Hive (Home InVEntory) program.

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Hive (Home InVEntory) program.

Post by Fangbeast »

http://members.westnet.com.au/bangfeast/Files/Hive.7z

I've had this functionality in my Multibase program for years and even made a home inventory program years ago but it was basic. This one is nicer (for me at any rate).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Information
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What: Simple Home Inventory utility. Much better than the one I wrote years ago.

License: Free. Can't ever be sold or distributed, just given away.

Thanks: Netmaestro for hover code and snap-to callback, Srod combobox formatting, netmaestro / Srod for the keyboard shortcut code, lots of others, Jumbuck for many hours of testing and good suggestions. (You can't buy help that good!!)

Usage: Drop it into a directory into which you have read and write access and run it. It will create directories and files as needed.

Bugs: Probably!!!! Lots!! Maybe!!! I've tried to make everything modular but some changes still require a lot of work and investigation so make suggestions and give me time. Due to health reasons, I don't want to spend days at a time sitting here.

Suggestions: Keep them clean:):)

Notes: The fading effects, borders of objects (or lack thereof) will work differently according to the operating system you use and if themes are turned on or off. This is still something that I am struggling with and will take a lot of time to solve.

I am not going to write a full help file just yet, the doctor won't let me sit for long periods of time. The program is easy enough to use and discover.

--------------------
Files
--------------------

Backup the database to a named day of the week. Backups are rotated weekly.
Show quick database statistics.
Dump all database tables to XML files. I find it useful to backup to and restore from.
Open someone else's Hive database to work with.
Switch between normal and deleted list items (Currently deprecated)
Vacuum wasted space from the database.
Exit the program.

--------------------
Mode
--------------------

Add a new mode item (Location, Category or owner)
Delete the selected mode item. (Location, Category or owner)
Edit the selected mode item. (Location, Category or owner)
Change between modes. (Location, Category or owner)

--------------------
Data
--------------------

Add a new inventory record.
Copy selected inventory records to the system clipboard.
Delete selected inventory records.
Edit the currentlys elected inventory record.
List any attachments for the current inventory record.
Tag all records in the inventory item list.

--------------------
Utilities
--------------------

Export all selected records to disk. Similar to dump but only for items table).
Print all selected items using the web control (IE or Mozilla).
Recover the record marked as deleted.

--------------------
Setup
--------------------

Fade forms in and out (This has different effects on Windows XP and Windows 7 if enabled)
Turn record save messages on or off.
Snap forms to screen borders.
Show the current time on the title bar.
TUrn form and button tooltips on or off.

--------------------
Help
--------------------

About this program.
Show the program help file (if any)
Change the keyboard shortcuts.

--------------------
Exit
--------------------

Exit this program immediately, without warning. No data is lost.

Navigating the location bar.

This bar has three main states. Locations (Rooms) mode, Categories and Owners. All functions are
available from the "Mode" button on the top of the form, a right click menu of the mouse within the
bar, the control buttons underneath it and keyboard shortcuts.

Changing between them will load all the records for the selected state and then show the details for
the first record in that list, if any.

By default, All Items are displayed for a location bar state when changed. You can also select a
state where the record is empty for that state or marked as deleted.

For instance: If the location bar is showing "Locations" and you click on "Empty Items", any items
that do not have a location (Room) in their data are displayed.

Of course, this should never happen if I have coded Hive correctly and the application shouldn't
allow you to save a record without a location.

Navigating the item list bar.

This bar has a single function, to display records.

You may add records to it, copy selected record data to the system clipboard, delete records from it
(Only marked as deleted), edit selected records and list any attachments for the currently selected
record.

A record marked as deleted (Strike through font) cannot be copied, edited or printed until it is
recovered. Recovering a record is as simple as selecting it and then using the recovery menu function
from the Utilities menu (or one of the other methods. The strikethrough is then removed to indicate this.

As with the location bar, all functions are available from the "Mode" button on the top of the form,
a right click menu of the mouse within the bar, the control buttons underneath it and keyboard shortcuts.

Navigating Drag And Drop

If you consider an item belonging to the wrong Location, Category or Owner, while the location bar
is in the correct display mode, select the offending record, keep the left mouse button help down
and drag the record from the Item List bar and drop it onto the correct Location, Category or Owner
that you want it in.

The record data will be changed and saved, the display will change to the new Location, Category or Owner and that Location, Category or Owner refreshed to show the new record in there.

Navigating the search bar.

The searchbar has two functions as well as always displaying the current location bar mode that you are in and the currentlys elected item in the item list.

One is to select the type of SQL search that you want to peform within the string you will search (At this moment, only the item name is searched, no other field), and the search box where you start typing and instant results are reflected in the list. A "Drill-down" approach, this is the one that I prefer.

