Touting for AV/FW/IS Software Recommendations

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
spikey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Touting for AV/FW/IS Software Recommendations

Post by spikey »

My current anti-virus/firewall software (AVG) has been so radically dumbed down in its latest upgrade that it's going to have to be replaced now as I can no longer tolerate the chronic lack of all the features they've stripped out over the last couple of years.

Anyone have any recommendations, or offer any warning about products that they know won't meet these requirements?
It seems that AVG is now a rebrand of Avast so I'm guessing that's out too...

It needs to:-
1. Offer antivirus/rootkit realtime and on demand scanner and firewall.
2. Be significantly more configurable than just switching components On/Off. IE I want control over what gets scanned, when it gets scanned, be able to pause and resume a running scan, configure the firewall...
3. Not jam up my compilations without having to alter the AV configuration every time, or having to deactivate it.
4. Not hog all the processor time and system memory.
5. Be (VirtualBox) virtual machine aware, without being deactivated.
6. Have a 64-bit variant - that is preferrably actually a 64-bit application.
7. Offer a centralised management console.
8. Have a Windows and ideally an Android variant too (although I'll compromise on Android if it met all the others).

Any suggestions gratefully received...
chi
Addict
Addict

Re: Touting for AV/FW/IS Software Recommendations

Post by chi »

So you are looking for the eierlegende Wollmilchsau (egg-laying wool-milk-sow) :twisted:

I'm using an old version of Comodo's Firewall (5.12) and no AV. Uninstalled Avast 2 years ago (because of all the crap). Am interested too ;)
Et cetera is my worst enemy
spikey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by spikey »

chi wrote:So you are looking for the eierlegende Wollmilchsau (egg-laying wool-milk-sow) :twisted:
When you put it like that... :D
I didn't think I was being unreasonable - I just wanted all the features that AVG used to have back again! :cry:
tj1010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by tj1010 »

sandboxie and sonicwall HW firewall

signature engines are proven to not be effective and most AV vendors falsely claim to have behavior analysis and sandboxing...

Avira, Dr.Web, and Quihoo360 tend to get detections before others on honeypot samples.
The truth hurts.