Hello world, long time no post

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
Nituvious
Addict
Addict

Hello world, long time no post

Post by Nituvious »

What's going on in the PureBasic world? It has been a while since I last used PB but recently I found a collection of my old PB projects and have had a blast playing with them again after maybe 4 years of not touching the language.
I haven't been able to find patch notes for the compiler so I don't know what has changed. How has the language matured? Is talk of OOP still taboo around these parts?
And more importantly what is everyone working on? I would absolutely love to see some eye candy!
▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░
netmaestro
PureBasic Bullfrog
PureBasic Bullfrog

Re: Hello world, long time no post

Post by netmaestro »

No oop in sight but the past 4 years have seen many enhancements to PB. If you call up the Help and look under 'History' you can see them all. There is no more Ascii mode, we have several exciting new libraries such as Vector Drawing, Dialog, and now with the latest (still beta) version, UseGifDecoder() and CanvasGadget() can now serve as a container. Welcome back!
BERESHEIT
TI-994A
Addict
Addict

Post by TI-994A »

Nituvious wrote:What's going on in the PureBasic world? ...after maybe 4 years of not touching the language ...I don't know what has changed.
As netmaestro has said, plenty of changes through the years. However, one of the major additions would be the new set of bind events, that provide callbacks at gadget and event levels. These change the dynamics of the main message loop, and have recently been complemented with the all-new Event() function to inspect the triggering event within the callback. Another major development would be modules, which isolate code in separate namespaces, essentially introducing class-like plugins into PureBasic.

A few more noteworthy mentions; default data types can no longer be set, there's a new boolean function, colour constants can now be applied across all platforms, and threads can communicate through the PostEvent() and EventData() functions.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. :wink:
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too! Please visit my YouTube Channel :D
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

Nituvious wrote:Is talk of OOP still taboo around these parts?
YES! So don't start. :twisted:
Nituvious wrote:I don't know what has changed.
Read the History: https://www.purebasic.com/documentation ... story.html
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

Dramatic changes for me:
PostEvent() for clean threads.
Vector2D lib for antialiasing and thick brushes.
CanvasGadget() event & container handling.
SpiderBasic -> Javascript processor.
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
Marc56us
Addict
Addict

Post by Marc56us »

Dude wrote:
Nituvious wrote:I don't know what has changed.
Read the History: https://www.purebasic.com/documentation ... story.html
And of course last news for the very good 5.60 (beta)
http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtop ... 14&t=67584

:wink:
tj1010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by tj1010 »

Get the demo or full and look in history under help. HTTP got TLS and memory-buffer support and proxy support was added in 5.60.. Lots of 3D stuff.. Basically.. Still no POST support so dependent on third party HTTP still.
The truth hurts.