LAN testing needed [solved] Happy New Year!!!

Linux specific forum
heartbone
Addict
Addict

LAN testing needed [solved] Happy New Year!!!

Post by heartbone »

Would someone who has two networked computers, with at least one running Linux, please test the NetworkClient.pb and NetworkServer.pb demo codes found in the PureBasic/Examples/Sources folder?
Before compiling you'll need to change the IP in the NetworkClient.pb source to match the LAN address of the server.
Using the existing 127.0.0.1 testing loopback address in the example works fine in Linux, but using that address means that the networked communication does not visit the router.

The problem for me is that I can not get any client to connect to a Linux server created with the example code.
The same problem exists in both x86 and x64.
However both the Linux client and Windows® client connect to the server running in Windows® just fine.
It could be that my router has more serious issues than I thought, then again it could be a misunderstanding.

I am also experiencing other weird problems like not being able to connect to the (Windows®) server on certain combinations of machines when the server is running from the IDE, however with the same combination of machines, running a server .exe built from the same code will connect fine.
Again I'm thinking my router may be more flaky than I thought.

If others can get a client to connect to a Linux server created from the example code, then I know for sure that I need a new router.
Last edited by heartbone on Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep it BASIC.
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Re: LAN testing needed

Post by IdeasVacuum »

then I know for sure that I need a new router.
....or that a router setting needs to be tweaked :)
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
fsw
Addict
Addict

Post by fsw »

My server runs Arch Linux and my laptop runs ManjaroBox.

Compiled the PureBasic NetworkServer app on the server and the NetworkClient app on the laptop.
(Changed the server address inside the client to match the server's address)

Ran the NetworkServer app on the server and the NetworkClient app on the laptop.
The client found the server instantly and the server responded as well.

Both (server and laptop) are connected over WiFi.
The router is from netgear and is running for years without any problems.

Hope this information helps somewhat...

I am to provide the public with beneficial shocks.
Alfred Hitshock
heartbone
Addict
Addict

Post by heartbone »

fsw wrote:My server runs Arch Linux and my laptop runs ManjaroBox.

Compiled the PureBasic NetworkServer app on the server and the NetworkClient app on the laptop.
(Changed the server address inside the client to match the server's address)

Ran the NetworkServer app on the server and the NetworkClient app on the laptop.
The client found the server instantly and the server responded as well.

Both (server and laptop) are connected over WiFi.
The router is from netgear and is running for years without any problems.

Hope this information helps somewhat...
It helps a lot.
Yes, I'll eventually have to find some money that I don't have to spend on something that otherwise works fine, but now I know where the problem is and I will work around it.
Thanks for taking the time to help me fsw.
The information is encouraging.

As an aside I am henceforth staying away from those Tenda routers.
They are cheap in price and apparently quality.
This is the second one that has gone bad on me in the past few years.
At least (for now) I have a seemingly reliable network relationship between my XP desktop and Vista laptop and I can continue my work.
Keep it BASIC.
fsw
Addict
Addict

Post by fsw »

You are welcome.

In regards to routers:
Had a Linksys (54G something) but had it only 21 days because the reception was intermittend. (gave it back to Bestbuy)
Opted for a top of the line Netgear router and was very happy with the performance.
After several years I bought a new computer that had faster WiFi so I bought a faster router to enjoy the speed. (otherwise I would have kept the old one...)
Again, I opted for a top of the line Netgear router and was not disappointed.
Have it now for over 3 years and had no issues so far.

Lesson learned: as long I can pay for it, a top of the line Netgear router it is.
At least for me.
:mrgreen:

Alfred Hitshock
heartbone
Addict
Addict

Post by heartbone »

fsw, I've learned that it's not my router causing the problem! :)
Perhaps my cheap Tenda is OK after all.
I've created a two computer routerless network
and I still can not connect any client created by the Fantaisie Software supplied example NetworkClient.pb
to a Linux server created by the Fantaisie Software supplied NetworkServer.pb code.

fsw, what version of the PB compiler did you use?
I've tried both 5.22 & 5.31 versions, running in both x86 & x64 architectures.

