"Cross"-like trees (Does anybody know how that is done?)

Advanced game related topics
J@ckWhiteIII
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"Cross"-like trees (Does anybody know how that is done?)

Post by J@ckWhiteIII »

Hey,
I'm looking for a way to get trees that are kind of 3D (from top view, they look like a + ). I don't think this can be done using a billboard. Maybe it is done using a very thin mesh or...I don't know. But if anybody knows more about this kind of graphics, can he/she help me? I need to know this for a game I'm working on where many trees/plants are needed.

Best picture of what I mean: http://media-mcw.cursecdn.com/thumb/c/c ... r_sind.png
^ Those are PRETTY thin, so I don't know if it's a mesh or something else

Thank you in advance
Shield
Addict
Addict

Re: "Cross"-like trees (Does anybody know how that is done?)

Post by Shield »

Well, it's nothing else than just two squares at a 90° angle with textures.
Now I don't know how this can be done in PB3D, but I guess the simplest approach would be just to create a mesh
with 8 vertices, 4 for each square.

And they are not just pretty thin, they don't actually have a depth at all. :lol:
Blog: Why Does It Suck? (http://whydoesitsuck.com/)
"You can disagree with me as much as you want, but during this talk, by definition, anybody who disagrees is stupid and ugly."
- Linus Torvalds
J@ckWhiteIII
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by J@ckWhiteIII »

Well that's not that hard :D So Ima work on it now ^^ Thanks for the quick reply! :)
J@ckWhiteIII
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by J@ckWhiteIII »

Oh, and another question...How is the meterial created? (Yep, this is a pretty basic question for 3D models). My problem is, that the texture for that plant is pretty...let me call it weird. How do I know where the single parts of the plant need to be placed on the texture?