Reprinted Dräc’s tutorial «PureBasic and OOP»

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
Tristano
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Reprinted Dräc’s tutorial «PureBasic and OOP»

Post by Tristano »

UPDATES:
  • 2016/12/06 — French version now also available.
  • 2016/12/04 — Added link to download tutorial without Git.
I'm glad to announce that I've just republished Dräc’s tutorial «PureBasic and Object-Oriented Programming» (aka OOP demystified):
The English text and the document formatting were a bit polished and revived.

This long tutorials shows, step by step, how to implement the OOP paradigm in PureBASIC. Two approaches to OOP implementation are presented, in order of complexity, with detailed explanations and in-document code examples. Along with the tutorial are provided the fully functional source codes of the two OOP implementations, along with a *.pbi OOP resource reusable in other projects.

Reprint And Changes

This is a reprint of «Dräc»’s multi-part tutorial PureBasic and the Object-Oriented Programming (French title: PureBasic et la Programmation Orientée Objet) also knwon as the OOP demystified, published in 2005 on drac.site.chez-alice.fr:
It was reprinted with explicit permission of the author, who released the tutorial text and source codes under Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) in response to the permission request to reproduce it inside the PureBASIC Archives.

The tutorial was ported from HTML to AsciiDoc by Tristano Ajmone, who also polsihed the English text — introducing slight adjustments in line with the tutorial aims (using the original French tutorial as a reference) — and made minor changes to code examples (either aesthetic or to ensure compatibility with latest version of PureBASIC).
Last edited by Tristano on Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The PureBASIC Archives: FOSS Resources:
jack
Addict
Addict

Re: Reprinted Dräc’s tutorial «PureBasic and OOP»

Post by jack »

thank you Tristano :)
Blue
Addict
Addict

Post by Blue »

Thank you for this interesting subject , Tristano.
I'm interested in reading this.
But how do I download the updated tutorial ?
Following the link above takes me to your GitHub page, but i can't find a link to your updated version.
"That's not a bug..." said the programmer. "it's a feature! "
"Oh! I see..." replied the blind man.
Tristano
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Tristano »

Hi @Blue,
Blue wrote: I'm interested in reading this.
But how do I download the updated tutorial ?
Following the link above takes me to your GitHub page, but i can't find a link to your updated version.
the GitHub link above is correct, but what you see there are only the raw folders and files. As explained at the end, you can download the whole project in a zip file (it's small in size).

the tutorial is reprinted in AsciiDoc (source), and then compiled to html. You can see the (raw) html file here:

https://github.com/tajmone/purebasic-ar ... ified.html
but being raw you actually only see the html source code.

The AsciiDoc version, instead, is previewable on GitHub (but with vary basic CSS styling):

https://github.com/tajmone/purebasic-ar ... d.asciidoc

which gives you a ruff idea of how it looks like.

The idea of the project is that users should download it as a whole package, either using Git or by downloading it as a zip file:

https://github.com/tajmone/purebasic-ar ... master.zip

When you unpack on your harddisk this zip file, you can then go inside the "/tutorials/oop/drac/en/" folder and double click on the html file "OOP-Demystified.html", which you can then see in your browser, with CSS styles and syntax highlighting. And you also find the PB source codes, ecc.

[EDITED:] As for the French version of the tutorial, because its still under developement you can only see it in the "dev-tutorials" branch.
You can preview it here:

https://github.com/tajmone/purebasic-ar ... op/drac/fr

But it won't be downloaded with the ZIP file of the above link — if you want a Zipped copy of the "dev-tutorials" branch use this link instead.
By next Sunday it should be ready and included in the main branch (master), and it will then also be downloaded via the main zip link. I've still got 3 small chapters to go.
Last edited by Tristano on Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tristano
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Tristano »

CORRECTION: I was wrong, you can actually download the dev-tutorials branch as a Zip archive!

Here is the direct link:
This version of the Zip archive will also contain Dräc’s French version of «PureBasic and OOP» tutorial (still WIP though).

Thanks for bring up the issue @Blue, I had overlooked the issue. Now I'm updating the repo and adding links to the HTML preview of the tutorial (as I did on this post), and also add quick links on the top of the main repo page to download Zipped copies, and a few notes on the html source/preview issue.