ChartDirector - Professional charts for PB

Share your advanced PureBasic knowledge/code with the community.
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Re: ChartDirector - Professional charts for PB

Post by IdeasVacuum »

That's great work and must have taken some hard hours to perfect, thanks for sharing.
I think ChartDirector is a really excellent lib, but the license cost limits usage to high end apps or high sales apps.
I'm pretty sure there is enough talent on the PB forum to produce any Chart format desired......

Edit: A superb PB example by uwekel: ChartGadget for bars and lines
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
Danilo
Addict
Addict

Post by Danilo »

You may want to download the whole include and all examples here:
- http://codedan.net/downloads/ChartDirector.zip

Thanks to Oliver13 for sponsoring this contract work to the PB community!

BTW: It's cross-platform and was tested with PB 5.42 LTS on Windows, Linux and Mac. x86 and x64.
Andre
PureBasic Team
PureBasic Team

Post by Andre »

I'm just back from holidays, so not tested yet.
But this module/include looks very promising, giving endless possibilities to create fantastic charts of different types (including the several layers...). So thank you very much Oliver13 and Danilo for bringing this to the PB community! :D

Unfortunately the licence (see http://www.advsofteng.com/purchase.html) is not very clear for me:
Do I need a "developer licence" or already a "redistribute licence", when I'm creating some charts (created with ChartDirector include) for presenting data in a graphical way in my software? :?
In which cases is the cheaper "developer licence" enough? (only when I'm developing software for my own use?)
Bye,
...André
(PureBasicTeam::Docs & Support - PureArea.net | Order:: PureBasic | PureVisionXP)
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

It is as clear as mud, but as I understand it, the licensing works like this:
Developer: Use the library as a part of any app you create, the apps are for in-house use only on one PC/Server only.
Redistribution: Use the library as a part of any app you create, distribute/sell commercially apps world-wide without paying further royalties.
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
Danilo
Addict
Addict

Post by Danilo »

@Andre:
It's an external DLL on Windows, and Dylib on macOS.

If you want to share your App with the world, you need a Redistribution license -
so you can release/re-distribute the DLL/Dylib with your App.
For in-house-development only, without spreading the library externally,
you need a developer license.

In theorie you would need both, AFAIK. A developer license while you develop a software,
and later on a redist license if you sell your software and spread the DLL/Library.
At least it sounds like this.

Anyway, for a professional library license, the cost is pretty common. Saves you a lot of time
and it's very flexible to create many types of charts!
Creating the object-oriented PureBasic wrapper for this library did cost more than the library redist license itself,
and took several weeks (round about 6 weeks, including all examples), so it is very generous of Oliver13
to sponsor it for free to the PureBasic community! Thanks again, Oliver!

To test it, the demo and PB-Import is fine. It just adds a watermark to the output picture,
and you can test it to full extend...
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

Many than ks to both of you, Oliver and Danilo! That's very cool! 8)
At the moment I have little use for it. However, it may very well be that I'll need something like this in the future.
Oliver13 wrote:Note: there is a newer version of Chart director, but this may require to adapt the include file.
Possibly somebody of you have time to do this.
Maybe you want to ask Advanced Software Engineering Ltd. whether they are going to maintain the PB code?
They might be interested in adding PureBasic programmers to their customer base, especially since Danilo already has done the big basic work, and adapting the PB code for new versions of ChartDirector probably isn't too hard for them. The advantage for us PB programmers would be of course, that we always would have proper PB code for the newest version of ChartDirector. Just an idea.

Thanks again!
Andre
PureBasic Team
PureBasic Team

Post by Andre »

Thanks, IdeasVacuum and Danilo for the clarification! :D

You should be right about the difference "in-house" (= only developer licence needed) and "sharing a software product with the public" (= redistribute the DLL / dylib too, meaning a redistribution licence is needed).

And of course I see the point, that using the library could save a lot own work.... so again: thank you very much for the PB adaption! :mrgreen:

Maybe it would be a more fair deal, if the ChartDirector people would make a difference (meaning in restribution licence prices) if the library users are using their library for commercial, shareware or even free software.

Anyway it's not the right moment for me to think about Chart creation and including in my software (using ChartDirector or self-written PB code), but this should be happen in the next months... :D
Then I will again also look at existing solutions like this one by RASHAD: http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtop ... 12&t=64837
Bye,
...André
(PureBasicTeam::Docs & Support - PureArea.net | Order:: PureBasic | PureVisionXP)
Andrew Lindsay
User
User

Post by Andrew Lindsay »

Is there an example of using chart director to display the resulting chart on a dialog?

Regards

Andrew
Andrew Lindsay
-----------------------------------------
dec93
New User
New User

Post by dec93 »

Hello! Can someone reupload the PB includes and library? Link above is unavailable.

Thank you!
Zebuddi123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Zebuddi123 »

Hi dec93

ChartDirector.pbi

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j37ad70ovcthm ... r.pbi?dl=0

Zbuddi. :)
malleo, caput, bang. Ego, comprehendunt in tempore