Where can I get the Book <Programming 2D scrolling games>?

Advanced game related topics
Foz
Addict
Addict

Re: Where can I get the Book <Programming 2D scrolling games

Post by Foz »

I already bought the book, but let me know where and when I can buy the update, and I'll be cashless once more :mrgreen:
electrochrisso
Addict
Addict

Post by electrochrisso »

Foz wrote:I already bought the book, but let me know where and when I can buy the update, and I'll be cashless once more :mrgreen:
Not at the price Krylar will be asking, all you will have to give up is a cappuccino or two. :lol:
PureBasic! Purely one of the best 8)
Krylar
User
User

Post by Krylar »

Another update to let you know that the book has been reformatted and I've finished porting chapters 1 - 8 over to the 4.61 version. I've removed/added things a bit to keep with the times as well. At this point the Aug 26th date is a little dicey for getting through all 23 chapters, but do know that I'm making solid progress. I'd rather take a couple of extra weeks to make sure things are properly covered than to rush through and goof stuff up. :shock:

All the best!
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

Very good progress :mrgreen:
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
MachineCode
Addict
Addict

Post by MachineCode »

Krylar wrote:Another update to let you know that the book has been reformatted and I've finished porting chapters 1 - 8 over to the 4.61 version
Krylar, regarding PureBasic's Wikipedia entry, an editor there (RadioFan) refuses to believe that your book ever existed and was published. See here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:PureBasic . Is there anything you can do, or provide (scans maybe, or perhaps its original ISBN) to prove it to him, so we can mention it in the Wikipedia article again? He keeps editing out its name from the main article. :evil:
Microsoft Visual Basic only lasted 7 short years: 1991 to 1998.
PureBasic: Born in 1998 and still going strong to this very day!
citystate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by citystate »

I think the ISBN was: 1-894752-34-1 (at least according to this post)

if they insist on ISBN13, it should be 9781894752343
there is no sig, only zuul (and the following disclaimer)

WARNING: may be talking out of his hat
Krylar
User
User

Post by Krylar »

MachineCode wrote:
Krylar wrote:Another update to let you know that the book has been reformatted and I've finished porting chapters 1 - 8 over to the 4.61 version
Krylar, regarding PureBasic's Wikipedia entry, an editor there (RadioFan) refuses to believe that your book ever existed and was published. See here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:PureBasic . Is there anything you can do, or provide (scans maybe, or perhaps its original ISBN) to prove it to him, so we can mention it in the Wikipedia article again? He keeps editing out its name from the main article. :evil:
I can scan both sides of the book so that it can be seen, but I think someone already tried that before. Probably the best method would be to get Fred to verify that the book was real. If the creator of PB can't convince RadioFan...who can? :)

Either way, soon there will be a new version of the book out. Then it will be realtime available. That too should prove it exists (and existed).

Thanks!
Zach
Addict
Addict

Post by Zach »

Those wikipedia idiots just can't take a hint. Wikipedia has articles on some of the most useless drivel yet legitimate articles are always under attack from stupid people making stupid claims.
Davy
User
User

Post by Davy »

Looking forward to this. Thanks for updating, Krylar. :)
Krylar
User
User

Post by Krylar »

Hey gang,

I turned over the first 10 chapters to the review squad and have started in on the second half of the book. Unfortunately, I've run into a bit of a snag. My wife's grandmother has taken pretty ill and is not expected to make it much longer. So we are currently traveling and thus I will be losing about a week or so of time.

I will get back at it once things return to normal though. I'm really enjoying this project. It's a lot of fun.

All the best...see you in a week!
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

Hi Krylar

That's great progress.

Hope your visit to grandmother goes well.
IdeasVacuum
electrochrisso
Addict
Addict

Post by electrochrisso »

Thanks for the update Krylar, sorry to hear the news about gran, hope she gets better.
PureBasic! Purely one of the best 8)
Krylar
User
User

Post by Krylar »

Unfortunately, grandma didn't make it. Passed away Monday morning. She was 96, though, so she had a good long life.

Needless to say that this week was a bit of a wash on the book front. We just got home last night. But I'm moving again today on the 2nd half of the book. I've got a pretty tight deadline myself as other projects are due to start in Oct. So I at least need to get all the rewrites/recode stuff done by the end of Sept. Edits may take longer that that, but the bulk of the work has got to be done. ;)

Thanks all!
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

Sorry to hear the news about grandma - 96 years is a wonderful achievement though. She has witnessed some of the most exciting (and horrific) times known to mankind.
IdeasVacuum
Krylar
User
User

Post by Krylar »

Just a quick note to let you all know that the second-half of the book is finished and currently with the editor. With any luck it'll be available within the next couple of weeks!