Workspace Control (WIP)

Applications, Games, Tools, User libs and useful stuff coded in PureBasic
eesau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Workspace Control (WIP)

Post by eesau »

This is looking really great! Does it use canvases?
uwekel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by uwekel »

- Full Theme-Support
Does it use native themes of the operating system?
PB 5.70 LTS (x64) - Debian Testing, Gnome 3.30.2
SergeyA
New User
New User

Post by SergeyA »

Awesome!
metalos
User
User

Post by metalos »

Hello, Is there something new on this project?
Poshu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Poshu »

Well, you need to learn something important there : while Alexi seems very talented and like to show off interesting pieces of software, you won't ever see the color of a release, sadly :/
Bananenfreak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bananenfreak »

Poshu wrote:Well, you need to learn something important there : while Alexi seems very talented and like to show off interesting pieces of software, you won't ever see the color of a release, sadly :/
Or something to test.
Samuel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Samuel »

I think the main reason we see topics about products, but never see the products themselves. Is that the creator gets ahead of himself a little bit and I kinda understand why.

When you start a nice project and it looks very promising. You can have the urge to announce it to the world.

Unfortunately, major problems could arise as the product is still young and it could be pushed onto your back burner or even dropped completely.

Maybe this is what happened to Alexi's Workspace Control or maybe he's still working hard on it and just hasn't given us any new info.
Poshu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Poshu »

Yup, but he does that for a metric tone of projects :/
Danilo
Addict
Addict

Post by Danilo »

Some people, including myself, can't work on a project for a very long time. At least not
without a manager within a team, with an experienced person who coordinates/manages things,
motivates people, gives feedback, talks about ideas, etc. (like a mentor or master).
It is just getting boring when working alone. You are not 100% confident about your ideas, and you
start to be doubtful about yourself and your ideas after a while. Sometimes you just get stuck somewhere
and would need some external help, or feedback, or motivation (sometimes you don't realize that yourself, or you
want to do it alone, anyway - maybe because you are alone, and you always have been alone with your stuff).

Such persons also almost always need new stuff from time to time, new challenges and new motivation, new kicks.
When working alone on a long-time-project, you need to be relaxed, self-confident, and you need to be very patient. The reward for your effort
may be ahead in time, somewhere in the far-away future. Some people are impatient, they need/want/require quicker rewards and feedback,
so long-time-projects is just not for them. At least not without a team and/or manager/mentor/master.

Good thing is, they always learn new stuff and may get very experienced, and may get advanced knowledge,
in sometimes many different fields. But they never finish the really big projects, at least not when they are young.
(And when those people get older, time is running away, so maybe they will never ever make the next big thing.
When you get older, you may just want to give up at some point. But you can't, so you just continue...)

There are always new ideas coming, and it is impossible to make all of those ideas become reality, because when
you start a project, you already get so many new ideas for new things, as the flow of ideas never ever stops.

It becomes a real problem if you show -or talk about- WIP (Work-in-progress), and other people actually see that you never ever
finish something. People start to think you are a talker, a teller of fairy tales. Only blah-blah, no final results.
Otherwise it is not such a big problem, and I think quite some coders have those problems.

While they may never complete/finish something big themselves, possibly making big money with a finished and polished product,
such people can use their coding experience and help other people to finish their projects and make big money. ;)
Artus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Artus »

Hi, is it possible to get a trial Version from your control library?
I would like to use it in an Editor for my 3d engine.

Greetings
Arthur from unionbytes
Mistrel
Addict
Addict

Post by Mistrel »

It look great. I hope you do finish this and are kind enough to share the source with us.
Mistrel
Addict
Addict

Post by Mistrel »

If you're using the WebGadget component of PureBasic, be prepared for different behavior across operating systems, including different versions of Windows.

I ran into a lot of problems with this when trying to use WebGadget as a layout engine for an application.
Mistrel
Addict
Addict

Post by Mistrel »

Fascinating. I'm very impressed with your other work as well. Thanks for the update.
Poshu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Poshu »

For all my hardware accelerated UI need, I am using Clutter ( https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Clutter ), what will make Workspace Control better?