[moved to SE C905] Looking for cool SE K800 alternative

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

[moved to SE C905] Looking for cool SE K800 alternative

Post by Lunasole »

Hi.
I'm seeking recently for something to replace my old SE K800 phone (which was really cool for a years, until I burned part of it circuits in own crazy experiments ^^ after that it works only "partially" - can't see GSM networks and is binded forever to a supply unit, as it power/recharging circuits are dead too).

It's however not a problem to repair it or buy another one, but I think it would be nice to find something which has WI-FI module also.

So what I need can fit in following key params:

Code: Select all

— WI-FI support (to get free & fastest internet from my home router)
— display 240х320 pixels or higher resolution, but not too big physical size (to read books nicely)
— MIDP 2.0 support (also for books, there is unique reader soft which never was reproduced on those androids/iphones, it works only on MIDP 2.0 and I never will exchange it for any stupid appstore app with 2 buttons and some pff, unhandy primitive gestures allowing ridiculously simplified control over app)
— camera like in K800 or better (that should not be a problem)
— must be old-school push-button phone, I really dislike those dirty touch-screens and touch-GUIs with "2 buttons" which size takes half of a screen
— should not be extremely slow/badly coded firmware (can be just "badly coded" ^^)
— mono-block form-factor, not some fashionable unpractical toy which dies or breaks after falls 1-2 times from 1-2 meters high (sic)
I know those requests might look strange for someone in 2016, but there is nothing but logic & pragmatism behind them. If you like I can even explain "why and for what" ^^ (although already most explained)

Anyway, thanks for ideas if there will be any.
Generally any model which meets those request should be acceptable, even if it will be smart-phone.
For now I only found "SE J10i Elm" as very similar, but it doesn't looks good enough ("bad/cheap display" and really slow firmware).

PS. Here is my K800 photo made in 2014 with some book example :)
https://pp.vk.me/c836139/v836139286/11b ... D2DMBs.jpg
Last edited by Lunasole on Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"W̷i̷s̷h̷i̷n̷g o̷n a s̷t̷a̷r"
tj1010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Looking for cool SE K800 alternative

Post by tj1010 »

You basically want a Java or Symbian phone. Modern qwerty phones are all Android with big screens with the exception of those. They have bad security and low-RAM. Most segfault with basic website or decoding.

You'll probably end up bending to a big touch screen phone with a slide-out qwerty for the camera quality and performance.

Nokia E6 was the last phone that I can find that actually comes close to your specs.
The truth hurts.
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

tj1010 wrote:You basically want a Java or Symbian phone. Modern qwerty phones are all Android with big screens with the exception of those. They have bad security and low-RAM. Most segfault with basic website or decoding.

You'll probably end up bending to a big touch screen phone with a slide-out qwerty for the camera quality and performance.

Nokia E6 was the last phone that I can find that actually comes close to your specs.
Interesting. I know about security (constant flow of such news appears, looks like everybody hacks and steals from them, not saying that google wants to know too much, and of course chinese vendors like to learn more about stupid lǎowàis). What I didn't expected, that it can be so bad as "most segfault with basic website or decoding." ^^

Thanks for E6 variant btw, I'll take a look on it. Currently gathering all the options (others already suggested more old SE C905 and some more like Nokia N95).
tj1010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by tj1010 »

Lunasole wrote:
tj1010 wrote:You basically want a Java or Symbian phone. Modern qwerty phones are all Android with big screens with the exception of those. They have bad security and low-RAM. Most segfault with basic website or decoding.

Interesting. I know about security (constant flow of such news appears, looks like everybody hacks and steals from them, not saying that google wants to know too much, and of course chinese vendors like to learn more about stupid lǎowàis). What I didn't expected, that it can be so bad as "most segfault with basic website or decoding." ^^

Thanks for E6 variant btw, I'll take a look on it. Currently gathering all the options (others already suggested more old SE C905 and some more like Nokia N95).
Java and Symbian phones do because they usually have 128MB to 512MB RAM and don't really use a swap. J2ME phones with browsers like Dolphin did it extremely easy. Android I beleive uses a swap so it'll just be extremely slow with hard-faults.

A challenge would be finding a qwerty slide-out phone(since the fixed ones don't exist with modern hardware) with hexa or octa core CPU and 2GB+ RAM. I think this actually exists. It might be with one of those Korean brands though.
The truth hurts.
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

tj1010 wrote:
Java and Symbian phones do because they usually have 128MB to 512MB RAM and don't really use a swap. J2ME phones with browsers like Dolphin did it extremely easy. Android I beleive uses a swap so it'll just be extremely slow with hard-faults.

