What distro is the easiest for PureBasic setup?

Linux specific forum
mocitymm
User
User

What distro is the easiest for PureBasic setup?

Post by mocitymm »

My personal distro favorite is CentOS but, having a hella time getting PureBasic to function, even after loading library after library, etc, etc...
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Re: What distro is the easiest for PureBasic setup?

Post by DarkDragon »

I use ArchLinux and Gnome. Gnome took a while to get used to after I migrated from Windows, but now I have no problems with any software anymore.
bye,
Daniel
mocitymm
User
User

Post by mocitymm »

I will have to give that one try, thank you for the input.

I can get PureBasic applications/dialogs to show but, everything within the forms... all blacked out.

The transition was something to get used as well for me but, that was a few years ago. I still use both.
Keya
Addict
Addict

Post by Keya »

never really had any problems with PB on Linux Mint
fsw
Addict
Addict

Post by fsw »

The newer versions of PureBasic use GTK3 automatically.
CentOS is a stable OS that utilizes very old libraries.
(old but stable :mrgreen: )

Did you try to force PureBasic to use GTK2?
Go to the menu:
"Compiler -> Compiler Options -> Library Subsystem"
type GTK2 into the field.
This forces PureBasic to use GTK2.

Maybe this solves your problem.

I am to provide the public with beneficial shocks.
Alfred Hitshock
Erlend
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Erlend »

Like DarkDragon I would urge you to try ArchLinux, in case you find the installation awkward try Arch Anywhere distro.
It is just a installation script for Arch that makes installing Arch a hell of a lot easier for beginners :-)

Anyways as far as Purebasic go just select te dev option in Arch anywhere and you should be good to go :-)

Regards
Erlend
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

Well yesterday I've installed linux for first time on virtual machine. I've selected Ubuntu, which should be the most popular desktop distributive, except those used on servers.

As soon as I launched that one-button fancy&fashion installer, I've got sick of it's requirements - 8GB of HDD space minimum, pff. Even my Windows 7 Ultimate with all necessary updates, lot of SDK and .NET runtimes + some soft on system drive takes only 6GB, not mentioning XP which takes less than 2 GB in full pack.
I also thought that Linux Mint would be nicely done, but according to docs it requires at least 9GB (!).

Of course I won't give more than 5GB virtual disk image, because it's ridiculous that modern linux is such a bloated piece of byteshit. So then I looked for Ubuntu minimal package, which at least has installer with more options/customization [and also completely binded to ubuntu servers, which can't be good], so that allowed to install it nicely.

Hovewer for now I didn't continued to try PB on it (only logined once to OS with ROOT access, without even desktop installed), maybe will go further sometime else when will have such a wish ^_^
Just curious for that "sometime", has someone using PB on that Ubuntu 16.10? Will it be OK "out of a box", or some known problems expected?
"W̷i̷s̷h̷i̷n̷g o̷n a s̷t̷a̷r"
hujambo
User
User

Post by hujambo »

Hi mocitymm, I've used Purebasic on Centos 7 and had exactly the same problems - just when you think you've got it sorted you add a function to your code and get another linker error because some package or other is not quite right or missing. I'm guessing it's all down to experience and although I'm not new to Linux, I am new to programming for Linux - previously Windows only apps :). Now I'm using PB on Mint and I have to say it's a lot lot easier to setup. I'm still growling quite a lot trying to get the whole cross-platform thing working - but getting there. CompilerSelect is my friend!
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

Lunasole wrote:Well yesterday I've installed linux for first time on virtual machine. I've selected Ubuntu, which should be the most popular desktop distributive, except those used on servers.
As I said before, I'll never touch Ubuntu and most of the other Debian based distributions anymore. Ubuntu is the most popular, but the reasons are invalid.
Lunasole wrote:As soon as I launched that one-button fancy&fashion installer, I've got sick of it's requirements - 8GB of HDD space minimum, pff. Even my Windows 7 Ultimate with all necessary updates, lot of SDK and .NET runtimes + some soft on system drive takes only 6GB, not mentioning XP which takes less than 2 GB in full pack.
I also thought that Linux Mint would be nicely done, but according to docs it requires at least 9GB (!).
Windows 10 has 32GB minimum requirements! Also choose wisely what you install, with Linux you have many more choices. On Windows many users click next, next, next, finish and wonder why they installed ask toolbar. Get used to decide yourself what you install! Arch Linux is damn small and you install and configure basically EVERYTHING yourself.
bye,
Daniel
tj1010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by tj1010 »

You're going to be fixing dependencies no matter the distro, then you get to deal with GTK3 issues.. Mostly finding new repos because apt-get install fails to download and working around GUI bugs.

I just put 5.60 on the latest xubuntu and was reminded of this.. You stand less chance to hit 404 and such by using US based repository/PPA.
The truth hurts.