The Venus Project

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
Danilo
Addict
Addict

The Venus Project

Post by Danilo »

DK_PETER wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PizMuqZUWbY#t=492

"All ideologies are idiotic, whether religious or political, for it is conceptual thinking, the conceptual word, which has so unfortunately divided man."
Jiddu Krishnamurti

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
Mark Twain
Thank you very much, DK_Peter! The Venus Project is one of very few interesting projects of our time.
It may be the most important project of our time!

- The Venus Project
- The Venus Project - FAQ
- The Venus Project - Magazine
- Posters

- The Venus Project - Documentaries

- Youtube Channel: The Venus Project
- Youtube Channel: Jacque Fresco
- Youtube search: "The Venus Project"

- The Complete Venus Project Library Set

- Paradise or Oblivion

- The Choice is Ours Movie (Kickstarter: "The Choice is Ours" documentary series)

- Future by Design The Movie

- The Venus Project: The Redesign of a Culture (1994)

- TEDxOjai - Jacque Fresco - Resource Based Economy

- This shit's got to go! (subs) - Jacque Fresco - The Venus Project

- TROM Documentary - The Reality Of Me (TROM) (Vimeo Channel)

Really BIG, real-life stuff. It's about a NEW WORLD. A new world that we were dreaming about...
Last edited by Danilo on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:49 am, edited 6 times in total.
Thorium
Addict
Addict

Re: The Venus Project

Post by Thorium »

That sounds great.
I am actualy thinking about volunteering for the project. Unfortunatly currently they only need Java and SQL developers with high experience. And thats what i have very little experience with.
StarBootics
Addict
Addict

Post by StarBootics »

Indeed it's something wonderful and probably the only wayout for our civilisation.

Best regards
StarBootics
The Stone Age did not end due to a shortage of stones !
Danilo
Addict
Addict

Post by Danilo »

Thorium wrote:I am actualy thinking about volunteering for the project.
It's the first time I really want to donate, help funding, and participate in such a project.
Currently collecting and screening more informations, articles, videos, interviews with Jacque Fresco.

To be honest, I would like to visit Jacque Fresco in Venus/Florida.

Actually i'm a bit jealous about the last Kickstarter top reward:
For the boldest supporters, we offer special rewards for your generosity.
With this pledge you get all of the above plus two nights stay at The Venus Project as our special guests, for up to 2 people.
Arriving Friday afternoon and departing Sunday morning.
Organic meals provided (have it vegan, or filet mignon, or anything in between; your choice, just let us know!) and you may
attend The Venus Project Tour with Fresco on Saturday as our guest. Travel not included.
Maybe next time. ;)

Jacque Fresco has his 99th birthday on Friday, 13th March. :shock:

- TVP Magazine - Yearly donation campaign
Thorium
Addict
Addict

Post by Thorium »

One thing i dont like that much about the project is the idolization of Jacque Fresco.
I get it, he is the main driving force behind the project. But he is way to much in the front of the project. His name is everywhere. It's a little bit like he would be a guru.
I think the project shouldnt focus on one mans name.

The whole idea and concepts of the project are amazing.
luis
Addict
Addict

Post by luis »

Danilo wrote: It's the first time I really want to donate
They need money to create a society without money :)

I know, it's a just a transitional phase.
Thorium wrote: One thing i dont like that much about the project is the idolization of Jacque Fresco
It's a cult.
"Have you tried turning it off and on again ?"
A little PureBasic review
DK_PETER
Addict
Addict

Post by DK_PETER »

luis wrote: They need money to create a society without money :)
I know, it's a just a transitional phase.

It's a cult.
okay.
Current configurations:
Ubuntu 20.04/64 bit - Window 10 64 bit
Intel 6800K, GeForce Gtx 1060, 32 gb ram.
Amd Ryzen 9 5950X, GeForce 3070, 128 gb ram.
Danilo
Addict
Addict

Post by Danilo »

luis wrote:
Danilo wrote:It's the first time I really want to donate
They need money to create a society without money :)
It is how the world works today. Someone could donate to the TVP Magazine if (s)he likes it,
and people could donate to make the movie happen.

Everybody can read the Magazine for free, and watch those movies for free... because there
were some people making donations to make it happen, to make an idea/concept become reality.
In our world, making a movie and a magazine requires money.

If somebody has a problem with donated stuff, that is now free for everyone - just don't use/read/watch it. ;)

I am not necessarily an idiot when donating a few bucks to a free Magazine or when buying
a DVD collection that, through my purchase, supports the project at the same time.
I like the idea of the project, and making a donation is like saying "thank you" and supporting
the project, so they can produce more like that in the future.
Thorium
Addict
Addict

Post by Thorium »

luis wrote: It's a cult.
Thats maybe true.

