintilla DLL, with custom Lexers, would be ideal. But then, how would one go about headers? The PB Scintilla library comes only in byte code, if I'm correct?
The PureBASIC Archives: FOSS Resources:
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

Search for SRod's GoScintilla. It is a custom lexer, and you will find dozens of examples of it being used. I have successfully used it with the built-in library, with PB's scintilla.dll, and also with the SciTE SciLexer.dll.
normeus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by normeus »

SRod's website is not there anymore.
You could try to get GoScintilla from here:

http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtop ... 79#p308579

Norm.
google Translate;Makes my jokes fall flat- Fait mes blagues tombent à plat- Machte meine Witze verpuffen- Eh cumpari ci vo sunari
Karig
New User
New User

Post by Karig »

I know this is an ancient thread, but in case anyone's searching the forums for GoScintilla, I found version 3 on Github:

https://github.com/tajmone/purebasic-ar ... oScintilla
Tristano
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Tristano »

Karig wrote:... in case anyone's searching the forums for GoScintilla, I found version 3 on Github:

https://github.com/tajmone/purebasic-ar ... oScintilla
A few (due) notes about the version 3 (taken from the GitHub repository):
GoScintilla 3 takes on from the latest version of GoScintilla 2, tweaking slighlty its source code to make it compatible with PureBASIC 5.51.

The required changes were few (just 3 lines of code changed) and should make GoScintilla 3 work with any PureBASIC version >= 5.10.

Please, note that the shift from v2 to v3 only denotes a backward compatiblity breakage, NOT ADDITIONAL FEATURES!
When I increased GoScintilla version number from 2 to 3 some confusion arose regarding potential new features. The resason I chose to make it v3 are due to the fact that I use semantic versioning convention for the project (as is standard on GitHub), according to which a backward compatiblity breaking change requires a MAJOR version number increase, regardless of any new features.

More details on the discussion can be found in this thread:

http://forums.purebasic.com/english/vie ... 14&t=67368
The PureBASIC Archives: FOSS Resources: