Windows 10

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
heartbone
Addict
Addict

Re: Windows 10

Post by heartbone »

jack wrote:one thing with windows 10 that irritates me to no end is the lack of menus in the edge web browser and other apps, I don't like icons instead of meaningful menus. :evil:
I have zero experience with the new OS, but I totally agree with you about idiotic icons without text menu options.

So much love for WinX.
:twisted:
http://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/windows-10-sucks/ac35c8d6-fae4-4e72-b4bf-bd0bdacb1854
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/windows-10-sucks/c8a87f81-52ab-4f00-8d9a-8b9fd68b6456
http://www.windowscentral.com/14-reasons-not-to-upgrade-windows-10
https://www.facebook.com/win10sux/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbD2HlERpvs

As an unfortunate Windows® Vista Ultimate victim, I thought that they would have learned from their past mistakes,
http://www.forums.purebasic.com/english/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=33488
but apparently not.

Right now I'm thinking that to be absolutely safe, doing anything proprietary and secret on a WinX box is a no-no.
Keep it BASIC.
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
heartbone
Addict
Addict

Post by heartbone »

I never heard of "Taking the Mickey", but I have heard of being "Mickey Mouse".

What Is A Virus?
"A computer virus is a program or piece of code that is loaded onto your computer without your knowledge and runs against your wishes."

And I thought that intentionally spreading a virus was not permitted.
It must depend who is doing the spreading.
Keep it BASIC.
electrochrisso
Addict
Addict

Post by electrochrisso »

PureBasic! Purely one of the best 8)
jack
Addict
Addict

Post by jack »

I am more and more convinced that Microsoft's arm was twisted so to speak by the US government into turning the Windows OS into a spying tool, no wonder they released it free of charge.
but Microsoft is probably not alone in this, and unless you only run your own OS, and even then, how can you be sure you are not constantly being monitored?
the only way I see is that you isolate yourself completely from the internet and perhaps become a monk in an impossibly accessible monastery.
heartbone
Addict
Addict

Post by heartbone »

electrochrisso wrote:Check this out: http://www.irrlicht3d.org/pivot/entry.php?id=1485
Thanks for linking to those interesting quotes.
He makes a good point to the developers, but I'll go even further.
If I ever release anything else for Windows®, I'll make sure that it won't run on 10.
My apps not running in 10 would likely happen anyway :lol:, but I'll take extra measures just to make sure.
jack wrote:I am more and more convinced that Microsoft's arm was twisted so to speak by the US government into turning the Windows OS into a spying tool, no wonder they released it free of charge.
Of course, they are a US Corporation therefore subject to those freedom robbing federal Executive Orders.
but Microsoft is probably not alone in this, and unless you only run your own OS, and even then, how can you be sure you are not constantly being monitored?
the only way I see is that you isolate yourself completely from the internet and perhaps become a monk in an impossibly accessible monastery.
I try to avoid fear based speculating and I try to stick to the facts.
Unfounded fear is never a good thing, and acting on it is worse.
I think that fear of Windows Vista 10 is well founded.

I have very little fear of Windows® XP which I am currently running, or UBUNTU 14.04 LTS which is what I run the other half of the time.
The hardware that I use is called a PC.
What I use to utilize the hardware is a PC operating system.
At this point I consider both XP and UBUNTU 14.04 to be perfectly fine PC operating systems.

Once the Vista 10 EULA is comprehended on an adult level, can one seriously consider Windows® 10 to be in any reasonable sense of the term, a personal computer operating system?

In my opinion, developing proprietary intellectual property such as computer software, music, a novel, or even graphics artwork,
while using the non-Enterprise version of Vista 10,
is a huge risk to the content's confidentiality,
and would be an extremely unwise practice.

Microsoft explains why it's pushing Windows 10 so aggressively (spoiler: it's to keep you safe)

"Maybe instead of trying to force users of older versions of Windows onto its new OS, Microsoft should take the time to figure out what it is about Windows 10 that’s keeping users away."

Yes indeed jack, they just can't react logically with the 'hidden hand' of the USGovt directing their every move.
Keep it BASIC.
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

jack wrote:I am more and more convinced that Microsoft's arm was twisted so to speak by the US government into turning the Windows OS into a spying tool
It's not. You're just being paranoid. Governments don't have that sort of control over private businesses. I know; I work for one.
the.weavster
Addict
Addict

Post by the.weavster »

One of the documents released by Snowden detailed a timeline of when large US corporations were recruited to the PRISM program. Microsoft, Apple and Google were all on there and the document stated all were 'willing participants'.

It's made me so cynical when I read recent articles concerning Microsoft resisting US authorities access to data on Irish servers and Apple's loud pronouncements about encryption my first instinct is to think it's just a charade.
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

Willing participants are not arms being twisted.
heartbone
Addict
Addict

Post by heartbone »

tj1010 wrote:The only solid valid reason for using 8.1 or 10 is gaming.
{snip}
The only reason I haven't went to 10 is because all the spying services and the uninstalling it can do. I'm still on 7 SP1 full-update. I have 8.1 on a gaming laptop for the software optimization.
Apparently your observation is correct tj1010.

With this update, we’re expanding PS4’s Remote Play capabilities to work with Windows PC and Mac.
Remote Play on PC / Mac is compatible with the following system software:
Windows 8.1
[9.56% marketshare 3/16]
Windows 10 or later [14.15%]
OS X 10.10 [2.06%]
OS X 10.11 [4.05%]

WTF!!! No support for Windows XP (10.9%) !!! :evil:
That's twisted.
Keep it BASIC.
RSBasic

Post by RSBasic »

I've seen it already. Very funny. :lol:
Joakim Christiansen
Addict
Addict

Post by Joakim Christiansen »

I don't really think that Windows 10 "spies" on you (data collection is not the same as spying). But I write this to ask you guys this: SO WHAT?! What do you have to hide? Are you a pedophile?

I love having the NSA spy on my online life, I support them, if they can catch terrorists and pedophiles this way then I owe them a big thank you!! :D *thumbs up*

Why are people always so afraid?
What is it they are afraid of? People are seriously just paranoid and stupid these days... Like somebody would give A SHIT if you browsed some naughty sites or if you downloaded pirated stuff, that is not what they are after!!! And nobody will care about what naughty shit you write to your wife or the nude pictures you send her!!!

Why the hell are people so afraid?! What kinds of SHIT are you actually doing on your computer that is SO FUCKING ABOVE TOP SECRET?! :evil: Paranoid people is to me the same as stupid people, I am so sick and tired of hearing about their nagging.
I like logic, hence I dislike humans but love computers.
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

netmaestro wrote:... a basic index.html ... should have been around 400 bytes, Word spit out 80K of gibberish Asian characters...
I don't know what version you were using, but my Word created a similar file that was well under 1k. Also, I more commonly use Open or Libre office, which are not OS specific.

Seems you had more problems than with the OS, which could apply to any system.
Mohawk70
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Mohawk70 »

Right now I'm thinking that to be absolutely safe, doing anything proprietary and secret on a WinX box is a no-no.[/quote]

+1