Windows 10

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Windows 10

Post by IdeasVacuum »

What is Microsoft up to with the free upgrade to Windows 10? Is it simply that they want to get everyone on board so they only need to support one OS, or is it a ploy to trap everyone into something that becomes an expensive subscription model?
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Re: Windows 10

Post by Fangbeast »

IdeasVacuum wrote:What is Microsoft up to with the free upgrade to Windows 10? Is it simply that they want to get everyone on board so they only need to support one OS, or is it a ploy to trap everyone into something that becomes an expensive subscription model?
Both I think. Given their history of losing money to the opposition, it would make sense to have everyone on the one platform and dump the humoungous code kludges that go with backward compatibility on so many platforms and trap us all in a subscription model. (That's just my evil mind)

They say they will deliver windows 10 as a service but I can't see them endlesly delivering updates to us for nothing so it's safe to assume that the money will have to pay for their efforts from somewhere. The question is, where?

Big business traditionally favour subscriptions and contract models but normal people do not. I am worried about the answer too, so I keep 5 different Linux distributions handy on boot cds, just in case:):)
Amateur Radio, D-STAR/VK3HAF
ts-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by ts-soft »

It's simple, advertising! You can found some, for example, in the store.
PureBasic 5.73 | SpiderBasic 2.30 | Windows 10 Pro (x64) | Linux Mint 20.1 (x64)
Old bugs good, new bugs bad! Updates are evil: might fix old bugs and introduce no new ones.
dobro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by dobro »

To gain money, microsoft
it is already, no longer having to pay, several teams
for the maintenance of several systems ...

a single system, it will be beneficial for everyone, I think

Currently, if I code a program on my Purebasic Seven
I have no guarantee that it works on Eight!

in the future, a single Windows, it will be easier for everyone
a single API, it'll be cool

and then, if Microsoft starts to be addicted to money, there is Linux :)
Windows 98/7/10 - PB 5.42
■ sites : http://michel.dobro.free.fr/
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

dobro wrote:and then, if Microsoft starts to be addicted to money, there is Linux :)
And I have so many, lovely linux distributions backed up that I have played with that work with my weird hardware so I'll be right too:):)
Amateur Radio, D-STAR/VK3HAF
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

dobro wrote:if Microsoft starts to be addicted to money
Starts? They've been addicted for decades! :)
Julian
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Julian »

IdeasVacuum wrote:What is Microsoft up to with the free upgrade to Windows 10? Is it simply that they want to get everyone on board so they only need to support one OS, or is it a ploy to trap everyone into something that becomes an expensive subscription model?
The global piracy rate of Window is around 50-60%. Microsoft are getting nothing from those users at all. If they can give Windows 10 away and get $1 of every one of those new users for other services, games or apps through the new Windows Store, they'll have a lot of $
bbanelli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by bbanelli »

I would simply say that they are trying to avoid making Windows 7 new Windows XP.
"If you lie to the compiler, it will get its revenge."
Henry Spencer
https://www.pci-z.com/
TI-994A
Addict
Addict

Post by TI-994A »

IdeasVacuum wrote:What is Microsoft up to with the free upgrade to Windows 10?
Here's my take. :wink:

The free upgrade is not a ploy, but a desperate attempt to convert users to the new OS. Following a dismal adoption rate for Windows 8, Microsoft is not taking any chances with 10.

And the main reasoning behind this is their universal platform. They've exhaustively been trying to converge their various platforms into one, which collapsed with the recent RT fiasco. Poor development support for the Metro platform has left it unviable, with big names like Mozilla even pulling the plug on Metro versions of Firefox. Couple that with the Metro/Modern name debacle, and the axing of Windows RT, these guys were left in a real shitstorm.

Without such a viable convergence, Microsoft would not be able to realise its ultimate dream; and that is to rake in the billions from its app store, the way Apple and Google have. :lol:
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too! Please visit my YouTube Channel :D
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

it'll be free for a year as an attempt to claw back some market share
though I do wonder how the new anti malware api (bilge pump) will perform, sounds like a good plan
but it will probably benefit hardware manufactures and AV companies more than users, clear win / win
I'll just keep on fos-silising and use linux.
Windows 11, Manjaro, Raspberry Pi OS
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

TI-994A wrote:Following a dismal adoption rate for Windows 8, Microsoft is not taking any chances with 10.
There was nothing wrong with Windows 7 and Aero Glass. It looked beautiful and took me ages to afford to buy it. Then, when I do, they release Windows 8 with its crappy tiles and flat Win 3.1 look. Great. Whoever decided that should've been fired immediately and Aero brought back. (The same goes with iOS and it's new flat look introduced with iOS7, after Steve died. iOS6 was beautiful to look at).
TI-994A
Addict
Addict

Post by TI-994A »

Dude wrote:Whoever decided that should've been fired immediately...
I can't attest to the design considerations, but that was Bill's decision, to achieve absolute ubiquity of Windows.

Apps written on the current Win32 API simply would not run on lightweight mobile devices, and thus was born the Windows Runtime, in the hopes of converging the platforms.

UAP is just part two of that same blueprint. :lol:
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too! Please visit my YouTube Channel :D
Danilo
Addict
Addict

Post by Danilo »

idle wrote:it'll be free for a year as an attempt to claw back some market share
And, as far as I know, this one-year-for-free upgrade-offer is only valid for the PC you own when doing the upgrade.
If your PC or some components(?) pass away, you need to get a new/real license (AFAIK).
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

Danilo wrote:
idle wrote:it'll be free for a year as an attempt to claw back some market share
And, as far as I know, this one-year-for-free upgrade-offer is only valid for the PC you own when doing the upgrade.
If your PC or some components(?) pass away, you need to get a new/real license (AFAIK).
It's still a good offering from MS, though I don't know if it'll convince win7 users to update.
Windows 11, Manjaro, Raspberry Pi OS
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

TI-994A wrote:Apps written on the current Win32 API simply would not run on lightweight mobile devices
And they never should've expected to be. The whole affair is a shambles. Mobile should've stayed mobile; and desktop, desktop.