Firefox Quantum - oh, the speed!

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Re: Firefox Quantum - oh, the speed!

Post by Fangbeast »

They already know that, but so far they have seen no reason to implement it correctly.
They do?? Then they are behaving irresponsibly but not fixing this. I love being able to put out portable PB programs and having no impact on the host system and there is no reason why others can't do it either.
You can find portable (virtualized) versions of vivaldi on the world wide web, but this is not a solution for me, because the browser will no longer run natively in the system.
Of course not. If it puts gunk into the registry, it's no longer portable and has had an impact on the host. Probably have to reset preferences on every system it is run on then (Just a guess) but it's unacceptable behaviour to do what they are doing, even if it's just a simple "Hello, we were here" sort of thing.

They cannot be called portable with their behaviour.
Amateur Radio, D-STAR/VK3HAF
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

Fangbeast wrote:They cannot be called portable with their behaviour.
I totally agree. One main reason for me to use "portable" apps, is the reason to work with computers which have (very) troublesome windows installations. A portable utility which tries to access or even write an existing windows registry, would obviously be fatal and therefore not be useful anymore and i have to find a different solution. Dunno if this could create a problem on a win-pe usb bootsystem running from a non-writeable usb stick, but it does raise warning flags :)

Thanks for the vivaldi suggestion, it does look very interesting and i replaced Firefox with it on my desktop.
webpage - discord chat links -> purebasic GPT4All
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

I totally agree. One main reason for me to use "portable" apps, is the reason to work with computers which have (very) troublesome windows installations. A portable utility which tries to access or even write an existing windows registry, would obviously be fatal and therefore not be useful anymore and i have to find a different solution.
Funny you should mention that. I put a tiny toolkit together for that reason as I was fixing a friend's computer (Still not right). The dreaded "IRQL less or not equal" is still killing their system (The number of things applies to are legion!!!). I wanted to be totally portable to not introduce variables into their system and it was working until they took it home and did who knows what to it.
Amateur Radio, D-STAR/VK3HAF
tj1010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by tj1010 »

I wonder if this means their 64bit install doesn't require 2GB anymore?

Their sandbox and bounty systems still aren't as good as Chrome though, and that's what counts to me. EDGE and Safari were winning RAM benchmarks, and Opera winning speed before this.

I'm waiting for DNS over TLS from somebody.. That's a true "game changer"
The truth hurts.
Zebuddi123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Zebuddi123 »

malleo, caput, bang. Ego, comprehendunt in tempore
tj1010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by tj1010 »

I already use it. The resolver needs to support TLS though and I don't want to use solutions like Stubby(endpoint rollout reason mostly). It needs a browser-native daemon or ISP gateway firmware support.

Android didn't get it till just now with "P" and ROM management is basically wrecked so you have to buy a new high-end model phone for it.

Most people will tell you to just use VPN services. Not realizing they are basically relaying all their traffic through the system of anyone who can make a website advertising the service.
The truth hurts.