Is The End Of Code Really Coming ?

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
Mohawk70
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is The End Of Code Really Coming ?

Post by Mohawk70 »

tj1010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Is The End Of Code Really Coming ?

Post by tj1010 »

People who don't know what linear and non-linear regression modeling and modern unsupervised deep learning love to talk about class 4 self-driving cars and generic A.I.

If we see air based traffic scheduling on a mass level(flying cars) or anything remotely resembling remotely resembling mastering of dynamical systems even in a quarter of millennium I'll be surprised.. This isn't the electron, cog, or transistor..
The truth hurts.
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

I didn't read comments, but post is about nothing. Why for example he didn't noticed such obvious reason of "The End Of Code" as overflow of the coding industry?
Like any other industry, it started by small amount of enthusiasts. Then it commercialized, and then it became truly mass (with tools/languages developed for masses, etc).

Today almost every scholar knows how to code typical "pro" tasks on python or whatever-else-created-yesterday, and can do it good enough after a little practice. "Professional" languages and compilers are good enough to be fool-proof and do smart things instead of fool drivers. You just need someone having fine manipulation skills + quite more knowledges/experience, to control those student/scholars teams and do EVERYTHING.
Even in Google/MS/other "top companies" there are no really cool programmers nowadays. Allmost all is done by SW architects/similar semi-managers, then it is just lifted down to a regular codemonkeys level and they implementing what is needed and how is needed (following all the rules/guides and plans defined from above, or even using languages designed especially for them), often even without knowledges about what they doing in total.

And that is the real end of code, which happens over several recent years. Now coders in 90%+ cases are just working class of current century, like a plant-workers staying over the day around machinery and doing 1-2 movements over conveyor.
So, yet another occupation with low-qualification entry point. More funny is that even being servant in MCDonalds probably requires more skills and attention span, than to be coder, lol (not even saying about other physical occupations, because they really require incomparably more skills and experience, among with intellectual efforts).

"It has never has been more predictable, boring, but (still and for now) economically viable to be a programmer" :3
"W̷i̷s̷h̷i̷n̷g o̷n a s̷t̷a̷r"
tj1010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by tj1010 »

Lunasole wrote:I didn't read comments, but post is about nothing. Why for example he didn't noticed such obvious reason of "The End Of Code" as overflow of the coding industry?
Like any other industry, it started by small amount of enthusiasts. Then it commercialized, and then it became truly mass (with tools/languages developed for masses, etc).

Today almost every scholar knows how to code typical "pro" tasks on python or whatever-else-created-yesterday, and can do it good enough after a little practice. "Professional" languages and compilers are good enough to be fool-proof and do smart things instead of fool drivers. You just need someone having fine manipulation skills + quite more knowledges/experience, to control those student/scholars teams and do EVERYTHING.
Even in Google/MS/other "top companies" there are no really cool programmers nowadays. Allmost all is done by SW architects/similar semi-managers, then it is just lifted down to a regular codemonkeys level and they implementing what is needed and how is needed (following all the rules/guides and plans defined from above, or even using languages designed especially for them), often even without knowledges about what they doing in total.

And that is the real end of code, which happens over several recent years. Now coders in 90%+ cases are just working class of current century, like a plant-workers staying over the day around machinery and doing 1-2 movements over conveyor.
So, yet another occupation with low-qualification entry point. More funny is that even being servant in MCDonalds probably requires more skills and attention span, than to be coder, lol (not even saying about other physical occupations, because they really require incomparably more skills and experience, among with intellectual efforts).

"It has never has been more predictable, boring, but (still and for now) economically viable to be a programmer" :3
There is actually a lot of empirical evidence against this. Virtual freelancing has been almost an entirely third-world market for the better part of the past decade, and even before the recent indian programmer restructuring in mass with fortune five-hundred companies there was a big trend with H1-B and Eastern Europe and Russian programmers do to cost-value.

The average budget for revenue generating cross-platform apps projects across all the top virtual freelancing sites is <=$250.00. There is no equity with that either.. The average freelancing job wants you to compete with what's toping charts on the two major mobile stores for what you spend on food as a single person in two-weeks in a first-world nation.. This screams the opposite of programmers being valued.

As someone with first-hand experience the only place where I'd say this isn't reality is with investment banking where you're basically doing regression modeling to predict and buy stocks and licensing it to investment firms or working for the investment firms and getting equity.. This is an extremely narrow market though..
The truth hurts.
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

tj1010 wrote: The average budget for revenue generating cross-platform apps projects across all the top virtual freelancing sites is <=$250.00. There is no equity with that either.. The average freelancing job wants you to compete with what's toping charts on the two major mobile stores for what you spend on food as a single person in two-weeks in a first-world nation.. This screams the opposite of programmers being valued.
That's rather because of a market competition, if talk about freelance (and especially about mobile apps, where that competition is really hard).
$250 is almost nothing in USA, but here you can live for it 1 month or much longer, paying for food, renting apartment and so on. In India it's even more valuable for sure. Online freelance has world-wide market, so nothing strange that other countries offered same services for much lower prices. It has different reason than industry overflow (however, just "worldwide industry overflow"^^).

If take "something like internal country market" -- i.e. "full-stack" programmers salaries, there are anyway enough companies which can't or won't use outsourcing. So It doesn't looks like offers on it had lowered enough to become "unprofitable" already, not only in your financial sector it should be still fine.
But that surely is a strong trend anyway, in any country will be a moment when there will be too many programmers "qualified" enough to do 99% of required things, which of course will lower rewards a lot, not mentioning those non-economical consequences.

Nothing to do anyway, that whole world constantly changes
tj1010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by tj1010 »

Lunasole wrote:
tj1010 wrote: The average budget for revenue generating cross-platform apps projects across all the top virtual freelancing sites is <=$250.00. There is no equity with that either.. The average freelancing job wants you to compete with what's toping charts on the two major mobile stores for what you spend on food as a single person in two-weeks in a first-world nation.. This screams the opposite of programmers being valued.
That's rather because of a market competition, if talk about freelance (and especially about mobile apps, where that competition is really hard).
$250 is almost nothing in USA, but here you can live for it 1 month or much longer, paying for food, renting apartment and so on. In India it's even more valuable for sure. Online freelance has world-wide market, so nothing strange that other countries offered same services for much lower prices. It has different reason than industry overflow (however, just "worldwide industry overflow"^^).

If take "something like internal country market" -- i.e. "full-stack" programmers salaries, there are anyway enough companies which can't or won't use outsourcing. So It doesn't looks like offers on it had lowered enough to become "unprofitable" already, not only in your financial sector it should be still fine.
But that surely is a strong trend anyway, in any country will be a moment when there will be too many programmers "qualified" enough to do 99% of required things, which of course will lower rewards a lot, not mentioning those non-economical consequences.

Nothing to do anyway, that whole world constantly changes
People here in Estonia live off 250-600 euros too, but everything looks like it was hit by a missile and if you're not part of the inherit-from-a-soviet-era-pensioner population you're kind of screwed even if you invest over generations.. Supposedly the average salary in Estonia is 1,100 euro a month, but the only people I know who make or exceed that are a minority in IT, truck driving, and local engineering roles which doesn't account for most domestic industry..

Making AAA games and large-scale SaaS stuff for $200.00 a contract seems to only make sense in about three countries in the world..
The truth hurts.
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

tj1010 wrote: People here in Estonia live off 250-600 euros too, but everything looks like it was hit by a missile
Hah, probably it looks so because you didn't lived in placed where most of those missiles were located ^^
Generally, Estonia provides MUCH better conditions than Ukraine, or Russia.