Of course, money can always persuade me otherwise (grin).

The SQL search type look like this:

Equal to = ' + SearchString + '
Does not equal <> ' + SearchString + '
Greater than > ' + SearchString + '
Greater than or equal to >= ' + SearchString + '
Less than < ' + SearchString + '
Less than or equal to <= ' + SearchString + '
Starts with LIKE ' + SearchString + %'
Ends with LIKE '% + SearchString + '
Sounds like LIKE '% + SearchString + %'

Navigating the Main Details area

This area will always show some very basic information about the record that is currently selected
in the item list bar. You cannot edit anything in there.

However, if you double left click the photograph area, you can change or add a photograph to the record.

Navigating the Main Details control bar

Photo button will allow you to you change or add a photograph to the record as above.

Receipt button will allow you to find and link a receipt file to the current record. There is no
limit to the number of Receipts that you may link in this fashion and all files are copied to the
Attachments directory so that the originals are undisturbed.

Warranty button will allow you to find and link a Warranty file to the current record. There is no
limit to the number of Warranties that you may link in this fashion and all files are copied to the
Attachments directory so that the originals are undisturbed.

Note button will allow you to launch a simple note editor to add or change the note for the current record instead of having to launch the full record editor form.

File button will allow you to find and link a file to the current record. There is no limit to the number of files that you may link in this fashion and all files are copied to the Attachments directory so that the originals are undisturbed. The usual idea is for people to link drivers to computer items in the database for ease of use.

The Copy, Delete and Edit buttons mirror the same functions available from the data menu.

Navigating the totals bar

Nothing for the token human to do here but watch the total value of items in the list to be displayed and get scared at how much they spent.

Currently, only the actual total cost of the items is counted and not tax, resale etc. That may change at a later date.

Navigating status bar

Once again, nothing for the token human to do here.

If I have coded this thing right, normal status messages will be shown in black and error messages will be shown in red.

As I remember them, error messages will be added, deleted or fixed to make sense.
Last edited by Fangbeast on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Amateur Radio, D-STAR/VK3HAF
X
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Hive (Home InVEntory) program. For bees who need to know

Post by X »

broken links
TomS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by TomS »

The download works fine.
Last edited by TomS on Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

The download works fine.
Yes, it does. But a lot of browsers still don't like literal spaces in a filename so I have altered the filenames to replace the spaces with an underscore.

And some people don't know how to copy and paste full url's when clicking on a link fails. It's frustrating.

I'd prefer for people to go to Andre's PureArea pages to get the file and screenshots (Which link to my web site anyway) so that I don't have to maintain multiple sets of links. I haven't even updated my own web page with Hive as I'm too tired.

You only get 20 meg of space for your web pages and a piddling 100 meg of traffic a month.
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Re: Hive (Home InVEntory) program.

Post by Fangbeast »

0.01b 22/07/2011

Added As each item is selected, attachment count is listed with item in the status bar.

Added Proper currency handlers for currency fields. These are double checked.

Changed Attachment window only opens if there are attachments for that record.

Changed Help file updated everywhere.

NOTE:

There has been a tremendous amount of work under the hood for the simple changes mentioned above so please, please read the help file from top to bottom, even if it is a little disorganised (I try my best).
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

Added Item name in list changes colour to green to indicate that it has attachments.
Added Attachments counters are updated on add and delete.
Added Attachments are physically deleted when their record is removed.
Added More sanity checks to statements to prevent strange crashes.
Added Extra parameters to error log writer to pass literal SQLite database error when needed for the programmer to read.

Changed The way string data is displayed has now saved a few kilobytes of space.
Changed Merged the error log writer with the statusbar writer. Saves time and space.
Changed De-abstracted database queries to save space.Still readable code.

Fixed Some leftover commands sat behind the wrong database statements.
Fixed Brackets in statements that prevented proper data being saved.
Fixed Lots of little syntax errors and case corrections.

Removed Five redundant procedures to save space and memory.

Updated Help file updated everywhere

Note Some statusbar messages may overwrite others at non critical junctures when there is a lot of program activity.

Link in first post as usual.
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

0.03b 26/07/2011

Added Instead of a monolithic attachments dir, there are separate Receipts, Warranties and Files directories.
Added Link picture menu option to context menu from main form picture as well as the other existing methods.
Added Clear picture option from main form to context menu on picture (also deletes it).
Added Copy picture option to context menu from main form picture.
Added View picture in full screen from main form picture.
Added Shortcut keys, menu options to picture context menu on main form.