However the project is still amazing. Pretty much all FAQ points are ideas i allready had and are based on common logic. It's like finding a project which actualy tries to create what i was talking about for years with friends. The only reasoning against it is the "natur of humans" argument, which i think is false. My observations suggest that culture is much more important for defining the human nature than biology. We are made to adopt, thats the strength of humans. Creating a new culture we can adopt to, pretty much changes "human nature" to that culture.

All the reasoning behind it is not like cults work.

So, we will see what happens if the cult leader dies. He is very old allready.
If the project continues without a new guru i am definitly going to join it.

What i do now is get in contact with some people of the project and get more inside look about it.
Danilo
Addict
Addict

Post by Danilo »

Thorium wrote:My observations suggest that culture is much more important for defining the human nature than biology.
That's exactly what Jacque Fresco says in the long interview "This shit's got to go!" (see first post).
Humans are formed by the surrounding culture. Just compare behaviour of humans in different
cultures. It is the same with animals. Everything interacts with the environment and surroundings,
and is influenced by it.
No chinese baby was ever born speaking chinese. It learned it, within the cultural surroundings.
A chinese Baby growing up in Italy will speak Italian and learn/absorb the Italian culture.
Thorium
Addict
Addict

Post by Thorium »

I found another project which is much more promising: http://www.onecommunityglobal.org
It's based on the ideas of the Venus Project but does actualy present concrete plans for building a research camp. All plans are open source and can be viewed on the website.

This is what i miss on the Venus Project they claim to develop blue prints and share them with the world but there is nothing other than some 3D renderings. No real research, no real concepts and blueprints.
luis
Addict
Addict

Post by luis »

Thorium wrote: So, we will see what happens if the cult leader dies.
Hi, heads up in case you missed it: it's happened.
Anyway there is always a replacement ready somewhere, probably Roxanne Meadows in this case ?
"Have you tried turning it off and on again ?"
A little PureBasic review
tj1010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by tj1010 »

Wait a second.. They are just suggesting society..

I didn't read how they mitigate average human greed and bias and prevent plutocracy and a culture segregation.. Things like poverty exist because there are people who other people don't want to be around at work or anywhere else.. Pop-context "society" is pretty much garbage.. Nobody cares about the collective until they need help..

Some of the most crude and greedy people I've ever met worked at the local department stores and restaurants, and I pretty much live all over the world.. It's a lot larger than what the _rich people do it all_ narrative that is laid out at millisecond intervals suggests..
The truth hurts.
Thorium
Addict
Addict

Post by Thorium »

tj1010 wrote: Some of the most crude and greedy people I've ever met worked at the local department stores and restaurants, and I pretty much live all over the world.. It's a lot larger than what the _rich people do it all_ narrative that is laid out at millisecond intervals suggests..
I agree with that. A lot of the "not rich people" do the exact same as the "bad rich people", just on smaler scale. And they would do the exact same if they had more money and would be in the same situation as "the rich people".

What the venus projects proposes is not just society but a focus on cultural change. A conscious manipulation of our cultural influences to change the way we feel and think. That sounds bad at first. Like no one wants to be manipulated. The truth is you are manipulates all the time. The only difference is that it's now only done for greed, it's only done so you spend your money in one place instead of another. However we could leavarage that to create a new culture, a culture that is not about greed. A culture in that contribution to the wellfare of society is more valuable than personal property. And i believe that is achievable. We humans dont work out of greed. Thats not the driving force. The real driving force is appreciation by others. We are herd animals by nature. How others appriciate us is extremly important for us. The whole greed thing is more or less just there to impress others, so they give you appreciation. Look at people like Steve Jobs, who in all honesty was a ahole. But look how much appriciation he got, he must have felt realy good. It enforced him in his behaviour. We need to enforce different behaviour by giving appriciation to different behaviour. Now how to do that on a large scale in a word wide society that works very differently is a large scale problem. But in my opinion totaly worth it to put our ressources in to try and find a solution.

The very fact that people think about changes in that direction shows that change is posssible and that we are not all motivated by greed.

Actualy the whole point of me giving up my job and starting my own company was to free myself from a greed dictated situation. And my big goal and driving force to push my compony forward is to actualy do some change to the world, to accumulate ressources to actualy be able to do something.

I could be making 10K € a month easily right now for my personal use. But i dont. I throw out a lot of money every month to invest in future projects. I dont drive a fancy car. I still live in a small apartment. I dont care about personal property that much. I get my appriciation from my employees, from my customers and from my future plans that i envision. And yes, you can be a company that does not do illegal stuff, treats there employees and customers well and still be successfull. I am living it right now.
djes
Addict
Addict

Post by djes »

What do you think of E. Musk ? He's one of the first rich person that is doing something really big to change the world with his money. He's a bit different, as he's risking his business everytime, and seems not interested to have more and more, but to do.

It illustrates also that the richest's power is now as big as some states ; is it a good thing that only one person can take decisions impacting billions of people ? It seems to me that democratic control is weaker than ever.