Windows 10

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
electrochrisso
Addict
Addict

Re: Windows 10

Post by electrochrisso »

I needed to learn Win10 as part of my work, so I buy a new cheap tablet type computer with detachable keyboard, I must say it works really good as it has been designed for Win10, I have several other computers running Win7 and 8.1 and their is no way I am upgrading them to 10 because it is a bit of a hit and miss if all will go well. And as for the roll back this is also a bit of a hit and miss.
PureBasic! Purely one of the best 8)
heartbone
Addict
Addict

Post by heartbone »

electrochrisso wrote:I needed to learn Win10 as part of my work, so I buy a new cheap tablet type computer with detachable keyboard, I must say it works really good as it has been designed for Win10, I have several other computers running Win7 and 8.1 and their is no way I am upgrading them to 10 because it is a bit of a hit and miss if all will go well. And as for the roll back this is also a bit of a hit and miss.
Cheap? If everything doesn't change economically, then based on what I see, you'll be able to pick up a Windows 10 computer very cheaply in the near future.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/310194 ... 0-pro.html
http://www.infoworld.com/article/310723 ... -them.html
http://www.infoworld.com/article/310969 ... -back.html

By the time that I actually need one to test any software that I am pressured to develop for that OS,
I'm thinking sub $80 for a low end used device that has a keyboard, display, USB, and ethernet ports.
Of course by that time, the leading edgers will likely have gone onto an OS that is newer and 'better'.
Keep it BASIC.
Keya
Addict
Addict

Post by Keya »

i think all Windows developers should have W10 if only for compatibility testing!
Just get it up and running in VirtualBox or VMWare or whatever, and keep its Network disconnected, too easy :D
No need to buy another computer then either, just get a few gigs more RAM! (hoooly doooly i ♥ VMs)

heartbone
Addict
Addict

Post by heartbone »

Keya wrote:i think all Windows developers should have W10 if only for compatibility testing!
Just get it up and running in VirtualBox or VMWare or whatever, and keep its Network disconnected, too easy :D
No need to buy another computer then either, just get a few gigs more RAM! (hoooly doooly i ♥ VMs)

I don't think that paying M$ $199 is trivial or good.
Also what if your software relies on network communications?
I think that it's better to grab the cheapest used POS actual hardware that you can find for the occasional minutes of testing needed.
Or even better yet, use someone else''s system,
Keep it BASIC.
Keya
Addict
Addict

Post by Keya »

heartbone wrote:Or even better yet, use someone else''s system,
well i guess Windows 10 has similarities with remote access trojans :D (yes NSA im talking to you!)
heartbone
Addict
Addict

Post by heartbone »

Keya wrote:well i guess Windows 10 has similarities with remote access trojans :D (yes NSA im talking to you!)
Some call it sneaky, I characterize it as malicious behavior.

Sneaky Data Mining In Windows 10 Sends Encrypted Data To Microsoft Every 5 Minutes

It's not like it's a secret that they are doing it.
The contents of what they send, yes that is a secret.
However the fact that they are sending out Windows 10 user's data, that is not a secret.
The fact that many people will willingly drink from that fountain unfortunately guides a big part of our collective future.
Keep it BASIC.
DontTalkToMe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by DontTalkToMe »

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ ... -explorer/
One of the least popular new “features” in Windows 10 is the advertising function Microsoft injected directly into the operating system. Ads show up in a number of ways, from promotions of Windows Store apps in the Start menu to pop-up “reminders” that Microsoft’s Edge browser gets better battery life than Google’s Chrome.

While Microsoft is addressing some other complaints about Windows 10 in the upcoming Creators Update — such as privacy concerns over the data that’s being transmitted and issues regarding how the operating system updates itself — the company seems intent on retaining Windows 10’s advertising functionality. In fact, it has apparently been adding OneDrive commercials to File Explorer

In the meantime, remember to upgrade your solitaire

and maybe buy Office

I would like for the OS to shut up about the software I want to install and refrain from making comments about it

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/3/123693 ... ifications

This is insane, how can you tolerate it ? Uninstall this spammer now or better yet do not install it at all.
Send Microsoft a message or live with your pants down forever with more crap to come, as if installing updates without your consent behind your back and randomly restarting wasn't enough.