On all my systems the Windows® server and client work as advertised.
The Linux client also works properly.
Unfortunately the UBUNTU Linux server can never be connected to.
I've been testing using UBUNTU 13.10 & 13.04.
Are there any UBUNTU users willing to test this?
Keep it BASIC.
heartbone
Addict
Addict

Post by heartbone »

I tracked down the problem.
I loaded Zorin 8 x64 into the laptop from the live CD, and the Linux server works as advertised! :D
Looks like I have to switch to Zorin for development and testing because PB networking isn't working in UBUNTU. :oops:
I'm changing over my laptop immediately, no problem.
Changing over my desktop will be painful, and I may not do it for a while. :(
Thanks again fsw for giving me the information necessary to track this situation down.
Keep it BASIC.
heartbone
Addict
Addict

Post by heartbone »

I have been wondering why Zorin was allowing the server software to operate while UBUNTU did not.
Working with Zorin these past few days configuring it to the way that I like things to be, was very easy for me, it being an UBUNTU variant.
I finally got things setup well into my comfort zone, and it seemed like it would be a nice environment for development.
Then I discovered that Zorin is truly not much different from UBUNTU,
because after the Zorin OS gets installed, the exact same inability to host a session is revealed!
Then I rebooted back into the Zorin 9.1 LiveCD...... and the PB networking works as advertised.
A big WTF.

I just booted into Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" - MATE from another LiveCD I've had a few months.
This OS won't be as familiar, I can't find where to change the network adapter address or even the version number of the OS (the .iso had 17), however it sure looks a lot like UBUNTU.
And I probably need to grab a Linux Mint Debian Edition because of the UBUNTU base..
Cinnamon or MATE ?
I don't have a clue.
Wish me luck.
Keep it BASIC.
fsw
Addict
Addict

Post by fsw »

Sorry to hear that it's your Linux install.
Don't think that I'm of much help here.
I left the Ubuntu/Debian breed a long time ago.
Arch is more to my liking.
IMHO the pacman package manager is the best of all.
Because I'm not an arch expert I've used the Evolution installer.
While using arch the cli is your best friend, therefore it's not as convenient as Ubuntu or Fedora.
However because it's plain Linux: everything I touched so far works as expected.

Alfred Hitshock
heartbone
Addict
Addict

Post by heartbone »

:)
I'm becoming more expert each day, and I do grok your perspective fsw.
Had I been actually using Linux since the early days of 1997 or 8 when I first installed Redhat 5.2, I'd probably be right there with you.
But being naturally quite lazy, I'm not inclined at this point to learn what's behind the various GUIs, I just want to perform the task at hand with the least effort on my part.
However you are totally correct in leaning towards using the most pure and uncluttered Linux environment that one can be comfortable with.

I know that long term I will not want to use two diferent brands of Linux on a daily basis, and will tend to stick with one distribution. Sadly it won't be UBUNTU, as much as I ABSOLUTELY LOVE UNITY, and will miss it very much in MINT. Intuitively supporting a multitasking multiwindowed environment, UNITY is the best main OS GUI/menu system there ever was (that I know about). It's a shame it garnered so much hate from those who were already comfortable with their previous Linux interface flavor.

Anyhow, I can now close this case, because Linux Mint 17.1 “Rebecca” Cinnamon (that sure sounds like a hooker to me) is now on the job.
Keep it BASIC.
heartbone
Addict
Addict

Re: LAN testing needed [solved] Happy New Year!!!

Post by heartbone »

A little voice in my head told me to recheck my gufw settings.
I just discovered that I do not know how to configure it properly, because when I shut it down, I can suddenly host network sessions using UBUNTU!
It was getting real irksome my not being able to run and debug server software from my workstation's desktop.
UBUNTU rocks.
Keep it BASIC.