Sending mail (SMTP)

Just starting out? Need help? Post your questions and find answers here.
swan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sending mail (SMTP)

Post by swan »

Hi guys - I have a project that's having difficulty sending emails, moreso via a particular ISP. Of course it's the clients ISP. This ISP seems to be blocking all mail ports, 25/465/587 etc. And yet mail clients work fine on those machines.
On development it always works because I'm on a different ISP.
I'm curious if anyone else has encountered this and found a solution. I'm chasing a coding solution over an external SMTP service.
Thanx ....
infratec
Always Here
Always Here

Re: Sending mail (SMTP)

Post by infratec »

The client have to inform you which port is used.
Without knowing the port ...

If you know the port, then you can start to investigate this problem.
swan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by swan »

Hi, ISP has admitted to blocking known SMTP ports "from unsafe sources". So my PB code on sending mail gets blocked, according to them as an unsafe source.
Anyway, I may have found a solution - as luck would have it that project uses a remote MS SQL Server which has a function of sending mail. So I'll create a stored procedure and access via PB code. Initial tests at the server work great, just have to turn it into code.
Cheers ....
captain_skank
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by captain_skank »

This may sound odd - but try compiling with PB ver 5.30 and see if it works.

I have to use that version for my own sendmail program as that is the only version that will allow sending via our hosted exchange server - all later versions fail to work even though it's the same code :)
swan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by swan »

Interesting - I originally developed that project on V5.31 and sendmail was working fine, only because we were operating our own mail server at the time and could nominate non-standard port numbers to relay through (we used port 2525). But since then we've dropped the mail server and thats when we found port 25 was blocked. So we updated to PB V5.41 LTS so we could use SSL (port 587), in particular relay through Gmail. Still no cigar though.
My ISP here blocks port 25 but none of the other standard SMTP ports. But the clients ISP blocks all standard SMTP ports.
I'll try V 5.30 out of interest though, but don't know if I'd want to go back to that version for that project.
Cheers ....