Why is this area dead?

Advanced game related topics
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

Restored from previous forum. Originally posted by MrVainSCL.
I only told you that most people here want PureBasic for Appz, not that nobody is trying
to make a game. And i told you that PB in its current state isnt good enough for professional games. But it grows...
Sure, PB is most case a language for Appz... some guys try to code games like WaponezII", "LadysGarden" ... I try to code a small amiga remake (i released in 1999) and i really have many problems to code/finish this really very small and easy game project...! I tried to code the same game in BlitzBasic on PC and the main game was finished in about 2 days... no joke! Now i try since some month to code the same game in PureBasic... PureBasic is really a cool and fast language with very small compiled executeable files - but i must really tell you that BlitzBasic (sorry fred) is much better and faster to code games only...!!! Btw, i think BlitzBasic is more stabel as PB!
Anyway, priority for _most_ people here are the Appz at this time. (i´m also interested in games, especially remakes of C64 and Amiga games).
Yes, thats true! Danilo, welcome in the club of old skool games from c64 and amiga :wink:)
Hope i get mangaged to finish my small game until eastern including complete music (maybe AdLib - works only on ISA cards ;((( or some other small module format with player... in just only 32k!) - Danilo you can be patienced to see a amiga remake :wink:)
I think if PB gets some new game commands (like exact Sprite collision etc.) some more
BB users will come here. :)
Yes, the rect based collision is not really nice, escpectly for newbies who want to code a real collision detection! There are a lot to add/fix before PB will became i cool game developer language! Sorry but this is true... I miss tons of game based commands and the long awaited directX support ;((

Btw. i am happy that my game is now nearly finished - When i tried my first PB 2.50 version it was not possible to draw/print on the screen... I am happy that fred fixed this after my mails... :wink:) Happy coding...

PIII450, 256MB Ram, 6GB HD, RivaTNT, DirectX8.1, SB AWE64, Win98SE + Updates...

greetz
MrVainSCL! aka Thorsten
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

Restored from previous forum. Originally posted by fred.
Sure, PB is most case a language for Appz... some guys try to code games like WaponezII", "LadysGarden" ... I try to code a small amiga remake (i released in 1999) and i really have many problems to code/finish this really very small and easy game project...! I tried to code the same game in BlitzBasic on PC and the main game was finished in about 2 days... no joke! Now i try since some month to code the same game in PureBasic... PureBasic is really a cool and fast language with very small compiled executeable files - but i must really tell you that BlitzBasic (sorry fred) is much better and faster to code games only...!!! Btw, i think BlitzBasic is more stabel as PB!
Sure PureBasic had big problem with some game commands but I think it's sorted now. I've myself coded a game engine in PB recently and I couldn't do it faster, even in BB. Do you think if you have to code your game again, starting from now you will still took 1 month ?

Fred - AlphaSND
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

Restored from previous forum. Originally posted by mystik.

When do we get to see your game Fred :)

Steve.
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

Fred wrote:
Sure PureBasic had big problem with some game commands but I think it's sorted now. I've myself coded a game engine in PB recently and I couldn't do it faster, even in BB. Do you think if you have to code your game again, starting from now you will still took 1 month ?
Mhhh... Fred, dont you think that the use of DirectX commands like DrawComamnds, Collision i.e. would be faster, even if you want precalc any textures or direct image manipulation, like zoom, rotate...? I would like to see you game engine... You are not talking about WaponezII?

Yes Fred, you are right... With the actual PB2.90 version i think it would be possible to get my actual game status in less then one month :wink: - I have only to optimize some stuff, precalc some stuff and the main problem what kind of music to include in only 32k??? Midi would be nice but i dont really like it, because on any computer you have another sound ;( - I would like to have a sound that is on every computer the same! I tried to add AdLib music and i founded a special small and good format - but AdLib works only on ISA soundcards ;( Or you have to write you own AdLib SoundEmulator, tzzz :wink: Yesterday a friend/hacker told me i should try to use DX7-WaveTables...!? Never heaed about this... I am not sure if it works for midi too and if the midi would be on every computer the same sound...!? I still wait for his answer... :wink:

greetz
MrVainSCL! aka Thorsten
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

Restored from previous forum. Originally posted by DarkUni.

