Deploying .app

Mac OSX specific forum
netmaestro
PureBasic Bullfrog
PureBasic Bullfrog

Deploying .app

Post by netmaestro »

I was hoping some OSX guru could tell me how to distribute an .app file. I made one with PB and emailed it to someone who said that their OS wouldn't allow it to be executed. I've dl'd apps from the net before and it's just a warning that you can bypass. This person was of the opinion that there was nothing they could do. Is that possible? And - how do I deploy without problems?
BERESHEIT
wilbert
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Re: Deploying .app

Post by wilbert »

What you can try is let them right-click the .app file and open it through the menu that pops up.
Windows (x64)
Raspberry Pi OS (Arm64)
netmaestro
PureBasic Bullfrog
PureBasic Bullfrog

Post by netmaestro »

It's appreciated but I'm trying to avoid just a quick bandaid. What's the mainstream approach? What's the process for getting software into the app store? I'm such a noob at this mac shit!
BERESHEIT
wilbert
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by wilbert »

The proper way is to sign your application with a developer certificate.

See also this thread
http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtop ... 19&t=47183
Windows (x64)
Raspberry Pi OS (Arm64)
deeproot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by deeproot »

Had some similar issues and agree it's a pain, but it also appears straightforward to workaround.

I distribute my application packaged up in a dmg file, offered for download from my own website. There's also a webpage about installing on the Mac and the last paragraph explains that it is "unsigned" and needs to be "allowed" by the Security & Privacy settings in system preferences (for Mountain Lion onwards).

The are plenty of explanations about this on the web, including Apple's site and other simple guides using either the "right-click" or more permanent (or semi-permanent) settings. It doesn't sound too hard to me and not much hassle for a single install. I've had one or two users who struggled with right-click and had no idea where System Preferences are (not much hope really!) but plenty of others who installed with no trouble.
wilbert wrote:The proper way is to sign your application with a developer certificate.
I totally understand that, but just at the moment don't want to sign up for a Mac Developer license and go through all the approval stuff. I'll maybe look at that again in future but currently only make one Mac program and it hardly seems worth it.
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by mk-soft »

I like this tool for create dmg
Link http://dmgcreator.sourceforge.net
:wink:
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
mark5009