But maybe you don't mind. If that's the case there is no hope anymore then.
heartbone
Addict
Addict

Post by heartbone »

DontTalkToMe wrote:This is insane, how can you tolerate it ? Uninstall this spammer now or better yet do not install it at all.
Send Microsoft a message or live with your pants down forever with more crap to come, as if installing updates without your consent behind your back and randomly restarting wasn't enough.

But maybe you don't mind. If that's the case there is no hope anymore then.
Yes, whorprit America has gradually gone insane over the past 15 years or so, the past three increasingly exponentially crazy.
Anyone who buys electronics from a US whorpration is taking quite a chance on many levels.
Installing their latest generation of software (including the unnecessary crap in the automobiles) is the same as asking Big Brother to be your roommate.

Microsoft’s ads in Windows 10 are getting out of control
Sliding down the slippery slope

"At this point, one wonders if Microsoft even needs the Windows Store, when the whole OS seems to be a bazaar."

Computers just aren't as personal as they used to be, now are they?
Keep it BASIC.
DontTalkToMe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by DontTalkToMe »

https://betanews.com/2017/03/12/disgust ... ws-10-ads/
Don't believe what Microsoft tells you -- Windows 10 is not an operating system. Oh, sure, it has many features that make it look like an operating system, but in reality it is nothing more than a vehicle for advertisements. Since the launch of Windows 10, there have been numerous complaints about ads in various forms. They appear in the Start menu, in the taskbar, in the Action Center, in Explorer, in the Ink Workspace, on the Lock Screen, in the Share tool, in the Windows Store and even in File Explorer.

Microsoft has lost its grip on what is acceptable, and even goes as far as pretending that these ads serve users more than the company -- "these are suggestions", "this is a promoted app", "we thought you'd like to know that Edge uses less battery than Chrome", "playable ads let you try out apps without installing". But if we're honest, the company is doing nothing more than abusing its position, using Windows 10 to promote its own tools and services, or those with which it has marketing arrangements. Does Microsoft think we're stupid?
No, they know it. They are just testing how much.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... gQDj9z8.97
Terry Myerson / Executive Vice President, Windows and Devices Group wrote: At Microsoft, we are deeply committed to protecting our customers’ privacy. This includes providing clear choices and easy-to-use tools that put you in control of how your information is collected and used. Trust is a core pillar of our More Personal Computing vision, and we are working hard to make sure Windows 10 is the most secure Windows ever and a product you love and trust.
Give me control of the update process, stop sending out data not pertinent to the OS functionalities, and stop spamming me. This would be a start.
tj1010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by tj1010 »

I use 10 because of all the optimizations and security mitigation. I haven't found too much of the UI/UX that I can't get past. The "telementary" services are the only real problem; someone needs to make something to block those ~8 updates and services that it's based on.

10 Pro, Xubuntu or OpenBSD, my own Android 7.1.1 xperia z C6606 ROM,and OSX Sierra on a $400.00 macbook air(mostly for IOS dev) does everything but mainframe type stuff.. Not sure what all the impossibruuu stuff regarding 10 is all about it even still has the 7 controlpanel.
The truth hurts.
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
Thunder93
Addict
Addict

Post by Thunder93 »

Some of the procedures that I take. I don't like how Microsoft Windows 10 keeps hammering with Get Office, but simply remove the store app and all is good.

I've used Quick Assist a bit, I haven't used it much in recent days. However upon exiting I think, it kept showing up every-time with give feedback dialog. I've seen this with few other 10 apps. However not so much these days.
ʽʽSuccess is almost totally dependent upon drive and persistence. The extra energy required to make another effort or try another approach is the secret of winning.ʾʾ --Dennis Waitley
sys64802
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by sys64802 »

The problem with policies settings, beyond not being often available in the home version, is they work in a build but they can be removed in the following one. It is already happened.

Do people use this thing at work ?
I don't know how a company can rely on a ever-changing OS, which destroy your settings and policies from one update to another, which reinstall things you have removed or reverts them back to a state different from the one you carefully customized just a week before.

If MS don't change its tune it's going to have a nice surprise in the long run.
tj1010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by tj1010 »

For people like me who want all the optimizations and hardening. This disables all the telemetry. https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
The truth hurts.
Zebuddi123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Zebuddi123 »

Hi tj1010 Thanks for sharing. Just goes to show how much I had missed in locking 10 down and I`m sure there will be more to add. :)

Zebuddi.
malleo, caput, bang. Ego, comprehendunt in tempore