Controlling the IDE - What features would you like to see?

Got an idea for enhancing PureBasic? New command(s) you'd like to see?
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Re: Controlling the IDE - What features would you like to se

Post by Tenaja »

...although it is not really relevant to remote controlling the IDE.
It is, to the extent that a plugin could be written to do these tasks. (I don't know if we currently have the ability or not.)
Trond wrote:Tenaja: To get all debugger windows to disappear, create a keyboard shortcut for the action "kill program". When you press Shift+Ctrl+X (in my case) all debugger windows disappear.
I have set this up already, with alt-x. Unfortunately, it is intermittent, and sometimes you must click the debug window for it to work.

I'd much prefer a quick click to a button that always works.
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

Tenaja wrote:Unfortunately, it is intermittent, and sometimes you must click the debug window for it to work.
I use [Ctrl+Break] to halt my programs and all opened windows(running app, debug, variable, etc.) are closed.
It is intermittent because the shortcut [Ctrl+Break] only works when the IDE has the focus.

But I agree there are way too many windows proliferated in time and a global window closer would be nice.
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

Actually, sometimes I must click the Debug window to get it to work.
Trond
Always Here
Always Here

Post by Trond »

Tenaja wrote:Actually, sometimes I must click the Debug window to get it to work.
Try using another shortcut. Shortcuts with Alt+Letter are unofficially reserved for mnemonics (the underlined letters in menu items and button text).

Edit: Also there is an issue where the IDE may hang for a second after program quit and won't accept any input. I wish they would fix this, but they cannot reproduce it.
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

Well, that stinks! Especially since alt-x wasn't used elsewhere.

Ok, so I set it to ctrl-Q, and I still have to click the debugger window to get it to close. Apparently I can't close debug windows while the IDE has focus.
Trond
Always Here
Always Here

Post by Trond »

Tenaja wrote:Well, that stinks! Especially since alt-x wasn't used elsewhere.

Ok, so I set it to ctrl-Q, and I still have to click the debugger window to get it to close. Apparently I can't close debug windows while the IDE has focus.
You are using the integrated debugger, right? Because the standalone debugger is, well standalone, so it can't get input from the IDE.
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

Yes, I'm using the integrated debugger. I don't even know how to use the standalone one, other than having the option show up when I accidentally hit Compile/Run twice, or in the middle of a debug session. (And I have always hit No.)

At least I think I found out why it is inconsistent. When the program has NOT finished, my shortcut closes the debug windows regardless of which has focus. When the program has finished, the debug windows must have focus for the shortcut to work.

I know a lot of guys would prefer new commands, but my personal preference is an easy-to-use IDE that behaves 100% consistently. This one has got to be the most frustrating IDE I've ever used, and PB doesn't seem to have any suitable alternatives. Japbe has its own issues, and iirc, it was very slow to respond.
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

freak wrote:
skywalk wrote:Why is the IDE release(features and bug fixes) tied to the PB compiler releases?

Have you ever considered releasing IDE updates separately?
Well, it is one product. There is one combined documentation and I actually develop both IDE and libraries. The IDE with its integrated debugger is now very much tied to the current debugger and compiler version so it is not completly separate. Also, it is more work to put together a release that most people realize. One release cycle for everything is just simpler.
I really wish Fred and freak would reconsider tying the IDE releases to the PureBasic Language release.
The productivity gains I seek are currently locked up in the IDE's behavior. :(
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
Trond
Always Here
Always Here

Post by Trond »

Tenaja wrote:At least I think I found out why it is inconsistent. When the program has NOT finished, my shortcut closes the debug windows regardless of which has focus. When the program has finished, the debug windows must have focus for the shortcut to work.
That is very strange. I have used this shortcut thousands of times and it works fine every time.
freak
PureBasic Team
PureBasic Team

Post by freak »

skywalk wrote:
freak wrote:
skywalk wrote:Why is the IDE release(features and bug fixes) tied to the PB compiler releases?

Have you ever considered releasing IDE updates separately?
Well, it is one product. There is one combined documentation and I actually develop both IDE and libraries. The IDE with its integrated debugger is now very much tied to the current debugger and compiler version so it is not completly separate. Also, it is more work to put together a release that most people realize. One release cycle for everything is just simpler.
I really wish Fred and freak would reconsider tying the IDE releases to the PureBasic Language release.
The productivity gains I seek are currently locked up in the IDE's behavior. :(
What makes you so sure that releasing the IDE early gives you what you want?
In fact, this feature isn't even fully implemented yet, and I am not sure it will be finished for the upcoming release at all (at least not to the extend you seem to expect), so don't get your hopes up too much.

@everyone:
Thank you for the suggestions. I am not sure to what extend I will be able to implement this, but the ideas are appreciated.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

freak wrote:What makes you so sure that releasing the IDE early gives you what you want?
In fact, this feature isn't even fully implemented yet, and I am not sure it will be finished for the upcoming release at all (at least not to the extend you seem to expect), so don't get your hopes up too much.
freak, your humility is getting the better of you. :wink:
I will take your best effort any day.
What say you, if my hopes are only 10% of the suggestions made? 8)

Seriously though, I have been using the [Find in files...] routine extensively...
My hopes are that I can create a Tool that does at least that functionality but with my optimizations.
Thanks again for this topic!
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

Tenaja wrote:Well, that stinks! Especially since alt-x wasn't used elsewhere.

Sharing a tip to others who want this feature:

I found a way around giving focus to the Debug window to close it quickly... unfortunately it's not with a kb shortcut.
I made a toolbar button for Kill Program. I know, it's already there in the debug button section , but that one is disabled when the program is not actually executing--it would be best if the IDE was updated to make it active any time it can perform an action! Anyway, if you add a new one, it stays active full time, and works even after your program has finished executing.

Have fun!
Mohawk70
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Mohawk70 »

Any new news on this freak ?
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

Hi freak,
Any chance we might see some Tool enhancements with v5 betas?
A.D.
User
User

Post by A.D. »

I want drag'n'drop for files from the explorer tool to a command like LoadImage(1, "hellokitty.png") so that the filename will be replaced by one mouse move.
Repeat
PureBasic
ForEver