Changed Receipts, Warranties, Files and Photos are all organised under the base attachments directory.
Changed If a record is marked deleted, main form fields are blanked.
Changed If a record is recovered, redisplay record data on main form.
Changed When adding a new record, go to the last line of the display when saved.
Changed Re-highlight and display the new or old record details on the main form after save.
Changed Clear all data on main form prior to marking deletions.
Changed Print module has an extra shaded portion showing report date and totals for cost, tax, delivery and overall tax.

Fixed Some syntax errors and spelling mistakes.
Fixed Three procedure were either adding cost only, cost and tax, cost tax or delivery.
Fixed Several wrongly formatted fields in the record printer.

Removed Deleted three more redundant procedures and combined others.
Removed Unused columns removed from queries. Saves on memory.

Note new help file to follow, lots of work to do on it.

Link is in the first post as usual.
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

0.04b 07/08/2011

Added Borrowers type to the mode bar. (It's not a full borrower's module, just a list).
Added The last mode used on the mode bar is saved and restored on startup.
Added Normal file icon, attachment icon, deleted file icon to the item list.
Added Full icon and empty icon to the mode bar. Main 3 categories don't have one of course.
Added Icons in item list change according to status (attachments, deleted, normal).
Added Logic added to ensure icons change according to when they are deleted, recovered or attached to in the item list.
Added Location, category, owner and borrower table maintenance at program end.
Added When add or edit record, mode icon is updated in mode list to reflect if items exist for it.

Changed Tooltips now have the same font as the rest of the form. Much better!
Changed Icons in the icon list are greyscale colour to match the program theme.
Changed More lines of redundant code removed.
Changed All child windows are modal to prevent accidental input to the main form when they are opened.
Changed When listing items, only those not marked as deleted are added up for currency totals.
Changed The print template form was cleaned up a bit. Too much loose space between elements.

Fixed Wording (syntax) on the totals bar takes into account plurals. Eg. Item or Items.
Fixed Attachment saver routine wasn't detecting correct directory to save to.
Fixed Attachment counter in hive records is now a flag and not a counter. Don't need to count here.
Fixed The flickering is hopefully greatly reduced on item and mode bar reload.

Removed Alternate row colouring in the item list as it looks terrible with icons in the list and the colouring doesn't extend under the icons.

Link in first post
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

is anyone using this program at all? if not, I'll consider it finished and move on to something else.

Lots of bug filled projects to fix on my hard drive (ROFLMAO)

Just about finished another side project that used to be part of my ancient Multibase project, something that tracks devices and the batteries in them. Nothing spectacular but it was meant to be a test module for Hive and ended up with a life of its' own (groan, why do I do this to myself???)
electrochrisso
Addict
Addict

Post by electrochrisso »

Been meaning to test it out one day Fang, but like what happens when I use inventory programs, I enter in a dozen items, get bored and think I have a hundred or two to go, and give up.
Anyway if I managed to get all the items entered, the value of them would have dropped to a throw away value. :lol:
PureBasic! Purely one of the best 8)
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

Fangbeast, the Purearea.net Showcase doesn't actually explain what Hive is for. I'm sure if it did, there would be more downloads.
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

electrochrisso wrote:Been meaning to test it out one day Fang, but like what happens when I use inventory programs, I enter in a dozen items, get bored and think I have a hundred or two to go, and give up.
Anyway if I managed to get all the items entered, the value of them would have dropped to a throw away value. :lol:
You made me laugh a lot at that observation. My problem has always been that i wrote the software to help the family out and for the insurers not to have to go thought he paperwork and charge us a fortune and my wife said it was a good idea.

But, can I get her to help me enter in all the details?? Never!!

I can't code the app and do all the data entry damn it, I wonder how much our junk isn't worth any more.
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

IdeasVacuum wrote:Fangbeast, the Purearea.net Showcase doesn't actually explain what Hive is for. I'm sure if it did, there would be more downloads.
I haven't updated purearea for ages because of being in hospital. Having to do it here, purearea and my own site was too much work for my current health.

Now I just update Hive details here and it says in the very first post (and it will probably make a liar out of me) Home InVEntory (note the capitals that explain the concatenation).

Got loads of updated and buggy junk to fix so was hoping to move on :):):):) (Like my welfare client manager, amateur logbook...the list is endless..Huge grooooaaan)

**EDIT** I just Checked Purearea and found "
What: Simple Home Inventory utility". Much better than the one I wrote years ago" halfway down, under the updates. Should have left it at the top. Anyway, that one is outdated but I'm not string enough for a whirlwind update tour yet.
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

Hive (and all my other programs) have been re-uploaded to my westnet web pages. Had to remove all traces of my old trading name, update help files, fix bugs etc.

Don't have time to worry about updating purearea or make screenshots, too many doctors and other appointments now and int he future, so this will have o do.

Use it, or not.
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

All my other little programs are back on my site now.

That includes my new little personal DocMan document manager. I can actually find things again!!