Sound always costs, unfortunately. A decent MOD is even about 50k, although I've heard smaller ones that are quality.

You're right .. MIDI is no solution - as you said, you'll never hear the same thing twice. And for those of us that don't believe in wasting a lot of cash on hardware wavetable, we hear the nasty, tinny sound that midi offers.

You may consider an mp3, low bitrate, compressed audio loop. You'll have to unpack it to wav at install time, of course, but it would keep your distro size way down. This is what I do for my games vs.Ball and Kablooey Redux. The audio files are about 2.2MB packed down to ~200k.

Good luck!
Yes Fred, you are right... With the actual PB2.90 version i think it would be possible to get my actual game status in less then one month :wink: - I have only to optimize some stuff, precalc some stuff and the main problem what kind of music to include in only 32k??? Midi would be nice but i dont really like it, because on any computer you have another sound ;( - I would like to have a sound that is on every computer the same! I tried to add AdLib music and i founded a special small and good format - but AdLib works only on ISA soundcards ;( Or you have to write you own AdLib SoundEmulator, tzzz :wink: Yesterday a friend/hacker told me i should try to use DX7-WaveTables...!? Never heaed about this... I am not sure if it works for midi too and if the midi would be on every computer the same sound...!? I still wait for his answer...
Shane R. Monroe
Dark Unicorn Productions
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

Restored from previous forum. Originally posted by Leigh.

Shane,

What utility do you use to decompress your MP3s at the time of install? Is it freeware?

Thanks.

Leigh.
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

Sound always costs, unfortunately. A decent MOD is even about 50k, although I've heard smaller ones that are quality.
Mhhhh... you are right... But on amiga i composed some very small chipsounds (protracker) 5 - up to 25 kb ! :wink:) And i think they are quality good for that size... On Amiga was a great Converter/Player P61 to half your mods but have nearly the same quality!
You may consider an mp3, low bitrate, compressed audio loop. You'll have to unpack it to wav at install time, of course, but it would keep your distro size way down. This is what I do for my games vs.Ball and Kablooey Redux. The audio files are about 2.2MB packed down to ~200k.
Mhhh... sorry, we are talkin about a game including graphic, sound, music in only 32k (0,032 MB) - It must be all in one less then 32k! :wink:) Your idea to pack/convert a mp3 is interested but hey... why do you use a mp3 and convert it back to *.wav? You can play mp3 with PB!! I think there are about 5 kb packed for a playerroutine including a tune! AdLib and Midi would fit in this size but i told about the problems ;( Anyway thanks for your help! :wink:

greetz
MrVainSCL! aka Thorsten
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

Its an in-house utility designed specifically for DUP use. I know there are other tools out there, but we needed something designed with specific functionality.

MP3 have pads in the beginning and end of the file (its basically part of the file format - there isn't any way to get rid of it).

So if you have a 30 second loop music, when the mp3 restarts, there is a hiccup - which is completely unacceptable. Converting to wav, chopping off the silence, seems to be the only practical way to use a looping MP3.
Shane,

What utility do you use to decompress your MP3s at the time of install? Is it freeware?

Thanks.

Leigh.
Shane R. Monroe
Dark Unicorn Productions
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

Restored from previous forum. Originally posted by PB.

> I can't locate anything to measure time (i.e. MILLISECS()) I can
> explicitly await time. I probably just missed it.

If your game is for Windows only, you can use the GetTickCount_() API to
measure time. For example, try this:

Code: Select all

timestart=GetTickCount_()
MessageRequester("Info","Close this after a brief pause...",0)
timestop=GetTickCount_()
MessageRequester("Info","You waited "+Str(timestop-timestart)+" milliseconds.",0)

PB - Registered PureBasic Coder
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

Ya, I figured that out.

Still, would sure be nice to have it native to the language. You need timers in EVERY platform for writing games - hence it makes sense to remove it from the API call and plot it into the language.

Shane R. Monroe
Dark Unicorn Productions