The vanishing act of 32Bit Linux

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
uwekel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The vanishing act of 32Bit Linux

Post by uwekel »

Hi,

i just read this article:
https://itsfoss.com/end-of-32-bit-linux/
Now I wonder how long PureBasic will support 32-bit. Are there plans to drop 32-bit?

Regards
Uwe
PB 5.70 LTS (x64) - Debian Testing, Gnome 3.30.2
Keya
Addict
Addict

Re: The vanishing act of 32Bit Linux

Post by Keya »

uwekel wrote:Are there plans to drop 32-bit?
Hopefully not for a long time because i like maximum ability to target the market. Even though Mac dropped 64bit support there are still 32bit Macs out there, and its great we as PB'ers still have the ability to market software towards them. Drop 32-bit support and we lose ability to target as many desktops as possible. Windows has what 90% market share or something and will continue offering 32bit for it seems at least another decade maybe 2?
walbus
Addict
Addict

Post by walbus »

@uwekel
Firstly it was 8 bit
Then 16 bit
32 bit go the same way
All this above has a high potential for malfunctions , looking as sample failed space missions

64 bit is good, but 128 better ...
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

Until we reach the limit of 64-bit it will be a while. But 32-bit is condamned for sure for desktop, no 32-bit CPU are done anymore (at least on PC side, phone are differents)
walbus
Addict
Addict

Post by walbus »

tj1010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by tj1010 »

Never understood the fear of bigger CPU registers and retiring support.

When was it politically correct to not support 133Mhz, 128MB, and 2GB?

64bit and cores and SIMD are the answer to thermal limitations of higher clocks
The truth hurts.
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

uwekel wrote: Now I wonder how long PureBasic will support 32-bit.
I hope very-very long. I don't see any adequate reasons to use 64bit-only, if it is enough 32 [and this is enough for 99% of all programs].

What can be the point to use 32-bit where it is not necessary? Performance is the same, memory consumption is lower on 32bit, both x64 and x86 compiling easily from same sources on any language, even C with modern compilers, so it's not a big deal to support both.

Do it mostly because it is new monkey-fashion and most coders in 2017 unable to make helloword-level program which works without crashes in 2GB RAM? ^_^
x64 is first of all freedom for memory leaks and poor code as for me [the same as CPU power raising leaded to a lot of extremely slow code, as soon as developers forgot about MHz limits], that's all it's "advantages" in typical case, while breaking compatibility with all was made before and still is in use over all the world.

Really 99% of all software just not needing more than 2GB. Complex games need it, complex soft needs it... and even not always, for example I've recently played "The Incredible Adventures of Van Hellsing", and this one AAA-stuff is still done for 32-bit also and even runs on XP. That's good style, not a thoughtless monkey-fashion.

I don't know what monkeys decided to drop 32-bit on linux and don't want to know, but hope PB will drop 32 only for linux also, if they want so ^^
Because that pseudo-progress is annoying, as it is unreasonable. No practical necessarily to force such changes, just some ppl having too much time and too less brain abilities to waste that time on such "improvements".
"W̷i̷s̷h̷i̷n̷g o̷n a s̷t̷a̷r"
walbus
Addict
Addict

Post by walbus »

@Lunasole
It is simple not clever for using 32 bit in the future
You say it is for 99% OK, so it fails :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-bit