TailBite specific forum

Moderators: gnozal, ABBKlaus, lexvictory

Le Soldat Inconnu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

TailBite and PB5.30

Post by Le Soldat Inconnu »

Hi,

I get some error with PB 5.30, and i can't compile any library (all works fine on PB 5.22)

First error i get is :

When i compile a library named DrawText, I get error : "Line 1 - Invalid name: Same as a command (from library 'DrawText')"

So i try to delete old library and i get :
No error, but no library in "PB 5\PureLibraries\UserLibraries"

Any idea ?
LSI
Paul
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Re: TailBite and PB5.30

Post by Paul »

I get this error right away...

Error
Line:58
C:\Users\Klaus\AppData\Local\Temp\TailBite Installer Build\Inc_Misc.pb
Invalid memory access

It seem the source for TailBite has not been kept up to date on the website since the last version of PureBasic that can compile it is PureBasic 5.00
Image Image
mestnyi
Addict
Addict

Post by mestnyi »

Nobody uses that whether tailbite?
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

Hasn't TailBite had it's day? It can be really counter-productive. Gnozal's superb libs for example are no longer updated and therefore cannot be used with the latest PB.
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
Paul
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by Paul »

It's much nicer to work with a PB User Lib than a DLL.

I can't remember how many years ago now Fred said he would be adding Tailbite functionality natively into PB and we are still waiting :(
Image Image
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

...it's much nicer to work with the Source Code. ABBKlaus has released the source for the excellent PDF lib for example. So, only the Developers that want to sell their Lib to other PB Developers have a real need for TailBite. Of those, some would probably be happy to sell their code, but unfortunately there are some untrustworthy folks who would re-distribute or publish it.
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
bosker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by bosker »

Well, I have userlibs that add functionality for my development. I have about 30 or 40 additional functions (or should that be 'procedures ;-) that add things I am used to in other languages. They just make writing the code easier and behave as if they are part of the compiler - perfect.
My customers get executable binary only so they have no idea how I build them.

Purelibraries are an excellent feature of Purebasic - unique for a compiler in my software experience over the last 40 years.
I have long wished it was possible to create these libraries using 'official' purebasic tools but failing that I've been using Tailbite.

Tailbite quit working because asm layout changed and (in 5.30 at least) functions in the assembler are not currently decorated with comments - hopefully the comments will be reinstated next release.
In the meantime, I rewrote my libraries in assembler so I'm safe for now.

I had a look at the Tailbite source and (although I don't know for sure) it looks like it has been continuously modified over a long period of time and a refactor would not go amiss. The maintainers of it have my great admiration (and sympathy).