A challenge would be finding a qwerty slide-out phone(since the fixed ones don't exist with modern hardware) with hexa or octa core CPU and 2GB+ RAM. I think this actually exists. It might be with one of those Korean brands though.
Well anyway I was using web from mobile only through Opera Mini, with it's proxy servers compressing and filtering pages. That's mainly "read-only" mode (enough to read any site, with images or without them), and it generally never consumes lot of RAM, due to high optimization of that opera pages format and application code. And it is enough, as anyway it is impossible do something more complex effectively from any mobile device, I'm always using PC for anything else than reading or simple IM-conversations, etc.

That's ridiculous for me that Google used swap on mobiles (with such a giants amount of RAM, like 128 or even 64/32 mb, which is a lot of times larger that RAM of that K800 for example) instead of doing things such optimized way ^^
Yet another example of pseudo-progress as for me (like all that stuff with ultrahigh resolutions and DPI and many other similar things being made and spread just because some marketeers in some corporations had nothing to do). Anyway also thank for such details.
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

Also what about the main topic, currently I mostly like idea of buying Sony Ericsson C905.

It has so damn cool camera (providing quality better than in almost every modern mobile, or even in regular digital cameras) and other mentioned stuff nicely done (except maybe "monoblock" form-factor), that really looks perfect as for me to replace my old K800.

And it matters that it is still possible to buy that phone [which was "high-end" model in far 2008] in new conditions for less than $100 in my country (original, not a chinese clone), because several old shops still having few samples of it at their storages (thanks to smartphones fashion, such old cool phones are not popular for many years already ^^).

So I really like this one more that any other of all the advice lists I've collected from 5 forums, hope will not get disappointed.
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

Lunasole wrote:That's ridiculous for me that Google used swap on mobiles (with such a giants amount of RAM, like 128 or even 64/32 mb, which is a lot of times larger that RAM of that K800 for example) instead of doing things such optimized way ^^
Yet another example of pseudo-progress as for me (like all that stuff with ultrahigh resolutions and DPI and many other similar things being made and spread just because some marketeers in some corporations had nothing to do). Anyway also thank for such details.
No swap here (Nexus 4):

adb shell
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
shell@mako:/ $ free -m
		total        used        free      shared     buffers
Mem:             1827        1759          67           0           9
-/+ buffers/cache:           1750          77
Swap:               0           0           0
Since Android 5 or so, it uses SELinux and since Android 6 it is in enforcing mode. So Android Phones are pretty secure, unless you have physical access to it. But even then it is very difficult to come in.
bye,
Daniel
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

Well few days ago I finally got my Sony Ericsson C905 (had to wait about 30 days for delivery).

I've paid for it about $80, not original phone as planned (a chinese clone, hah, I like how those guys making business ^^ i.e. first they had foreign factories in their country 'because of a cheap workers', but then they learned all the stuff and recreating it amazingly selling over all the world... nice payback for 'cheap workers'), but quality is definitely good. It looks like this one can stand much more hot meetings with asphalt than any typical smart-phone :3

Nothing to add more, camera and other things are done nice and giving what was expected, as well I didn't seen any bugs. So I can suggest this phone for anyone who like classical mobiles, it's probably one of better models available from that epoch today.

PS. Today I also spend evening writing j2me application for it just for fun^^ That was a pain with all those JDK, IDEs and SDK, but after lot of anger I've made it... compiled "helloword" with 2 errors unfixed :)
However, really I have no idea what I can write for it. Almost anything what is usable, already was created for j2me for many times.
tj1010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by tj1010 »

DarkDragon wrote:
Lunasole wrote:That's ridiculous for me that Google used swap on mobiles (with such a giants amount of RAM, like 128 or even 64/32 mb, which is a lot of times larger that RAM of that K800 for example) instead of doing things such optimized way ^^
No swap here (Nexus 4):

adb shell
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
shell@mako:/ $ free -m
		total        used        free      shared     buffers
Mem:             1827        1759          67           0           9
-/+ buffers/cache:           1750          77
Swap:               0           0           0
Since Android 5 or so, it uses SELinux and since Android 6 it is in enforcing mode. So Android Phones are pretty secure, unless you have physical access to it. But even then it is very difficult to come in.

Nexus 4 has around 1.4GB RAM after OS reserved; I'm guessing. With no swap you could probably reboot the phone with some type of HD decoding or heavy thread usage. I think they do implement some type of marshaling so it'd have to be across sandboxes.

SELinux is far easier to poorly configure than AppArmor, and like with other sanboxing it only takes memory corruption in one of the service or kernel APIs to escape. I'd imagine people with such exploits wouldn't give them away without a huge bounty or target though because there is such a small surface to find others. Companies like Vupen(which means governments too) and some productive researchers probably have sandbox escapes stashed away for Android and IOS. Malware developers and activist groups probably not so much..
The truth hurts.