RIP Raptor

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
blueznl
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

RIP Raptor

Post by blueznl »

After 5 years of trusty service (well, not totally trusty :-)) my Raid 0 setup finally gave up on me.

I've bought both drives back in 2005, and have been using them in two different machines since then, almost every day.

The first of the pair died in 2007 and was replaced by WD with a new one.

As luck may have it, the replacement just died yesterday evening. Unfortunately, that's two months after the guarantee expired (dang).

Now I'm troubled, what should I do?

Buy TWO VELOCIRAPTOR150 drives (total euro 290) and run them again in Raid 0 configuration, or buy ONE INTEL XM25 80 GB SSD (total euro 219)?

(I find the 160 GB a bit too expensive for my taste, and I just might buy a second SSD in a couple of months.)

So, what should I do?

This machine is used 50% for coding, 20% for gaming, 20% for work. I do little to no video, sound and graphic work on it at the moment. My primary language of choice is (you guessed it :-)) PureBasic, which until yesterday resided on my Raid0 set on the C: drive. My swap and temp file were also located on the same Raid0 setup on the D: drive (done some benches, and impact of them being a little bit further down on the same HD didn't affect me much in real life).

I *am* running a multiboot configuration using OSL2000, and use VirtualBox to run other OS'es. Honestly, I haven't done much multibooting lately but may do so when I finally make the move to Windows 7.

80 GB on a SSD may seem small but as I've lived with approx. 80 GB dedicated to C: on my 150 GB Raid0 I think I can survive that sqeeze.

Suggestions welcome!
( PB6.00 LTS Win11 x64 Asrock AB350 Pro4 Ryzen 5 3600 32GB GTX1060 6GB)
( The path to enlightenment and the PureBasic Survival Guide right here... )
SFSxOI
Addict
Addict

Re: RIP Raptor

Post by SFSxOI »

IF your using Windows 7, and can aford it, i'd go with the SSD. If your using Vista i'd go with the SATA's set up again in Raid 0, especially if your gaming, if your not concerned with mirroring.
The advantage of a 64 bit operating system over a 32 bit operating system comes down to only being twice the headache.
blueznl
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by blueznl »

SFSxOI wrote: IF your using Windows 7, and can aford it, i'd go with the SSD. If your using Vista i'd go with the SATA's set up again in Raid 0, especially if your gaming, if your not concerned with mirroring.
Stil using XP :-)
Rook Zimbabwe
Addict
Addict

Post by Rook Zimbabwe »

I would go with one if you are still using XP... If BOTH died then you cannot rebuild can you?

Go with one and remember: BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! 8)

It is a fool that does not hit SAVE early and often!
(and yes that has bit me in the butt as well!) 8)
Binarily speaking... it takes 10 to Tango!!!

http://www.bluemesapc.com/
rsts
Addict
Addict

Post by rsts »

I have an ocz 64GB ssd and would rather have the raptors. IMO the possibly marginal difference in performance is more than offset by the price and "problems" associated with ssd (constant firmware updates, tons of problems - check the forums).

Just my opinion, but I wish I had it to do over.

cheers
codewalker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by codewalker »

:
Buying a new set of system harddisk(s) should include backup harddisks with good backup software
if you do not already have that. Don't just rely on a raid mirror harddisk.
In my case two times a harddisk died short after another. The loss of data was so expensive
and frustrating that I got myself decent backup software : MirrorFolder.
39 dollar is not much for what you get : backing up in realtime also in raid and systemdrive
all in the background with no drop in resources. See what mirrorfolder can do here :
http://www.techsoftpl.com/backup/
cw
There is a difference between knowing the code and writing the code.
May the code be strong in your projects.
case
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by case »

i use it, nice software :) saving my pb folders on three hdd so i'll never lose again my hard work
blueznl
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by blueznl »

No worries about my backups, it's the choice between a Raptor pair vs. SSD single drive that I'm about now :-)
Berikco
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Berikco »

Yes, those raptors all fail after 2 to 3 years.
have a dozen RIP of them here :)
rsts
Addict
Addict

Post by rsts »

Be sure to check the manufacturers forums (if available) and reviews of the product you're considering. ssd's have a limited life span based on number of writes (like flash memory) and need some TLC in order to perform at their stated capabilities. Win 7 includes some "features" that make it easier to maintain them that windows xp does not, so you'll likely have to perform some regular maintenence to achieve anywhere near optimal performance. Not to mention the occasional hangs of up to 10 seconds or so.

Just do due dilence in researching before you dive in and spend a bundle on an ssd :)

cheers
Coolman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Coolman »

1/ KINGSTON Disque Mémoire SSD 2.5'' KINGSTON SSDNow V Series - 64 Go - SATA - Pour Desktop

I got it 98,99 €, after installing windows 7 Premium 64, the boot is very fast ...

2/ WESTERN DIGITAL Disque Dur Interne 3.5'' 1500 Go 32 Mo IntelliPower - SATA II - Bulk - Caviar Green - WD15EADS

i got it 89,79 €

huge storage space
Economic
very affordable price

8)
*** Excuse my bad English, I uses has translating program ***
blueznl
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by blueznl »

Berikco wrote:Yes, those raptors all fail after 2 to 3 years.
have a dozen RIP of them here :)
Well, you should do something about them then, there's a guarantee of five years on them... or at least on the ones I bought thus far.
blueznl
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by blueznl »

rsts wrote:Not to mention the occasional hangs of up to 10 seconds or so. Just do due dilence in researching before you dive in and spend a bundle on an ssd :)
Yeah, saw one or two of those... Dunno' why...

Oh. Yeah. Why I could see them :-)...
blueznl
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by blueznl »

Forgot to mention: yesterday I bought two new drives, 1x Intel X25M G2 and 1x WD Black 1 TB... The SSD is now drive 0, the WD black is drive 1, and drive 2 and 3 are each a 500 GB Seagate (who are destined for future use in a home server, but that's not here yet... yet :-))

Running XP, not Win7. Loading is fast, but I haven't tested enough. I just transplanted my years old Windows XP installation so my tests are probably not very representative...

I picked the X25M as it appears to be the least affected by XP's 63 kb alignment issues. I now have to figure out how to enable trim, all options in Intel's tool are greyed out, I suspect I have to replace the drive 0 NVidia driver with a generic IDE driver...

Anyway, first I'm going to reshuffle all files on this machine, after making a backup, obviously :-)
Thorium
Addict
Addict

Post by Thorium »

rsts wrote:Be sure to check the manufacturers forums (if available) and reviews of the product you're considering. ssd's have a limited life span based on number of writes (like flash memory) and need some TLC in order to perform at their stated capabilities. Win 7 includes some "features" that make it easier to maintain them that windows xp does not, so you'll likely have to perform some regular maintenence to achieve anywhere near optimal performance. Not to mention the occasional hangs of up to 10 seconds or so.

Just do due dilence in researching before you dive in and spend a bundle on an ssd :)
Hm, i dont have any problems with my SSD, it's a 64GB Super Talent with Samsung controller. It's fast as hell and i don't had a single problem with it. I never did a firmware update and it never hangs. The life span of SSD's is very high. It is limited but the manufacturer of my SSD sais it's life span is 180 years if i write 5GB every day to it.