[PB5.44, 5.51, 5.60] IDE crash still alive

Post bugs related to the IDE here
Oma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

[PB5.44, 5.51, 5.60] IDE crash still alive

Post by Oma »

Hi!
It looks as if the old bug with the crashing IDE is still alive.
It happens immediately after the start of PureBasic, especially if you jump directly to another position in the code with the Procedure Browser,
changing the line or adding code and press [Return], [Cursor up] or [Cursor down].
If the crash doesn't occur immediately, the IDE seems stable.
Apparently it depends on the code (presumably the length) in the current tab after the start, how unstable the IDE responds.
The problem is reported in the german forum too: http://www.purebasic.fr/german/viewtopi ... 21&t=30085

But it's difficult to reproduce.

Seen on PB5.44, PB5.51, PB5.60
Regards, Charly
PureBasic 5.4-5.7, Linux: (X/L/K)Ubuntus+Mint - Windows XP (32Bit)
PureBasic Linux-API-Library & Viewer: http://www.chabba.de
Justin
Addict
Addict

Re: [PB5.44, 5.51, 5.60] IDE crash still alive

Post by Justin »

I comfirm this on Linux Mint 17 PB5.60 64Bit, it crashed so often that was almost impossible to code, mostly when using cursor up / down or return. Then it seems to stabilize a bit, but is extremely difficult to code this way.
Besides, the blank autocomplete window is still present also, having to restart the ide to work. The ide is almost unusable for me in this state.
swhite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by swhite »

Hi

I have the same experience using OpenSuse Leap 43.2. The autocomplete list is blank. Cursor keys and Enter and mouse clicks often cause the IDE to vanish. Sometimes I can write a number of lines of code between crashes other times it seems to happen as soon as I use the cursor keys.

It is nearly impossible to use the IDE. The actual compiled app works properly.

Simon
Simon White
dCipher Computing
Kukulkan
Addict
Addict

Post by Kukulkan »

I just tried on KDE Neon (Kubuntu 16.04 with most recent Plasma Desktop). The PB 5.45 LTS x64 runs fine here.

I can only confirm the blank autocomplete list (not always, but every now and then). But I do not have such crashes...
collectordave
Addict
Addict

Post by collectordave »

Not sure if it is related but I am using ubuntu 16.04LTS and PB 5.61

Running my programme seems fine but the IDE disappears!

The only thing I have noticed is that when using the openfilerequester a warning is issued that there is no transient parent whatever that means.

Usualy dissapears after using the file requester a couple of times.

CD
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
coco2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by coco2 »

I get the same thing on Mint 18.3 Mate 32-bit. I would try and troubleshoot the problem but it doesn't provide much information apart from "Segmentation Violation". Happens very often it's hard to get any coding done :(

Sorry for the bump :oops:
Martin Verlaan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Verlaan »

PB5.62 crashes often here too under Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon (64 bit). I love PureBasic but this really sucks and need a quick fix (please?)
uwekel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by uwekel »

The empty code completion bug is very old. See here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=66147. Maybe not worth to fix for this few linux users :-(
PB 5.70 LTS (x64) - Debian Testing, Gnome 3.30.2
deeproot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by deeproot »

Running PB5.62 I also still get occasional IDE crashes, same "Segmentation Violation" type as above. However, for me personally they do not appear as frequent as with previous versions or Betas.

It mostly, though not always, seems to happen when attempting to insert a new line - as the first action of the session. If the crash does not happen at the start of the session then the IDE usually remains stable.

It's annoying when it occurs but is not so bad that it holds up my coding sessions very much.

Also I sometimes get the "empty code completion" problem after using the IDE for a while. Can't see any particular pattern for this.

For most work I'm now using MX Linux 64-bit with XFCE.