5.22LTS & 5.44LTS are there access privilege differences

Linux specific forum
Baldrick
Addict
Addict

5.22LTS & 5.44LTS are there access privilege differences

Post by Baldrick »

As the topic says, I am a little confused as to why I need "su" privileges to access a serial port on /dev/ttyUSB0 with my machine running PB 5.44LTS, but on my other machine running 5.22LTS I can access the serial device no problem at all from my normal user (administrator) priveleges.
Both machines are using Ubuntu 16.04LTS with all the latest updates, so should be the same in that regard.
So my question is really, is this maybe a problem with my machine? or has something been changed in PB5.44LTS for things to now be working this way?

I know it has just caused all manner of grief with me when I decided to run PB using the "gksu" command. Next time I started using "sudo" my whole PB would crash everytime i tried to type in the word "Procedure".... & I was unable to save anything as my normal user. Eventually found the gksu had changed things, added a bunch of stuff in my root directory & locked everything to root. After finding it all & resetting, all seems ok for now.

Would be good to know what might be the cause of this issue though as I do believe I should not need root privilege to access a simple serial device.