Calling exported string functions - PB 4.2 beta 2

Just starting out? Need help? Post your questions and find answers here.
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

srod wrote:Can I ask why PB passes an extra parameter when calling compiled user lib functions?
PB could need to reuse this parameter value, after the function call. Before VC8, the parameter value was never changed by the called function (as it was pushed on the stack which is not in the function scope), so we could use a trick to get it back if needed. With VC8, this trick didn't work anymore (the function can modify the user-parameter stack), so we have to duplicate the push, to be able to get it back if needed.
Mistrel
Addict
Addict

Post by Mistrel »

Is there an inconsistency somewhere that prevents us from calling an exported function that returns a string from within the same library? I'm assuming that the ASM output is different between a Procedure and ProcedureDLL.

Would it be possible to keep the ASM the same so that we can call these functions again with TailBite?
Mistrel
Addict
Addict

Post by Mistrel »

Removed by Mistrel. (I fixed the problem)
Last edited by Mistrel on Fri May 30, 2008 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
srod
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by srod »

Fred wrote:
srod wrote:Can I ask why PB passes an extra parameter when calling compiled user lib functions?
PB could need to reuse this parameter value, after the function call. Before VC8, the parameter value was never changed by the called function (as it was pushed on the stack which is not in the function scope), so we could use a trick to get it back if needed. With VC8, this trick didn't work anymore (the function can modify the user-parameter stack), so we have to duplicate the push, to be able to get it back if needed.
I see. Must admit that I have no experience with VC and so can't imagine why functions would modify the parameter stack? Still, mine is not to wonder why! :) Thanks.
I may look like a mule, but I'm not a complete ass.
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

Mistrel wrote:Is there an inconsistency somewhere that prevents us from calling an exported function that returns a string from within the same library? I'm assuming that the ASM output is different between a Procedure and ProcedureDLL.

Would it be possible to keep the ASM the same so that we can call these functions again with TailBite?
Actually, there could be a solution on the compiler side. TailBaite creates pblibraries with the 'ASM' flags (in the .desc), right ?
srod
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by srod »

Fred wrote:
Mistrel wrote:Is there an inconsistency somewhere that prevents us from calling an exported function that returns a string from within the same library? I'm assuming that the ASM output is different between a Procedure and ProcedureDLL.

Actually, there could be a solution on the compiler side. TailBaite creates pblibraries with the 'ASM' flags (in the .desc), right ?
Yes, that is correct.

Now, if you're saying that you may be able to adjust the compiler then I'm glad I halted my ammendments to coffIT! Foresight or what? :)
I may look like a mule, but I'm not a complete ass.
Droopy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Calling exported string functions - PB 4.2 beta 2

Post by Droopy »

Hello, an asm guru can look @ this to fix this bug ?
Progi1984
Addict
Addict

Re: Calling exported string functions - PB 4.2 beta 2

Post by Progi1984 »

Some news Droopy ?